have any mixed breed owners done the DNA test?

• Gold Top Dog

have any mixed breed owners done the DNA test?

my old dog was such a wierd mix, i wish it was available back then.

anyone out there try it yet???

Despite what recent reports in the media would suggest, it is not possible to determine the breed of a dog, or composition of a dog's breeding without seeing a pedigree, which relies on the pedigree being genuine. This is about to change however, with the launch of a DNA test that can tell you what breed of dog you are dealing with if you are unsure.

MMI Genomics, a subsidiary of the life science group MetaMorphix, Inc., announced today the launch of the first commercial, DNA-based, diagnostic test that can genetically determine the breed composition of dogs. Canine Heritage(TM) is a diagnostic test that uses MetaMorphix's state-of-the-art, SNP-based, DNA technology to certify up to 38 major breeds. The Canine Heritage(TM) test is easy to administer and requires only a cheek swab sample to be mailed to the company for analysis. Results are returned to owners in 4-6 weeks.

"This is very exciting news for dog lovers," said Dr. Ed Quattlebaum, Co-Chairman and CEO of MetaMorphix, Inc. "The first question always asked of mixed-breed dog owners is, 'What kind of dog is that?' Now, owners need not guess and can say with certainty, 'The Canine Heritage(TM) test showed that my dog is a mix of Labrador Retriever, English Setter and Border Collie'. In addition to better understanding your pet's behaviour, your dog's breed analysis can enable you to work more closely with your veterinarian to develop a lifetime health and wellness program."

In America, where the test is being launched, rescue organizations and animal shelters account for roughly half of the 6 million dogs taken home per year and only 25% of these pets are purebred. Beyond an adopter's innate curiosity about their new pet, owners are interested in their dog's breed composition so they can make informed decisions that ensure happy and healthy lives for their animals.

The test could have far reaching ramifications in the UK too, should it translate to the British market. With many owners of dogs of a certain size or appearance being accused of owning illegal breeds, they may be able to prove the heritage of their dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i've had a couple of questionable mixes but its too late to test them since they are no longer with the living... and the dogs i have now are obvious American Bulldogs lol 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I haven't, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has. I've heard some people have gotten really unlikely results though.

When they have more breeds, I may do it. But out of the 38 breeds they have, I can only see a few as even remotely possibly in Cherokee's mix, namely lab and chow, which is what I called her for years. I really think she may be part Australian Kelpie, though I'm not holding out any hope that they'll ever add that breed to their list.

I just can't believe they don't have any kind of "pit bull-types" on there. A huge number of unknown mixes HAVE to have pit in them.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've heard some people that were very disatisfied with their test results. One tested her obviously practically purebred Aussie and it came back as some sighthound breed, collie, and - chihuahua! There was one wasted test fee.

Knowing what I know about breed histories, I don't see how they can do this. Aussies and Border Collies have been freely crossbreeding with other breeds until just about thirty years ago. This is true of many breeds of hunting hounds and working terriers, too. Many breeds are actually reconstructions of heritage breeds, or only very recently "set" in phenotype.

I honestly wouldn't waste my money. Rescued mixed breeds are an example of love and sacrifice and don't need fancy breed names to add to their worth.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Rescued mixed breeds are an example of love and sacrifice and don't need fancy breed names to add to their worth.

I'd only do it to satisfy my curiosity. No matter the results, I wouldn't feel ANY differently about Cherokee. I've just been guessing her breed mix for 8 years, and it'd be nice to know whether I was ever even close. Though it would seem that I couldn't be sure even after doing DNA testing. Having NO idea what your dog's breed mix is, is kind of frustrating. I call her a lab mix, but that's only because she's black and a medium-large size. Lab/chow, lab/kelpie, lab/unknown. Today she looked GSD-like to me for the first time. She could have not a drop of lab blood in her, and then I'd have no guess at all... It'd just be interesting to know.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I would love to do it just for my own curiousity.  I've been told she's purebred but they had a wolf mix on the property(not that I necessarily think she's part wolf) so maybe she does have some other similar looking breed in her.  It's like trying to decide to find out if you're having a boy or a girl, LOL!
    • Gold Top Dog
    it s dissappointing they are so inconsistant and seemingly WRONG. it seems like fun, especially with all the "guess the breed" games we play in this forum! also when i worked at a shelter, there would be dogs that came through that we would all have a different opinion on...and egos when it came to "who's right?"

but an expensive FUN thing. if i had a mixed breed with troubling/puzzling behaviors i would certainly buy it in an effort to better understand the dog. but in light of the dissappointing results, i would probably wait until they worked out the kinks.

maybe for my MIL's dog...[:D]
    • Bronze

I didn't do it on my own dogs but we took part in a pilot program for one of the test places and sent in some samples.  A co-worker's adorable little doxie-terrier (best guess) came back as briard, terrier, doxie, and tibetan spaniel.  Hmm.  2 of 4 were likely correct but briard?  I joke with her about her rare teacup wirehaired briard, LOL!

It's supposed to be for entertainment only.  I guess you get what you pay for.