Choosing A Dog

Choosing A Dog
Has anyone here owned an Alaskan Malamute?
I've been looking into getting a new dog, and the Alaskan Malamute caught my eye. My main concern is that it is independent, thus difficult to train. I have had experience training dogs, but they were Golden Retrievers, so I don't know if that really counts Has anyone had any experience with...
  • 7 REPLIES
What can you tell me about Pugs?
Let me start by saying that Im not exactly interested in owning a pug, moreso just interested in them. I have sort of mixed feelings about them, and I *sometimes* think they're very cute... more and more so recently. I am just curious about them. Is anyone here a pug owner? Anyone have experience...
  • 12 REPLIES
White German Shepherds?
All through my growing up years, my Uncle Tim always had white German Shepherds. I remember him showing me his AKC registration papers when I was a young teenager. The dogs looked just like any other German Shepherd, excepting the fact that they were white (not albino, their eyes were normal). They were...
  • 45 REPLIES
My Dogs!
Ok So I Did A Post Of Montana My Saint Bernard...Well I Also Have Two Pitbulls And A Lhaso And Another Animal...Here Are Pics Of All Except Montana Since He Has A Post Of Himself.
  • 3 REPLIES
papillon
to any pap onwer that can help, i have been reading up on these dogs for a few weeks now and i keep getting mixed answers. a few websites say that they are good watch dog others say that they more like a lapdog. i live in an apartment so i don't a dog that will bark every time some one opens the...
  • 3 REPLIES
Coonhounds - Black & Tan
I have a couple funny stories to share about a friend's black & tan coonhound. First, having gotten to know my friend's, I think they are great dogs but if you ever had a question this will convince you of how special they are. I know there is at least one forum member who has one of these...
  • 12 REPLIES
"Large" daschunds-Still exist?
Just curious but when I was young, about 40 years ago, a neighbor had a group of rough coated daschunds that stood about 12-14 inches at the shoulder and looked like they weighed in at about 30-35 pounds. He used them for hunting and they were "hard" little dogs, very tough and scrappy but...
  • 18 REPLIES
Yes, but what is he?-- Updated!
My boyfriend's "sterile" peke, Venus, had a puppy last april, and his name is Zobby. He's the little man in front. As of now, he's about fifteen pounds. Zobby is also a stubborn, active little man, but that just might be his age. He is very smart and focuses on people really well...
  • 21 REPLIES
My mixes - any ideas?
I have two mutts and although it doesn't really matter to me what breeds they are, I like to hear what people think... So any thoughts? This is Cuda, she's 15 months old and 35 lbs. I saw her mom, who was just as muttly as Cuda lol. This is Nico, he's 3 yrs and I adopted him as an...
  • 7 REPLIES
Another "Quess that Breed" Thread!
This poor thing was dumped at my parent's farm. I instantly fell in love with him and took him home. He is very sweet and an extremely fast learner. I got him last Saturday. He was vet checked, neutered and got his first set of shots on Tuesday. He is adjusting well but is still waiting on full run...
  • 16 REPLIES
Breed help- Great Dane puppy? or Older mix??
I need help on what my new guy is..I rescued him and they said they thought he was a lab mix that was about a year and 3 mos. old- but he looks more like a Great Dane to me- and he's still chewing tons like a puppy--- any guesses?? thanks in advance Kerri
  • 13 REPLIES
Mountain Curs?
I've still been trying to figure out what Rafe is, and I came across a brindle Mountain Cur cross that looked almost EXACTLY like him...Of course, I've also come across two supposed Dutch shepherd crosses that look just like him, too...soooo...there's no telling for sure... but I thought...
  • 1 REPLY
have any mixed breed owners done the DNA test?
my old dog was such a wierd mix, i wish it was available back then. anyone out there try it yet??? Despite what recent reports in the media would suggest, it is not possible to determine the breed of a dog, or composition of a dog's breeding without seeing a pedigree, which relies...
  • 7 REPLIES
Ok I would like an experts opinion
I have always been asked what Breed my dog Rockey is she is a shelter rescue that was labeled as a Saint Mix in the Kennel was Adopted to me as an aussie Mix (shelter worker didn't agree with Kennel tag and they had her age wrong by 3 months) So now I have an 80lb something any guesses?
  • 20 REPLIES
On the bandwagon - Sasha
I am seriously impressed with the posters here, so I'm throwing Sasha in. I've always called her a lab/pit mix, although I think lab-mix and pit-mix cross is more like it. She isn't a straight cross, obviously. She weighs about 60 lbs.
  • 10 REPLIES
Beagle Border Collie Mix
We adopted a beagle-border collie mix through petfinder.com. He was from a litter rescued in Kentucky. We also saw one brother and sister in the litter at the time we completed our adoption. They looked more like standard beagle then our puppy "Jack". Anyone have an idea how big we should expect...
  • 21 REPLIES
Giant Schnauzers
Do any of you guys have any information on Giants? They're a breed I've been looking into more seriously (along with Briards), and I would like to try and find a breeder. I'd like to exhibit in both conformation and schutzhund, however I don't want to import, as I would like a dog...
  • 19 REPLIES
Anyone know anything about Anatolian Shepherds?
When we adopted Peanut, she was listed as a shepherd mix, DH & I thought that meant German Shepherd mix. Our vet called her a rottweiler mix. We weren't familiar with all the shepherd's of the world as our parents owned mutts, my mom had an English Springer Spaniel. One day DH was surfing...
  • 16 REPLIES
Breed Information
Can anyone give me info on... Dobermans Belgian Malinois Pharoah Hound Border Collie Manchester Terrier Thanks!
  • 17 REPLIES
Shih-tzu owners/breeders
I have a friend on another board that is looking to purchase a shih-tzu around february. She was recently badly burnt by a shelter, and she realizes that shih-tzus have some common health issues moreso than a lot of other breeds. So anyway, she is wanting to find a reputable shih-tzu breeder that...
  • 11 REPLIES