Welcome to August

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Welcome to August

Sky seems to be over his problem. Back to vet probably Friday for final check, but he is happy, eager to run and play, and seemed really interested in a young female labby at the dog park today. Real gleam in his eyes. May have to have the talk with him. Took Sky into the dog shop today, and he picked out a cloth squeeky toy. He carried it to the checkout, gave it to the girl. Picked it up and carried it to the truck. Seems very proud of it, even though it appears to absorb and retain drool.

Today was really a day for the books. Beautiful comfortable with a gentle breeze. Long walk this evening-Cable network is down until tomorrow.

In laws coming in a few weeks, which is what all the cleaning at home is about. My solution involves closing doors. Wife wants soap and water. She is trying to get a new carpet in the living room, but time may just be a little short to measure, order, and install. Apparently I am in charge of cleaning the basement bathroom. The door locks, but after 46 years with my wife, I recognize this as a battle I will not win.

Went to a threshing event with the grandkids and daughter. Old time baseball(really different rules), food, displays of old power equipment, food, tractors, food, steam engines, food, and a parade of tractor collections. I never knew how many models of tractors were made by the Ford company, and they all look a lot alike. Grandkids both participated in a pedal tractor pull, and had lots of fun.

• Gold Top Dog

Well the wind and rain has moved in as expected, just talked to Ron and he said Hot Shot alerted him to the storm, lol! That is like a 130lb ball of furr practically sitting on him, panting very loudly, til he wakes up. :)  

Doug I loved the description of Sky's trip to the dog shop.  I haven't taken Garth yet.  I usually go on my lunch hour.  I need to go today, put his collar on the loosest notch 2 weeks ago and yesterday I told hubby the collar is getting tight again.   Ron gave him a bath and the collar was too tight to put back on.  Need a new, bigger collar.   This boy may look like all legs but I guess the rest is also growing.

• Gold Top Dog

Could I trouble you long term members to answer some of AmythystMyst questions in the main forum please. PS Sir Doug you may have noticed I moved you post to your dedicated group.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

iMac died.  It was sad, slow and painful to watch.  Screen kept freezing at random times, needing a reboot.  You are now viewing output from HAL 3001.  Little keyboard, slippery mouse, but huge screen.  Needed something to match my exhaulted title

• Gold Top Dog

Welcome HAL  :)  

• Gold Top Dog

Glad to hear Sky is 100% back to normal, Doug.

Good luck with the "event cleaning" (as I call it, when company is due to arrive).  I have to say I side with your wife regarding the option of soap and water versus closing doors!  :-)

We had our annual National Night Out block party/BBQ last night.  It's in the cul-de-sac right along our side yard.  We usually keep Ruby crated inside so she doesn't sit at the window and bark at everyone, but last year was when she busted out of her crate and appeared at the window anyway.  So, we decided to leave her in the yard and see what happened.  Miraculously, no barking, but some whining.  She also tried to dig under the gate to get to us (we were only 10-15 feet from the fence line).  When the crowd thinned out a bit, DH brought her out on her leash, but she was very wound up.  There was one 3 year old boy (we didn't know who he belonged to) who insisted on barreling up to her , no matter how fast DH tried to walk away from him, so we put Ruby in the house.  She isn't 100% reliable around very small, too-eager children, and no one was parenting this kid, so we didn't want to risk any air snaps or worse.

Finally some cooler weather for a couple days.  I even wore jeans today -- amazing!  

• Gold Top Dog

Tracy I remember your block party, sounds like fun.   Good girl Ruby.  I do understand your concerns even if you have a perfectly behaved dog, you just never know who or what will set them off.   Garth being a 4 month old overgrown puppy it concerns me about the grandkids coming in a few weeks.  We are trying so hard to teach him manners but he is after all the "Tazmanian Devil Dog" :)  

Gotta run have  a good evening.

• Gold Top Dog

Once again, I'm unable to follow email links to threads by newer members, or I would be happy to pop into them.

We've had two absolutely perfect days, weather wise.  The heat and humidity does a major number on me, but I sure do appreciate seeing my ankles on the nice days!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Rain and cloudy.  As my lawn is a light shade of brown in the open areas, this is a pleasant relief.  Wife is trying a new recipe for tomato salsa.  Sweet, with just a little (MN standards) heat.

Just back from the vets.  Skys' BIL went from 14 to 1.3.  Shooting for about .5.  Pills through the month end-primarily milk thistle.  Sky will walk into the living room to spit out his pills.

Setting up a new computer just takes time.  Pulled settings, documents, applications from old.  Then have to download updates for everything and find replacements for some things.  My copy of Office doesn't work with this OS, so Open Office will come in.  Need to get translators for old Mac suite that wife used but is no longer supported.  Photos is not iPhoto so needed an upgrade on the Library manager.  Had the modem set wrong, so downloads were really slow.  Safari has the same name, but operates differently.  The screen is huge and the desk top is bright and colors are fantastic, but I may go back to the old wired key board.  Its full sized.

Cleaned the basement bathroom this morning.  It's the shower stall I use and then use for Sky.  Scrub with cleaner and a brush.  Bleach.  Breath fumes until sinuses are clear.  May be safe to go back in now.

• Gold Top Dog

Good report on SKY , so glad to hear it!    (Pssst SKY....you really have to swallow your pills, do not spit them out.)  

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

3" of rain in my back yard last night. I put Sky out on a line for a bit. Heard him whining. Didn't realize it had started to rain, and he was tangled up in everything. Drowned rat, very unhappy. Patio was flooding, as the drain was plugging with dead grass. Water in under the door. I will work out a drain plan that works. Patio builder had said that water would drain through the bricks-but then it hits a clay layer and stops.

New Mac is fast. I put on the old full sized key board. Not as cute, but easier for me to use. Getting used to the differences.

One of my brothers sent me notice of a Polish festival this weekend in Minneapolis, that included pictures of the Tatra, a Polish herding dog. I want one. It showed a picture of a Polish singer. Like all Polish women, beautiful. You could see the remnants of Mongolian conquerers in her genetic background. One of my brothers insists that he is German, but the rest of us are Polish. The family homeland, where our family name came from, is in the middle of Poland, but we have a bunch of relatives in Germany. The one family war hero we know about shot down 3 Spitfires, 2 Hurricanes, and assorted others before getting shot down himself. We don't talk about him much.

• Gold Top Dog

Poor SKY it has been quite a tough few weeks for him ..... He will be happy when things get back to normal.

• Gold Top Dog

Hope all is well, finally got a bit of a cool down today , it feels good to get a little relief.  I really feel bad about complaining we have been luckier that usual about the heat this summer.  

Hey Doug I think every body is lost and haven't found the Kennel, maybe a new thread from you might point them in the right direction.   :)

Gotta get back to work  take care all.

• Gold Top Dog

I know this is NDR but Glenda I have misplaced your email addy.  There is a young BMD in NY that needs a home soon,  maybe you know someone.  Sending the link; he looks so much like Hot Shot.  

bernesemountaindog.rescueme.org/NewYork

• Gold Top Dog

I didn't mean to ignore everyone else, Hi everyone.  Happy Wednesday!  We are having a beautiful day, cooler temps, no humidity.  Have a great day!