which breed?

• Gold Top Dog

which breed?

I've posted before a few months back, but I cant find the thread to refer to so I guess I'll start a new one... 

I'm still researching which breed of dog I would like to get this fall/winter when my foster pup gets placed. It would have to be 20 pounds or lighter since that might make it a lil easier to find an apartment when I move out.

I would like a breed that I could do a variety of tricks with, obedience (I show obedience for 4H so they dont need to be perfect..just a breed that isnt toooo stubborn), gets along well with children (I have neices and nephews, but they arnt rough. they pretty much ignore the dogs when they are over which is like 2 times a month...) and other animals, likes to play but not in your face with a ball 24/7, and just a dog that likes to cuddle with you on the couch. I would love to have a true hairless chinese crested but my parents dont like the way they look so it might take some convincing if it turns out thats the breed for me. Right now my dad wants me to get a chihuahua (I love chi's too, but just checking out other breeds before I decide to get one.) but my mom doesnt like them and wants me to get a dachshund, which I love too, or a boston terrier, but my sister has one and I wouldnt really want another one. I have asked my mom about taking me to a shelter to adopt a dog, but she is nervous the dog will have issues and stuff because her friend adopted a dog and she had it for 2 yrs and it bit her and made her bleed and had to put her down because of it. So I think right now shes pretty much against it right now.... :\

My parents, 2 brothers (11 and 16), my sister (19) and I (14) will be living at the house and atleast one person will be home all the time, and if not the pup will be crated.

We have a biggggg fenced in yard they could run around in and at the time I get the pup we will have two dogs at the house (My foster will have graduated service dog school, and my sister will most likely have moved out with her boston terrier) our 4 yr old female golden and a 6 yr old male pembroke corgi.

What breed of dog do you think would fit into our household? Please share everything you know about the breed and if you own one please post pics! :]

Thank you!

• Gold Top Dog
    How about a Chi-x From your local shelter?
    • Gold Top Dog

Have you considered a Papillon?  I love love love Papillons.  I think one might fit your criteria well.  They are just slightly larger than Chihuahuas.  I have never owned one, so I do not have any personal experience to share, but perhaps some of the Papillon owners on the forum can answer your questions if you have any.

Regarding a shelter dog...did your mom's friend's dog just suddenly develop agressive behavior?  Were there issues all along?  I don't know the circumstances, but it makes me wonder if the dog had any hidden health issues that could have been to blame...something that might have been treatable.  Maybe you could explain that to your mom.  Or, why don't you go through a rescue that has their dogs in foster homes, so that you will know something about the dog's temperment before you adopt.  Smile

It's great that you have a nice big yard for your dogs to run around in.  I would caution, though, if you get a chi to never let it out without human supervision.  Birds of prey are always a danger.  Little dogs are also easily stolen.  I have noticed that a lot of Chis and other small breeds have gone missing in my area recently, and it has made me wonder.  Also, if you haven't already thought about this, please make sure your fence is absolutely escape-proof.  My Chi can and does fit through the tiniest of holes and gaps (and he's really good at finding them)!

• Gold Top Dog

What about another corgi? Tootsie is an excellent apartment dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

What about a smaller poodle? There is one that the park that we go to - and that dog does back flips!! NO LIE!!! It's adorable - and I'm not a poodle fan! But as you know, poodles are very smart dogs. I also dog sat a Boston that did a ton of tricks, like dance, crawl, etc.

But I think you could train any dog to do those types of tricks, you just have to start them young.

Do you think you could convince your mom to at least LOOK at the dogs in the shelters? There's one in Downers Grove that's pretty small, but the volunteers there are really good. I got my cats there 14 years ago, and they have no behavioral problems, and are super sweet. You just have to know what questions to ask to get all the info on the dog. Some places wont volunteer all the info - you have to ask, and then ask again.

• Gold Top Dog

Any of these guys float your boat? (along with the other breeds mentioned)

Pug - I <3 pugs...lol!  They will be a breed I'll get when I'm older and don't want to deal with obnoxious huge dogs (which I love right now).
    Fox Terrier or JRT - May be a little too "in-your-face" for you, but just thought I'd throw it in there.
    Mini Schnauzer - These guys seem to have several health problems, but otherwise I think they fit fairly well
    Mini Bull Terrier - Another breed I'd love to have when I can't handle the big dogs anymore...a little more on the "obstinate" side, and may have issues with other dogs (although I doubt there would be a problem if you got a pup and socialized him/her with the other dogs)

I think a cool little shelter dog would be your best bet, but I know how people can have bad experiences and think that that's how it works all the time.  I bet several people on this board can vouch that their shelter puppies are little angels.  I know mine is an amazing dog, definitely more than I ever could've dreamed of as far as shelter doggies go.  I think they're the best kind!  And, even if you're not so into the mixed breeds, there are tons of purebred dogs sitting in shelters and rescues waiting for a good home.  I won't pressure you too much though...  Wink

