What can you tell me about Pugs?

• Gold Top Dog

What can you tell me about Pugs?

Let me start by saying that Im not exactly interested in owning a pug, moreso just interested in them. I have sort of mixed feelings about them, and I *sometimes* think they're very cute... more and more so recently.

I am just curious about them.

Is anyone here a pug owner?

Anyone have experience with them?

Stories to share?

Breed info?

Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Just from a breeding standpoint they are a tricky breed. Mothers often aren't the best, and of course many litters are born via section.

They are very comical good natured dogs that enjoy people to the EXTREME and are really sturdy little dog in spite of their size. The one's I have met at shows have been just incredibly sweet and fun to be around. I am seriously considering adding one...but a BLACK one only...don't care as much for the fawns. Those are harder to find.

Healthwise you have breathing concerns, the usual small dog concerns of kneecap issues. They also need attention paid to their eyes and skin folds as both are vulnerable spots.

We have pug folks here so I'm sure they have tons of info. But in my travels and research thinking of adding one...that's what I've dug up! [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    All I really know is the breathing issue.  My friend's pug just had the surgery to correct it and now it is much better.  I guess he is a little love bug.  Other than that, I am not sure.
    • Gold Top Dog
    "Wheez-wheez-wheez" is what comes to mind.[8D]  Other than that, I think they are fabulous little dogs.  A bit on the stubborn side, but very people-oriented.
    • Gold Top Dog
    They shed. They shed a LOT- the coat is short, but like a corgi or collie or shepherd, it's THICK. Other than that, what Gina said. :P 
    • Gold Top Dog
    My MIL has a three year old female Pug. Sweetest thing. Yes she does shed. Has great manners, loves everyone - kids - cats - other dogs - and of course adults. Molly love to go to Patsy house to play. Patsy doesn`t wheeze but when you pet her she purrs. Anyway it sounds like a purr like a cat makes. When ;Patsy and Molly play Patsy does get tired quite fast. That could be because she could stand to lose a few pounds in my mind. They free feed her. Loves riding in the car. She does bark when someone knocks on the door but as soon as they come into the house she is quiet again. All in all shes a very nice dog.

edited for spelling
    • Gold Top Dog
    A friend of the family had 3 pugs & they were all very sweet, easygoing little guys. Very good with her rowdy daughter. (The little girl actually wanted to grow up to be a pug "like Lillian" for a period of about 3 yrs, lol.) That's about the limit of my knowledge.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i think pugs are lovely...i especially love the black ones!
    • Puppy
    as a veterinary nurse in the uk iv seen hundreds of various breeds and i must say my heart has been stollen by Pugs! im looking for one to keep my lhasa apso company. they are an intelligent and cheeky breed, i have always thought that it is as though nobody told them they are only one foot tall! they have the attitude of a great dane in the body of a mouse! i absolutely adore them, they of course have breed associated conditions but all pedigree dogs do, crossbreeds are generally much less likely to have associated conditions. with any dog a lot of research is needed so its great that youre seeking advice from other people. in all id say a pug is a great choice, they have a wonderful personality and tons of character (or you could try a lhasa apso! but then i am biased!) [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    There very cute...don't get me wrong. But if you ever do get one, except to be paying LOTS and LOTS of vet bills in the future. There funny to watch because there MAJOR clowns, but are kind of boring because you can't do much with them cause of the TONS of health problems such as Luxating Patella (like all little dogs), Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Pigmentary Keratitis, Elongated Soft Palate, Stenotic Nares and Pug Dog Encephalitis.

Since they are a brachycephalic breed (dog with short nose) they do AWFUL in the heat. There not a dog you can leave outside all day or even take jogging. Even the shortest walk around my neighbor gets my friends huffing and puffing. They also HATE water so its not like you can take them swimming either! Because they can't get much physical excersise, they often become obese which causes MORE health problems. They snore, drool and are MAJOR shedders. Also when they get older, like around 8ish, there breathing gets worse and all you can here is there struggle to breathe, which if you ask me, THATS PRETTY SAD!

Trust me on all this information. I have a couple friends who have pugs and I have gone to a couple Pug Events myself. I myself was thinking about getting one a few years back but there health problems are too serious which is major financial income. There also REALLY hard to train. My friends Pug is about a year old and still isn't potty trained! (But that could also be because she wasn't consistent with the pup!)

I'm not trying to put down this breed or anybody who has pugs, I just want her to know what she's in for if she ever does decide to get one!

Heres a link below on a good Pug Information Website:
    http://www.pugvillage.com/genetic_issues.htm
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mollymoo

Patsy doesn`t wheeze but when you pet her she purrs. Anyway it sounds like a purr like a cat makes.

e dog.

The purring is usually caused from a struggle to breathe and stuffed sinuses. Its cute but kind of sad if you actually understand that its not "purring" pursay. My friends does the same thing.
    • Puppy

They are truly amazing dogs.  I have two, Guinness and Murphy (yes, I also love Irish beer) and they are the loves of my life, of course, in addition to my fiance.  They aren't expensive dogs, as we have never had a problem with either.  They do shed!  Don't be fooled by their short coat, as there is a ton of it!  but with regular brushings, all is well.

They are clowns.  little people in fur coats I'd say.  Too much fun for words.  They will do everything in their power to make someone laugh.  Ironically, my too pugs couldnt be more different.  One is a very independant dog, while the other wants to be in our laps constantly.  Nature vs. Nurture?  Hmm...

Overall, I am a huge advocate for pugs.  They do not do well in extreme heat or extreme cold, but they are very entergetic and love to play!

Thanks,

Pug Mama

• Bronze

DH and I got our first pug in 1988, He was a fawn boy and he was in all ways a great dog for us. We didn't have any problems with housebreaking him or training him in any other way...he was a total people pleaser. We always had a joke that if anyone ever broke into our house he'd lick them to death.Big Smile If it was extremely hot we kept him out of it, but in our cold winters he always shoveled snow with me and did just fine. He never had any health problems and just went to the vet for his routine things. As others have said, he did shed horribly, but he was worth it to us! He passed away at 15 years old.

We now have our second pug and he is already 8 years old. He is also a fawn and was super easy to train. His breathing is a little rattly, but he is a little overweight, which the vet said to get it off and we are. Up to this point he has aways had a clean bill of health and again, he sheds bad like I think they all do. He is super loving to everyone...sometimes when they don't want him to be, have to make a few corrections once in awhile.

DH and I will always have at least 1 pug at all times...after the two boys we've had and the pleasure they have brought us we'll never be without one. Great dogs in a small package!