Breed help- Great Dane puppy? or Older mix??

• Silver

Breed help- Great Dane puppy? or Older mix??

I need help on what my new guy is..I rescued him and they said they thought he was a lab mix that was about a year and 3 mos. old- but he looks more like a Great Dane to me- and he's still chewing tons like a puppy---
    any guesses??
    thanks in advance
    Kerri

• Silver
    here are some more pics....

• Gold Top Dog
    He looks like a Lab to me. No Dane from what I see...that face is very Lab. No slab sided or chiseled appearance to the face, no deep muzzle with flews and prominent bone structure.

Why do you think he is a Dane? BIG? Labs can and do get tall and lanky....and some stay squat and wide....weights can go from what 45lbs-100+ and still be all Lab [;)]

Very sweet looking dog, he looks mostly if not all, Lab.
    • Silver
    He's pretty big- with a deep woof woof bark that i usually don't associate with labs- but i'm no expert-
    also his paws are HUGE .. thinking he's still growing- still chews like a puppy at any rate....

• Gold Top Dog
    looks all lab to me too. I don't see any great dane in there. A friend of mine has a lab mix and he has a very deep loud - down in the chest type bark.
    • Gold Top Dog
    How much does he weigh? How tall is he?
    He doesn't look that big from the pics...if he was even only 6 months old....a Great Dane would be 65-100 pounds, and 26"-33" at the shoulder.

That..is...BIG. Most adult AKITAS weigh about 100lbs and are 25-27" at the shoulder.

ETA: Some Labs chew their entire LIVES lol...they are a mouth breed, intended to carry things in their mouths....they like to have something in their mouths [;)]
    • Silver
    He weighs 75 pounds- and is still very skinny- we rescued him from a kill shelter down south---he's 24 " at the shoulders and his paws are 3 " across

that's where the Great Dane thought came in --
    as i said -I'm no expert- just looking for advice....

thanks for all your input--
    I really appreciate it
    Kerri
    • Gold Top Dog
    that's normal size for an adult lab. That's about the size a five month old Dane would be, except he'd have much bigger paws, huge disproportionate ears, and would be visibly enlarging day by day.
    • Gold Top Dog
    i agree, looks labby!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Also, from those photos, he doesn't look skinny- he looks PERFECT. Don't overfeed him.      
    • Gold Top Dog
    Regardless of what he is, he's beautiful.  Congrats to you on your new puppy.  I'm so glad you rescued him.
    • Silver
    I just couldn't let him be killed because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time-- that's not my style--- He actually is still a little skinny- even the Vet said he could use a few pounds on him--no more than 5--- i think a lot of it was dehydration... He looks SO much better since he's been here a few days and has been eating and drinking enough .. so maybe they were right? A lab about a year and 4 months- was what I was told originally- so no Dane? well that's a relief- I was afraid my house wouldn't be big enough for him..[:D]

He is a BEAUTIFUL boy- getting better looking by the day.. We have the light dog and the black dog, and now they make a Very good looking pair of dogs....

Maybe its my Vet- but he also said he "could" have a little dane--but not much if at all-- i guess sometimes you jus can't tell--
    whatever- he's healthy and MUCH happier now...
    • Puppy

I have two Dane Mantle puppies.  Yours is definitely a beautiful lab puppy.  His large feet are two small and his head is totally shaped like a lab.  Enjoy your new puppy!!  My boy just reached 130lbs.Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Yep, like the others said, you have a beautiful Lab there.  I'd go out on a limb and say he could mostly likely be all Lab.  Labs are a blast!  Have fun!