Can anyone give me info on...
    Dobermans
    Belgian Malinois
    Pharoah Hound
    Border Collie
    Manchester Terrier

Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I can on Dobes.  What kind of info are you looking for? 
    • Silver
    I had a Pharoah Hound many years ago - what specifically did you want to know?

He had a strong prey drive, couldn't have him around cats.  He was a pretty funny dog sometimes.  We had a newfie at the time we had the pharoah.  The newfie, of course, was in the water every chance he got, but the pharoah hound had an aversion to water.  The funniest thing he did was tiptoe out across the lake on a fallen tree, lose his balance and fall in! 

He was very elegant, didn't bark, clean, typical sight hound pretty much.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Walking lady - you have my vote for best new siggy!

What do you want to know about BCs? I could write you a book or two. Can you narrow it down? If you are wondering whether they make good pets - in general, no.[:D]
    • Silver
    Hello everyone! who can give me more info about Rottweiler puppies, like what kind of food should I give, how many times in 1 day and stuff like that, I need info for 3 months old female rottweiler.. please and thank you!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well...here are some questions to answer about all the breeds =)
    How high is their prey drive?
    Are they prone to running off?
    Will they stay in the yard?
    How high is their drive in general?
    How much excersize do they need?
    Are they capable of running beside a bike for long amounts of time?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm just going to answer in general :-)

How high is their prey drive? All the breeds you picked are what I would consider to be "high prey" breeds.  Look at what they were bred for.  The Pharoah is a courser....they're bred specifically to CHASE things.  Border Collies?  Moving stock...takes a fair amount of prey drive.  Manchester Terriers?  Ratters.  They want to kill things that move, it's what they're for.  Malinois?  Refer to Border Collie.  The only one in there that I would say has a medium to high prey drive would be the Dobie (and I know some pretty prey driven Dobes).

Are they prone to running off? Ask Ed (Xerxes) about running off.  From what I've read from him, he doesn't allow his Pharoah's off leash because they're apt to chase any and everything in sight.  ANY breed is prone to running off, you just have to train it not to, but some breeds are just not safe off leash.

Will they stay in the yard? If you train them to, but IMO, in the case of a PH, a fenced yard should be a necessity.

How high is their drive in general? I'll not touch that one ^_^

How much excersize do they need? All the breeds you chose need a fair amount of exercise time

Are they capable of running beside a bike for long amounts of time? I wouldn't see why the BC or Dobe couldn't.  The build of the Pharoah tells me it's meant for sprinting, but I know little about them, so can't really comment.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: neapolitanpitbull

Well...here are some questions to answer about all the breeds =)

Pharaoh hound prey drive is somewhat variable from dog to dog.  But be aware that other "high prey drive" dogs don't compare.  A PH is ALWAYS on the hunt. 

A Pharaoh hound will NOT stay in the yard.

A Pharaoh WILL run off.

What you consider high drive, is about 1/2 drive for a PH.

PH's need alot of exercise.  ALOT.  They need to be given the opportunity to run every day.

Are they capable of running alongside a bike?  Yes.  From about the age of 24 months on, provided they are worked up to it.  I'm sure that they would welcome the chance to run for several miles every other day or so.

Do they make good pets?  Yes and no.  If you want a dog with the intelligence of a 5 year old child, the attitude of a teenager, prone to barking loudly and often, and if you don't expect a dog that will blindly follow you-then yes, they make great pets.  However, if you think you are always right and the dog should obey you unquestioningly then NO.

PHs are smart but stubborn.  And they aren't really completely domesticated.  They are beautiful to look at but hard to live with.  (And this is from someone that absolutely adores these dogs.)

ETA:

In a multi dog household, pharaohs will rise to be the dominant dog.  It will happen in ways that you won't even recognize, they are rarely aggressive in order to achieve their ascent, but the bitches will kill to keep the status. 

The males are serious most of the time but like to have fun.  The bitches, well, they call them that for a reason; they are deadly serious and won't tolerate something so simple as an untoward glance from other dogs in their pack.  Neither sex will walk away from conflict-doesn't matter the size of the other dog.

Though they appear, at first glance, like a greyhound, pharaoh hounds are built to run and run and run.  The typical PH in Malta will go rabbit hunting a couple of times a week-from dusk until dawn.  They are tireless in pursuit of game.  The more they run the faster they get.  Since they have the flat muscle, rather than the round muscle of the greys or whippets they have super endurance. 

Also know that these dogs are FAST.  35-40 mph fast!  And they can be at full speed within about 5 strides. 

• Gold Top Dog
    I can help with Dobes.

Bevo's prey drive is huge.  He wants to chase anything that runs from him.  I know of other Dobes who have less drive than mine, but they would all still be considered "high drive" dogs.
    Dobes are highly trainable, so I guess that this would depend on how much time & effort you are willing to put in on a reliable recall.  Even with his high drive, I take Bevo hiking off leash.  I can easily call him off of small animals that he tries to chase.
    Dobes are best kept indoors with their families.  They were bred to work closely with their people, therefore, most Dobes are not truly happy outdoors without supervision.  Again, Bevo could go over my 6 foot fence when he was 4 months old, I had to invest in invisible fencing as well, just so that I could walk out of my gate to check the mail.
    They are high drive all the way around.
    I know that my dog is likely at the high end of the exercise needs, but I'll give you an example of his day.  In the mornings, he runs on the treadmill for about 45 minutes.  Then we go outside & play fetch or frisbee for around 50 tosses.  Then a quick training session.  In the evenings, we usually either bike 7-10 miles or we go rollerblading for 5-6 miles.  Then another training session. 
    This depends on exactly how long your looking for.  Bev can go up to 15 miles without a problem, though I usually don't push him that hard.  Since he's black, our summer exercise routine has to be altered to insure that he doesn't get too hot.