• Gold Top Dog

how about a cocker spaniel?

genrally mellow, but fun loving dogs. they love playing fetch, and will do anything with you... they have quite a prey drive though, so if you have small pets, like bunnies or birds a bit of management might be at hand. i hear they can be barky, but i dont have that problem. moca (see signature pic) is pretty quite. she loves to play, but is totally okay with just sleeping on you lap all day. if you've had enough, she's totally ok with sleeping in her own bed all day as well. basically moda really is ok with everything! lol

they are super food motivated, which in my experience actually hinders training sometimes. i'm mostly just training by voice now, cause treats are SOOOO distracting. the brain switches off. lol...

also something you should be aware of is their issues with submissive peeing. if everyone in the family is dog savy and can follow instructions, it can be overcome quite easily though and is mostly just seen in younger dogs.

also health issues of course, particularily skin and ear infections...

but hey, their temperment sounds like what you are looking for. might be a bit over your weight limit though. but they are lovable dogs, so it might not be that hard to find an apartment with them...

• Gold Top Dog

My sister has a Smooth Fox terrier that pretty much fits the bill.  He's about 22 lbs (a bit overweight), but a bitch would be somewhat smaller.

• Gold Top Dog

Go to the shelter.  The two best family dogs we've ever owned were both randomly acquired mixed breeds.  For the most part, a dog is what you make of it, and everything you describe is largely a result of training and upbringing.  My son is training a sheltie/chow/Leonberger and they are both having a blast.  Maggie, a spitz mix, is the Best Kids' Dog Ever and she's learned everything and done well in everything from obedience to service dog stuff to flyball and agility.  I never looked for either of those dogs, both just "happened" to us.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm realllllyyyy interested in the hairless crested and found a breeder in Alabama.

http://www.baldparkchinesecresteds.com

What do you think of them? Good breeder or no?

still doing research and everything on alllll breeds.

Any other suggestions are welcome :]

• Gold Top Dog

Do you have some reason for picking a breeder in AL?  There's some superior breeders much closer to you.  I'm not hugely impressed.  I'd be questioning this person very closely on their breeding goals.  A quick scan of the pedigrees reveals no real preference of style or direction (as towards fixing some particular characteristic in their lines). 

Have you been to a show and met some breeders and dogs yet?  That's the route I'd go to find a Crested puppy if I didn't already have a good idea of where to go now.  There are SO many breeders out there like the one who produced my Zhi - really great breeding sires purchased in, and a whole stable of "meh" unproven females.  Zhi's sire was an N'Co dog and was purchased as a titled dog, while her mother was also from an excellent kennel as well.  But the breeder wouldn't be able to tell you why she matched those two lines - because the real reason was that those were the ones she had that were ready to breed!  It worked fine for Zhi but not so much for later pups from that kennel.  :(

Ask any breeder you talk to, about their showing experiences, and how they select the parents of puppies.  You should hear something along the lines of, "I'm hoping to improve toplines" or "So-and-so has lovely skin - I'm hoping she'll give this quality to pups from this sire who throws pups with excellent reach and nice fronts." Or, "Both of them are very eager to please and confident, and I'm hoping to fix this quality in my line."  The goal of each new generation should be to improve the previous one.

Please run away if you hear something like, "She's so sweet and smart and I just know these two will make cute puppies with pretty colors!"   That's a person who actually has no particular reason for breeding whatever pair, other than knowing that their puppies will sell well.

• Gold Top Dog

Cresties are a great option.  They were our second choice when we were first researching looking for a toy dog.  

I am a bit biased, but papillons are AMAZING little dogs.  They are a great little breed and might be worth considering too.  They're great for agility or obedience- highly trainable and ridiculously smart.  They are higher energy, though and very velcro.  However, just because they're fast and ready to go doesn't mean they always go.  Mine are all crashed right now.  However, they are a breed you need to do something with but that doesn't sound like an issue to you. 

• Gold Top Dog

HHHmm? Reading your post made me automatically think if  Blue Heeler or also known as a Australian Cattle Dog. They do well with agility, fetch, and are EXTREMELY smart and loving towards their family. They get along with dogs, cats, and kids very well and they have minimal grooming needs and are not large dogs but sure can handle their own. One of my first dogs as a child was a heeler and he was amazing. He was my best friend! Here is a pic of a pup.....

• Gold Top Dog

I have seen a few cattle dogs like you describe.... But for most folks,,, way too much dog with way to much energy, intelligence and guardiness if not well trained and socialized.

• Gold Top Dog

mrv

I have seen a few cattle dogs like you describe.... But for most folks,,, way too much dog with way to much energy, intelligence and guardiness if not well trained and socialized.

Very very true but man they are SO smart and useful when they are good. After I posted that I thought of their nippi-ness but I cant get over how intelegiant they are. Too smart for their own good?.......oh ya, LOL!