The vet lost Ginger. (Update.. Bad news though)

• Gold Top Dog

Gosh poor ginger! I would be angry at the nurse for letting such a thing happen.

Tomarrow when you go out looking for her try asking local farms near the vets office.

• Gold Top Dog

I've never been to a vet that didn't have a securely fenced area for pee time. Even then, the dogs are still taken out on leash. I guess that isn't common everywhere???

• Gold Top Dog

I was just thinking (but now it's late and not such a great idea, but maybe for tomorrow) if you know the names of the roads around the vet's office, you could look up the occupants on those roads and get their phone numbers if listed.  You could call and talk to or leave messages about what happened and ask them to keep an eye out and give them your info.  Blanketing their mail boxes with fliers can be a good idea too but sometimes people toss them if they haven't seen the dog and then if they see it later, they don't have it to get your info but they might save a voice mail or get your info down if they talk to you directly.

PM me if you need help with this, I can sometimes find county info listing streets, etc.  There are things called criss cross directories that list all the people on a certain street that local libraries usually have on hand.  Some are online as well.

Oh gosh, I'm just sick thinking about that poor little girl out in the cold, dark night.  Thank goodness they didn't lose her AFTER her spay and she'd be recovering with an incision and all!  OI!  I'm keeping everything crossed and praying to the lost doggie gods! 

• Gold Top Dog

I can't. . .OMG!  I don't even know what to say about how she got lost.  But, we've always thought she was so damn cute and we will pray for her safe return to you. 

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

dyan
    BUT I also think it IS the clinics fault, and  that they had more resposibility than looking for her for an hour or so.  They have the responsibility to find her....right away. Call whatever and whoever it takes to find your dog. That is what they should have done that right away.  And to tell you it is raining too hard and they are busy is just not good enough.  Not at all.

I agree.  They should have called ACO and the owner right away.  I'm appalled.  A dog getting loose - ok, yes, it happens... accidents happens.  But the conduct after an accident (on the part of the vet's office) is what is telling a pretty ugly story!!

Sending all kinds of vibes that Ginger is found by a kind stranger, since she is so friendly, and is warm and safe for the night.  Hopefully the vet's office was smart enough to have the paper/plastic vet id collar on her.  At this point, I'd be so angry and suspicious that I might imagine someone there just wanted Ginger and decided to make up this story.  Not likely, but it still was the first thought in my head.  Putting the angry thoughts aside and sending POSITIVE ENERGY FOR A SAFE RETURN. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Sending good vibes for a safe & happy return.
    • Gold Top Dog

Sending good vibes for Ginger. This did happen to my parents dog once when I was young. The vet called right away and searched all over but couldn't find our Lily. She came back about 12 hours later, but it was terrible waiting and searching.

One thing that has worked for a few people I know is to leave a car or crate open with her familar things in it near where she went missing. That way she can find her way home to a safe place, even if it's remote. Apologies if that's a duplicate idea and someone already posted it.

Hope you have your beautiful girl home soon!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm so sorry this happened. My DH and I were just looking pics of her and Lillie yesterday. I wish I could be closer to you, to give you more help. I hope little Ginger appears soon. Good vibes for finding Ginger!!

• Gold Top Dog

OMG- This is terrible--I can't imagine this happening. Is it possible you could notify the police and they could maybe drive around and look for her. I don't know how big your town is. Is your family around to help? I can't believe the vet, himself isn't out there looking around, for fear of a lawsuit!

• Gold Top Dog

If you put up posters, mention that she needs meds (OK, she needs pain meds for the spay--it's a stretch, but true).  If someone finds her, they might think that she's unhealthy and will return her to you.

My fingers are crossed and "Come Home" prayers  are going out as we speak.  Good luck.

• Gold Top Dog

We do try to take dogs out to pee before surgery, but we have a securely fenced (and locked) yard we take them to that is right off of the building. And we still  leash them. A full bladder, it should be noted, also makes it difficult for the doctor during the spay. 

Accidents do happen, but they should have contacted you immediately in addition to looking for her.

• Gold Top Dog

lorib
    If you put up posters, mention that she needs meds (OK, she needs pain meds for the spay--it's a stretch, but true).

Careful with this one.  You don't want people to be afraid that she has something contagious to people or other dogs. 

Here are some more links to sites with ideas on how to find a lost dog:

What To Do If You Lose A Dog

Post lost and found pets on these websites

• Gold Top Dog

Your local animal control may know of people in your area who have search dogs and who are willing to look for lost dogs. 

Below are two search and rescue groups in Kentucky.  I doubt they look for lost dogs, but they may know folks that do or people who are training search dogs and would welcome a real search opportunity. 

Bluegrass Search and Rescue (BGSAR)

The Campbell County Search and Rescue Team
    Alexandria, Kentucky

Things to remember when searching:

• Don't give up!!  If someone finds Ginger and takes her in, it may take them a while to find you.
    • Don't make your advertising area too small.  If someone in a car picks up her up, Ginger could be 20 miles (or more) away.
    • Don't just call local shelters.  Go look!  Lots of people find their dogs in shelters after being told on the phone that the dog wasn't there.

Good luck!!  I am so sorry that this happened to Ginger.

• Gold Top Dog
    Hope you find Ginger soon!! Can you bring one of the other dogs to go help find her? The other dog might smell her, or she might feel less scared with a familiar dog there.
    • Gold Top Dog

OMG Kle, I'm so sorry!  Poor little Ginger!  Hopefully when you go searching for her today she'll here you and come running, or even better, maybe someone took her in and will contact you.  This is just so scary.  Good luck, I've got my fingers crossed and saying prayers for good news today.