• Gold Top Dog
    I think you really need to prioritise when you're thinking about breeds. Like for me, I want a big dog that will run and play with me, but not need a run every day, and I also have an elderly little corgi with a bad back to consider, and a rabbit and a hare that share the house. I've found that I've had to prioritise what's most important for a new dog in my family to have. While I secretly want a great big hunting dog, I can't have anything that will want to kill my rabbits. I've decided that's my highest priority. My next highest is that I want the dog to be a calm influence on my old corgi, who is going blind and tends to get anxious easily. My next is that I want it to have stamina, but not drive for my personality and so on and so on. I found when talking to breeders that they would say, oh, maybe this breed isn't for you because you want this AND this. Or they might say, this breed isn't for you because you wanted this degree of activity and this breed is not quite that. So my advice is refine what you're looking for and prioritise the qualities you're looking for. As an example, lots of breeds can be raised to accept other animals and not chase them, but some will always have to potential to fly in the face of that teaching and I have to decide how important it is for me that the teaching sticks and to what degree, and then make decisions based on that.
    • Gold Top Dog
    oh my lord-amanda, you must be in the best shape!!
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'll add to the Dobie with my experience...  ;)  The questions I left off I complete agree with Bevo. 

Are they prone to running off? my Dobe was a complete velcro-dog.  He never wanted to leave me sight...or maybe it was that he never wanted ME to leave HIS sight...lol!  He would chase other animals and such, but he'd never chase them far.

Will they stay in the yard?  Mine was an outside dog (we weren't allowed to have dogs inside, or he definitely would have been an inside dog).  We have quite a few acres of land that he ran on, and he never really wandered.  He was quite content with our fields and yard.

Are they capable of running beside a bike for long amounts of time?  Dunno about bike riding, but I jogged with my Dobe for very long periods of time (I was a cross-country runner) and he never had any problems.  He loved it!  But, of course, I always carried around water and we'd take little water breaks every so often. 

You'll want to be very careful of vWD, hip displasia, and heart disease (among other things, but these three are big.  Heart disease is generally more common in males).  My boy died of heart disease at only 7...  :(  He was an amazing dog and I would have another one now if stupid BSL hadn't taken effect here.  I hate stupid people.  I'm very bitter, if you couldn't tell...lol!  Not that I don't love my shelter puppy, but when I move away from here and am able to have Dobes again, I will never be without one.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Thank you all so much! Now I'm just looking for info on Beglian Malinois' and Border Collies...[:)] Thank you all for the info, time and contributions!
    • Puppy
    I've had mostly GSD's and Mals my whole life....They are THE dog in my mind. 
    Huge...they love to work (chase people, Tennis balls) this is a dog that will Demand you pay atttention to them...They are also Extremely competative..when working him I swear he shows off....
    It all starts as a pup Mals need socialization and lots of it...the last thing you want is a fearful dog that will bite hard in a unsure situation...corrections when young should be firm but never hard handed....Chief ( my Mal) walks with the leash dragging but he NEVER comes off it when people are near...Fearful aggression can be an issue that can manifest into running off . 
    in my front yard thats a risk I am not willing to take....He does however spend hours in my back yard with a 6' privacy fence.
    He plays about ALLDAY  with my other dog...in a one dog situation a bike ride or a run is plenty.  The days that he bouncing off the walls I take him for a swim...
    Absolutly....I run 2-6 miles daily...HE WALKS AND LAUGHS AT MY PATHETIC PACE.....I have never tired him out on a run...

I always caution people when thinking about one though...this is a dog that can really hurt someone...If not shown how to behave you are asking for trouble...Its also things like learning how to read what you dog is doing, I know his reaction to strangers if its non-aggressive we're good...If aggression comes out I either Correct Quickly....or evaluate whether he right in showing aggression.  I don't want to write too much in my first post but if you are interested I will tell you anything else I didn't cover

• Gold Top Dog
    The Belgian regardless of coat covering is a dog that is reactive, intelligent, who does not suffer fools wisely which is why behavior problems can often occur when placed in the wrong home.

Most folks do not want to own a dog which standard originally read "CONSTANTLY IN MOTION UNLESS UNDER COMMAND"

They are not for the faint of heart nor the low activity.  They are very much like border collies in intensity but tend to be more "guardy" due to the original purpose.  They tend to be more like the original working dogs and have not really been changed enough to be the typical suburban pet.  If you want a belgian you need to be a serious "competition" type trainer.  You dont necessarily have to compete, but you sure better be ready to put in that kind of time and energy committment to daily training; or you and the dog will go crazy.  Not a pretty sight.