The vet lost Ginger. (Update.. Bad news though)

• Gold Top Dog

I cant be out there right now. I have a 2 year old to take care of. I've had Samantha out there already for 6 hours. She was in the car for the most part but it's getting late now and I still have to think about my daughter's well being.

JJ was going to take off but he couldnt. His boss wasnt going to be in today and JJ has to run the shift.

Ginger is so friendly that I'm hoping she stayed off the main freeway and found a person that took her in.

She has no ID.Her id is on her collar that isnt on her. She was supposed to get spayed and micro chipped today. 

Please guys I already feel bad enough I'm not out looking for her.  

• Gold Top Dog

Oh my  lord, that is just awful!  My heart goes out to you and poor little Ginger!!!  If it was my office, the nurses would not go home until they found her.  Plain and simple.  Rain, sleet, snow or shine, they lost her, they don't sleep until they find her.  Yes, sometimes accidents do happen, but anyone who has worked with dogs in a facility knows those d*mn slip leashes don't work well and you basically  have to keep tension on them at all times,  Standing there yakking while a pup slips out is BS.  And aren't spay surgeries preceded by no food or water 12 hours before surgery?  Why did she need to go out anyway?  OH, I'd be absolutely LIVID.  

I almost lost my airedale once when the stupid kennel owner (who'd been told a thousand times along with every other employee I came in contact with that Rush had no loyalty, would not come when called, and was an escape artist) threw the run door open and yelled "Go see Mommy!"  Rush decided he'd rather go see the 55 acres behind the kennel and maybe chase some critters!  She followed behind him yelling Bone! Bone! which he didn't even know as a word or reward.  I could have absolutely KILLED her!

I'm saying a little Ginger Go Home (or back to the vet office) prayer tonight!  That little face is killing me!  I can't imagine how torn up you must be!

ETA: Oh you're killing me, I didn't know she only had one eye!  Crying   Don't beat yourself up, you spent alot of time out there and have plans to spend more, you have a small child and car issues, you're doing what you have to right now, taking care of your child.  It's the nurses who should be beating themselves up and who should be out there in the rain.  I can tell you if I accidentally had a dog slip out of it's collar at the shelter and it got away, I wouldn't rest until I'd found it, or I'd make myself sick trying.  It's THEIR responsibility to search for her, NOT YOURS.  Of course you will search, but it's THEIR FAULT, THEIR RESPONSIBILITY!

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

They take collars off to prevent them from getting lost or mixed up, at least that's why we do it when we have dogs coming in for different things.

Things happen. Dogs get scared, and run. I wouldn't lay whole blame on the vet. JMO.

I agree things can happen, but I guess what surprises me is that they even take them out. Usually you aren't allowed to let them have anything to eat or drink starting the night before, so why would they need a potty break?  It's just a surprise to me and something I'll be sure to ask about if I ever have to leave one of my pets at the vet.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

They take collars off to prevent them from getting lost or mixed up, at least that's why we do it when we have dogs coming in for different things.

Things happen. Dogs get scared, and run.

Yes, but they should have something on the dog identifying it.  My vet uses those little hospital tags (like the wrist bracelets people get in hospitals) on every single dog with their name, identifying info, and what they are in there for - put on BEFORE leaving the owners hands - in the waiting room.  Then they give me my collars back.

This is very scary.  I fear this type of thing because my dogs get easily freaked and really only trust me.

I hope you find her. Sending many prayers.

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986
    Please guys I already feel bad enough I'm not out looking for her.  

I'm sorry, and if I was closer I'd go out and look for you.
    • Gold Top Dog

Ok its one thing to loose a dog but to call it quits after a hour? They should be out in the rain looking for her.

• Gold Top Dog

I asked why they took her out too. I mean she hasnt had food or water for 12 hours. They said that she was sniffing so much they thought she had to potty. Sniffing!! Not whining or barking but sniffing. What it comes down to they didnt want to clean the cage if she pottied in it.

Oh one of my friends is out looking for Ginger! She had to go to town for a few things and said that she would drive around the vet's and the houses and ask people to look out for her. 

• Gold Top Dog

Just because a dog has not eaten or drank for 12 hours does not mean that they don't have to go to the bathroom. It just doens't. We walk all our dogs before they have surgeries. Having them go while under is not fun to clean up. The slip leashes are not as bad as you are making them out to be. Yes, you have to pay attention - but you have to pay attention with any dog, on any sort of leash. btw - you don't have to withhold water before a surgery, so maybe they did give her something to drink.

I hope she comes back. I disagree with a lot that is being said here - but I'm going to hold my tounge. that is all.

• Gold Top Dog

Poor baby Ginger! I hope she's found soon! 

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986
    Oh one of my friends is out looking for Ginger! She had to go to town for a few things and said that she would drive around the vet's and the houses and ask people to look out for her. 

That's so nice. I swear, if I wasn't across the country, I'd be out looking for her. I feel so terrible about this. It just breaks my heart. I can't imagine what you're going through. But Ginger is probably holed up somewhere out of the weather and I'm sending all the protection vibes I can muster. I'll be watching tomorrow to hear that you've found her!

• Gold Top Dog

Oh kle!  I just read your post.  I am so sorry.  My heart is breaking.  I too wish I was near you and could help.  Prayers are all I can offer you right now.  That some kind hearted pet friendly soul found your dog and is sheltering it during the storm.  And that you are reunited tomorrow! 

Take Care.  Sue and Dublin

• Gold Top Dog

I'm praying Ginger comes back soon for you!! I don't know if I would be furious or in tears if that was me....probably alot of both!

• Gold Top Dog

Sorry to state the obvious but did you post on craigslist and penny saver?

• Gold Top Dog

OMG!!! What an awful and freak thing to happen! I wish I could help you look myself. Definitely post on craigslist and if there are other vets around, take a flyer to them too in case someone brings her in to another vet. I'll be thinking about you and Ginger, hopefully some kind person has given her a place to stay tonight, and she'll be back home tomorrow.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh my gosh...what a nightmare. I work for a vet and it IS a nightmare to us.      We are always to double leash a pet...all pets even if they are not being walked.  We are to double leash them just to walk them into the back to kennel them.  We also put name band collars (with our phone number)  on them first thing, even before their collar comes off. 

I think the dogs should be taken out before their surgery, especially if they have been dropped off a while ago....whether they were allowed to have water or not. BUT I also think it IS the clinics fault, and  that they had more resposibility than looking for her for an hour or so.  They have the responsibility to find her....right away. Call whatever and whoever it takes to find your dog. That is what they should have done that right away.  And to tell you it is raining too hard and they are busy is just not good enough.  Not at all. No one wants to hear that rain or other people or dogs are more important than yours.  

This is outrageous....but it does happen. I just was on the canine amber alert that a male harliquin Great Dane just got away from a vet after a neuter....I'm not sure what state it was in...but it  does happen... probably more often than we think. 

I hope and pray so much that Ginger is found...somehow, by anyone...and returned to you.

What a horrible thing...I am so very sorry.