Shih-tzu owners/breeders

• Gold Top Dog

Shih-tzu owners/breeders

I have a friend on another board that is looking to purchase a shih-tzu around february.

She was recently badly burnt by a shelter, and she realizes that shih-tzus have some common health issues moreso than a lot of other breeds.
    So anyway, she is wanting to find a reputable shih-tzu breeder that does ALL the proper health testing (including hips), gives lifetime guarantees for health, and doesn't do mass breeding.

What should she be looking for?

She lives in Northern California.
    She's checked AKC, she's checked shih-tzu.org or whatever the club website address is.

Can any of you shih-tzu reputable breeders or owners recommend a REPUTABLE shih-tzu breeder that, if possible, even tests hips (which is NOT a common health testing for shih-tzus)? She realizes she might not get a dog in February. She realizes she might have to wait.
    • Silver
    I'm sorry I can't. Three of my tzus came from a local breeder and thankfully while they are all healthy she didn't do any extensive testing that I was aware off and offered no proof of any. I got my fourth tzu, my liver baby online and I have to say it wasn't a really good experience and I won't be doing it again.

All I can say is do what you're doing now. I would For Sure though in my quest make a point to check out Every breeder and their facilities in person and also check out their vet. for references along w/others who have purchased from them. It's important too to see the parents of the baby you're going to be getting also and to check the vet. records on them.

Good Luck.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'd  check AKC's website for local shows in her area, as well as her local kennel club, and contact them too. Other than that, you're on the right track. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    thanks! I appreciate the help!

I'm hoping a tzu owner comes on that lives in California somewhere and can tell me of a reputable breeder in California that they actually have experience with.
    • Silver
    I can't help either, the breeder I got mine from won't ship her dogs. Sorry.

Just doing a quick search, might be worth checking this web site out, I know nothing about this breeder, but after a quick search, this was the only one I saw that looked like it deserved more looking into.
    [linkhttp://geocities.com/pekingsshihtzu/us.html]http://geocities.com/pekingsshihtzu/us.html[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
     Shih Tzu's are very hardy and healthy dogs. Like any dog, bad breeding can make an unhealthy dog. Hope you find a breeder. She can ask vets, dog shows, AKC etc for possible breeders. Lots of people get great rescue Tzu's also.
    • Puppy
    When I got my pure bred cats I went to local cat shows and talked up the breeders.  I found 2 breeders that were within driving distance by doing this.  You might try the same with dog shows.  Not all the breeders are from out of state.  Oh and you might have to go to several shows before they take you seriously.
    • Silver
    Golden Gate Shih Tzu Club has breeder referral. .. http://www.ggstf.com/html/brdrref.html

You are going to be hard pressed to find a breeder that does hips and the whole nine yards. A lot of toy people aren't too keen on extensive health testing, and especially Shih Tzu since they are so sensitive to sedation. Members of the Shih Tzu clubs are obligated to follow a code of ethics, so even the bottom of the barrel in the Shih Tzu club are still going to be far better than going to a pet store or byb.

I only have experience with dog people in So Cal so unless you're willing to make that drive, I can't be of much help.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I have not used this breeder; however, if I were going to get another Tzu from a breeder, I would at least check her out.  She shows and also competes in agility with her Shih Tzu (plural!).  [:D]It's really funny to see her at a trial: She lines up these little hat-box type crates and the Tzus are barking and practically rolling their soft crates on the ground, going nuts to run the course next - she just takes out one at a time and runs them.  I inquired about her after a local trial and was given this website address.  She is located in New Jersey I think.  I enjoyed the interview on her site - it gives a lot of information about the roots of her breeding practices.  I wouldn't think she will ship her dogs; but maybe she has a reputable reference out west? [8|]
    [linkhttp://olivesgroveshihtzu.com/index.html]http://olivesgroveshihtzu.com/index.html[/link]

• Gold Top Dog
    Well, she didn't go breeder and buy.
    She finally was talked into giving rescue another shot and apparently some 16 year old went behind her mother's back and bought a puppy from a breeder. Mom said no and breeder would not take puppy back, so puppy went into rescue.

I don't remember his name, but here he is:

He is 10 weeks old.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Okay that's officially the cutest thing I've seen all week!
    • Puppy
    Oh my, I agree, that is just too Cute. 
    here is our little baby Girl, still with her mom.