Choosing A Dog

Choosing A Dog
Are personalities a good way...
To figure out what breed mix a mutt might be? Cherokee "looks" lab-ish, in that she's 60 pounds, drop-eared and black, so it's easy and believable to call her a lab mix. But she does not have a lab personality AT ALL. She hates the water, she won't retrieve, she's not a bouncy...
  • 19 REPLIES
The Purpose of Beagles, Cocker Spaniels, Chis, and Cairns?
I’ve heard that different breeds of dogs were originally bred for a specific purpose. Can you tell me what Beagles, Cocker Spaniels, Chis, and Cairns were bred for?
  • 9 REPLIES
Bernese Mountain Dogs (and large breed care in general)
DH and I have gone and lost our hearts to the Bernese Mountain Dog! I knew one several years ago and she was darling as a pup and a wonderful adult dog as well. Currently we have 2 bichons and a minpin (old man, 12 and grumpy, but still very spry). I showed bichons and toy poodles in conformation...
  • 17 REPLIES
double merle aussies
we've been looking at getting a second dog for the house (and for little Zoey- JRT), and have been watching the usual online posting places for a dog that really calls to us (if it were only up to me i'd be getting another jack, but the bf wants something more like his old dog r.i.p. Maggie)...
  • 20 REPLIES
Canine Behavioral Genetics Study - Implications for BC Breed
The following was posted by my friend Melanie Chang, who is involved in the Canine Behavioral Genetics Project. Permission to crosspost - please do not abridge or delete content, however. Dear owners, trainers, and handlers, Over the past two years, my colleagues and I have asked the working Border Collie...
  • 0 REPLY
Adding another dog to our pack of JRTs
It will becoming up soon and its my other half's choice for her own dog. She wants a happy go lucky dog and she did fall in love with the Shih-Tzu and she does want a foo-foo dog but is willing to change. We did go to a big dog show and other breeds opened up her mind more like PBGVs, Clumber Spaniel...
  • 4 REPLIES
I might have finally found a breeder!
As some of you may know, I've been trying to find a German Shepherd breeder who felt right to me. Well Liesje suggested a breeder only a few hours away from me in Aldergrove. We've been sending emails back and forth for a bit and she's answered all my questions and just today she offered...
  • 15 REPLIES
Guess What Breed (dumdog)
Can you guess? when i first saw her i scratched my head and had to think for a second..... was this some breed i'd never heard of or... just a usual breed but in a different colour that i'm not used to seeing? .....never HAVE seen i should say.....
  • 18 REPLIES
What mix?
Here are the three puppies: [IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q291/Sowilu/dumpedpuppies004.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q291/Sowilu/dumpedpuppies001.jpg[/IMG]
  • 11 REPLIES
x-posted from Horse Forum: Breed Quess and ?s (aDork)
A little back story: Sam is 62 pounds and approx. 20 inches at his withers. He has a lot of black spots on his skin that show through his short/thin coat. Sam came from a shelter in northern Iowa that was having trouble placing him due to his 'breed' and the 'No pits in city limits'...
  • 4 REPLIES
What could he be a mix of?
Snow is a puppy that belongs to a lady that brought him to me b/c her kids were fighting over him and the father got tired of hearing the fuss over him. She told me to find a home for him but I talked to her and asked her to speak to her husband since he is the only one that doesn't approve of the...
  • 16 REPLIES
Puppy breed guessing
My sister in Florida found this puppy today. She's gonna try to find her home, but in the area she's in, plus how skinny she is, it seems unlikely that the pup has a home, or at least a home who cares. I don't know if she's keeping it if it has no home.. Anywho.. I'm just curious...
  • 22 REPLIES
Any Irish Wolfhound owners?
Hello, We have a year old Wolfhound, Loulou. She's great! It would be nice to compare notes with other owners.
  • 10 REPLIES
Name this dog
Hi my name is Greg, I am a new member and I have a question, who can name this breed? I got him from a rescue and I am preety sure what kind of breed he is but...... and for some reason I cannot post ti his photos so you can check my profile for more photos, Thanks.
  • 19 REPLIES
Any PBGV lovers?
Hi everyone, Got a year old petit basset griffon vendéen. Love her! She's such a busy little clown! Don't know any one who owns one. Very rare in Canada. Would like to compare notes with any PBGV owner.
  • 2 REPLIES
Supposed Vicious Breeds......
This is more of a rant then a question, I guess owning two APBT's just wear on me sometimes though. I get so sad and discouraged sometimes when I see other breeds being granted allowances my dogs don't because they are pit bulls. I'm not talking about stuff like dog parks or Petsmart boarding...
  • 30 REPLIES
Cairn Terrier Info. Owners only please.
We are thinking about getting a cairn terrier. (A friend offered to give us one of his.) Could a few cairn owners tell me some of their pros and cons? Like how much do they shed? What is their energy level? And how good of apartment dogs are they? Plus I have a baby so I don't need a yappy dog that...
  • 20 REPLIES
Here is Bellas pictures - What do you think????
Here is a few pictures of Bella. What do you think she is a mix of? Gee I hope this works. [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/gantique/bella3.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/gantique/bella5.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/gantique/bella4.jpg...
  • 23 REPLIES
What Breed is Bella?? **lots o pics**
I've always wondered what breed bella is. Anyone have any idea's?? She was a rescue as a puppy......... this is pretty current - playing with ice cube trays - her tail looks docked in this pic, but it's not this is her playing with the other two - to kinda give you an idea of how big she...
  • 9 REPLIES
greyhound as 2nd dog to JRT
We are looking to adopt a new fur-baby to be a companion to our Zoey, a JRT who just turned 1 yr old, possibly adopting a greyhound. First, let me tell you all more about Zoey. She does well with our cats, but loves to run and play with other dogs more than anything! She is well socialized with dogs...
  • 18 REPLIES