September-Death to mosquitos month

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

September-Death to mosquitos month

Not walking the river path at the dog park until there is a frost. Gnats go right through the deet. Thanks to several rains a week, we have mosquitos everywhere. Watched a family of tourists taking advantage of the path. They made it about 10 ft into the woods before giving up. It's really too bad as the river walk is really a pretty walk. About a mile long, through a river bottom woodland and along the river.

Dog park has a low spot in one corner that the dogs have discovered. Fun to watch the other owners running and yelling to get the dogs out of the mud. I told Sky "NO". He left it alone. It's got nothing to do with my ability to train, and everything with his desire to obey. I tend to show off a bit with him. Bringing him from a dead run to sit is fun to watch. And walking him at heel with out a leash seems to surprise people.

Grass is still growing to the point where I mow twice a week. And thanks to the rain, our new highway is about a month behind schedule. They are working Saturdays when it's not raining.

We decided to reside the house. Chunks of paint are falling off in a few places. That should complete the first round of renewals to the house. Now we can start on the repairs to the stuff we replaced when we moved in. Doors, windows, roof, heating, appliances. kitchen. Get it done and enjoy it before we have to move to something smaller with helpers to clean.

• Gold Top Dog

If I could get Garth to do the things Sky can do, I would be showing him off all the time. Good boy Sky

• Gold Top Dog

prayers, those famous idog w and prayers for Mother please. She had emergency surgery for her appendix in the very early hours monday morning. She is not doung well. Heading to michigan either tomorrow or friday, evening depending on my sisters update romorrow.

In the past year dementia has stolen so much from her. She doesn't deserve to die in pain and confusion.

• Gold Top Dog

Aww Glenda I am SO sorry.  Man I am right there with you.   In honesty, I can not be sorry my Mom didn't survive those mini strokes.  Had she needed to be in any kind of facility it would have destroyed her.   Seeing them so diminished is just ugly ugly ugly.  She has my good thots and prayers for a really good recovery.

• Gold Top Dog

Glenda, sending a ton of prayers and positive vibes for your Mom, you and your whole family. Safe travels, too.

Callie, do you have the link to the candle site we used to use? I don't have it any more but a friend's springer went to the Bridge far too soon, and I know a candle would be a good thing. Thanks!

A bit of rain heading through here. Rock is unsettled, Mozey is hiding, and Ronnie is his usual self! Cool temps with low humidity coming tomorrow! Yeah!

• Gold Top Dog

Gratefulness doesn't let you do what we did before -- you can't set up something that many can access like that.  They renovated their website a year or two ago and you just can't "do that" any more.  It's sad -- it was a wonderful help.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Lowes had a grand opening event for their dog park improvements.  Sky and I attended-it was during our normal visit.  They threw a tarp over the table so that could unveil it dramatically.  Sky marked the tarp.  Then they unveiled.  Actually a good turn out.  Beautiful day, cool and sunny.  TV coverage and newspaper coverage. from the Mankato Free Press.  Sky and I made the cover, as Sky was going over the high jump gracefully.  He was unimpressed with the photo though.

It took me over a month to break anything on my new mower.  Hit a stump and bent the blade down.  Made it into a circular cutting plow.  I don't understand the physics behind the bend, but did discover that changing the blade is easy.

It is going to rain again.  Two clear days in a row.  Need to get Sky out before it starts.

Glenda-Being with your parents at the end is a mixed blessing.  You want to be there for the end and spend every minute you can with them, but it hurts every second.

Motor cycle just went down the road in front of our house with his throttle open.  Due to the new highway, you can drive about 200 yards either direction before you are in deep mud.  We had one truck discover this the expensive way (beer may have been involved).

• Gold Top Dog

Glenda, hugs from Arkansas have a safe trip.  

Kate, sorry about your friends  Springer.  I cant believe we cant access the Candles anymore, I really liked that site.

" Sky and I made the cover, as Sky was going over the high jump gracefully.  He was unimpressed with the photo though."

Doug we must have a link :)

We finally got a little rain yesterday, it was needed.  

If I ever get the pics someone took I wll try to share the family "pooch" pics.  we took at our Labor Day cookout.  Loads of fun.

• Gold Top Dog

I lit a general candle at gratefulness.org and then sent the link for the candle to my friend. She got it and emailed back already. So, it's working but  as Callie explained, there isn't an iDog specific area.  

I Google the newspaper Doug listed and found the article and pictures after I searched the paper for "dog park." Lowe's really did a nice job--I'm going to ask our Lowe's here if they have any plans. Sky looked like he was having a ball jumping. There seemed to be a limit on the number of articles you could view for free, so I don't know if a direct link will work. Doug, you and Sky are famous! We're going to need Sky's "pawtograph" :-)

We have gorgeous, cooler weather today with low humidity. I have to teach Saturday, so I took today as a work on the fence/yard/garden day. The fence continues to be a multi-year project, but it's coming along. I don't do hot weather, so as soon as it heated up I stopped fence post hole digging!

We have tomatoes and kale galore. Doug, I'll trade you some 'maters for some Honey Crisps!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

If you are not a subscriber, the paper limits your view.

We had a banner year with tomatoes  and finished the season with a BLT made with a Better Boy slice that covered the whole piece of bread.  Yes, it was good.

And it's raining again.  Apparently Minnesota is becoming a rain forest.

www.mankatofreepress.com/news/dogs-woof-it-up-at-par…

I'm the one in the red shirt.

• Gold Top Dog

Awesome article with you and Sky... As Kate said definitely   "We're going to need Sky's "pawtograph" :-) "

That is a wonderful thing.  We don't have a "dog" park per say in Prairie Grove, but we do have 2 parks that allow dogs on the trails.  We also have a lot of dog related events to raise money for our No-kill pound , there is a group that supports and gets the dogs out as quickly as possible to foster homes and shelters.  Friends of the Prairie Grove Pound is a big fund raiser.  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Beautiful morning today.  Decided to hit the WMA  by the river.  It's about 5 mile south of us, but there are detours.  Start out by driving 6 miles east, then 5 miles south, then 6miles west, then a little south and west.  Reverse to get home.  Hot and sunny.  Sky has always had some trouble with heat, so we pack water for him.  he had a great time running, then kidding in the shade. This WMA is partially reclaimed sand and gravel pit.  The front is being mined for sand for our highway work right now.  Big hole in the ground.

My wife likes to collect rocks for the garden.  Usually not a problem, but the one she likes was about 50# and we were about a half mile from the truck.  Near the road, but a long walk to the truck.  Pup is napping now, and I am going to join him.

• Gold Top Dog

I know this is not the place for this post but I cant seem to add a thread at Rainbow Bridge.

We have lost our sweet Hot Shot, Gotcha day  May 10th 2008  crossed the bridge September 18th 2016

Run Free Sweet boy.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, what sad news. I am so, so sorry to hear of Hot Shot's crossing to the Bridge. Many, many gentle hugs and thoughts coming from us (((hugs))). Run free Hot Shot, and bring greetings to all the dogs  (and others) you meet from all of us.

• Gold Top Dog

Doug, I wonder if you could add a thread to The Rainbow Bridge forum with the news about Hot Shot?