October Chatting

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
    • Gold Top Dog

I never knew it until recently but you can run afoul of some nasty bacteria in a garden and the tiniest thing can turn incredibly nasty.  Stuff like that can be incredibly painful.  

a week in Arizona sounds lovely -- altho it's way too dry there for me.  The week we had to go up to NY for my Dad's funeral -- we flew into Buffalo and drove the hour south to Jamestown.  Soon as we got off the Thruway the snow started -- snow, sleet, wet massive flakes as big as a quarter -- had over an inch of snow ON the car (driving -- and it was sticking that bad) by the time we got to Jamestown.

Callie hates loathes & despises snow - (which is why I live in Floor-daa!) and I saw enough in those 4 days in October to last me for the rest of my days (NOT that I was itching to see me some snow *raising eyebrow*) .  

David and I, in our 18th year of marriage (19th of 'together';) found ONE MORE word that means something way different in US English than UK English!!  "sleet" -- In the UK "sleet" is rain mixed with snow.  Here?  It's small hair or liquid "ice"  but usually sleet makes a sound as it hits glass.  But heck -- we had both of taht and more in less than 25 miles!!  (David actually had to look that one up to convince himself I was right LOL -- although colloquial useage can add more shades of meaning than that.)

• Gold Top Dog

Callie, you must have been in NY the same weekend my mother was driving with her friends in northwestern CT and they encountered some snow flurries. No matter how you define it, sleet is NOT a nice weather condition to drive in. I'd rather drive in plain ol' regular snow.

Glenda, you've got my sympathy about middle-of-the-night potty breaks when dressed in minimal clothing and no shoes. I've had to stand in the yard feeling very cold and exposed a few times when Ruby has been sick. I try to keep a pair of sweatpants and a fleece top on the end of my bed to grab, but sometimes there's no time and I'm outside in a nightshirt! We do keep garden-type clogs by the backdoor, so at least I'm not barefoot.

Doug, I'm glad your wife saw the doctor and has the antibiotics now. A thorn sounds pretty painful, but I suppose it's better than a toxic bite. My friend's husband found two bites on his leg a couple weeks ago, and within 48 hours they were clearly infected, so he went to Urgent Care. He's still on antibiotics and not feeling entirely well if he's on his feet too long. They couldn't be sure, but they think it was a spider. He had been working in the yard that weekend, but never felt anything bite him. It's crazy how something relatively small can become such a health issue so quickly.

They're predicting a decent amount of rain on Saturday. As much as I enjoy seeing the kids in their costumes, answering the door with Ruby is a challenge (it takes two of us), so I admit that I wouldn't mind if the weather kept most of the trick-or-treaters home. I'd rather not be going to the door every minute for 3+ hours! When we had Tonka, it was so much fun because the kids loved him and he was calm while they all petted him. But Ruby can be unpredictable around little ones, and she vocalizes while one of us holds her away from the door, so she scares the kids with her chortling!

• Gold Top Dog

Doug I am so glad your wife is  on the mend.  

So glad this week is just about over.  

Have a great evening, its very cool here and supposed to rain tomorrow.

• Gold Top Dog

Had allergy testing today. 84 needle sticks. Most tree pollens a couple molds and a couple weeks all lit me up. Not much I can do about most and I will not give up my 35 or so house plants. So shots for me.
    We had the rain all day yesterday and part of today. Now its 60 but windy. Beats rain!

• Gold Top Dog

baddog thanks for fixing it so I could post from my phone!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

84 needle sticks!!!  Didn't the Chinese have a similar torture method?

• Gold Top Dog

lOL. Sure felt like some sort of torture even though she was really good.

• Gold Top Dog
    His almost ex third wife is devastated. Could I ask for prayers for Lori and Ryan Jon and Chris?

• Gold Top Dog

don't know what happened to the first part of my post.

The deceased is my first husband and the father of my sons

• Gold Top Dog

Prayers for Lori, Ryan Jon and Chris are headed their way.  

I came this morning to ask for the same for my neighbors.  1 is the human for Garths mom, Pella.  She crossed over the bridge last night.

This morning , my other neighbor called and his wife passed last night as well.  She has been very ill to the point of not really knowing much of what was going on.  It is a blessing that she is free from the existence but sad for him and the family.  She lived in our same community since she was a girl, she was a breast cancer survivor from the 70's and she was such a tough cookie.  I am sure she is already passing by the bridge to hugs all of our pets that have passed before her.   I am thinking she was guiding Pella so she wouldn't have to go alone.  I know Rocky and Shadow and her beloved Duke are waiting for news  from home.

• Gold Top Dog

Hugs and gentle thoughts for all who need them--it seems there has been a lot going on lately!  Ginger,the image you created of your neighbor helping Pella cross made sense to me. Glenda,  Lori, Ryan Jon and Chris are in my thoughts and prayers, too.

To maybe bring a smile...Ronnie decided eating the clicker would be a good idea! My silly boy--he did "leave it" when I asked him to drop it, but he thought he had hit pay dirt. (I wonder if he was looking for treats as he made it click?) Goof ball!

• Gold Top Dog

Doug, how is your wife doing?

• Gold Top Dog

Laughing out loud at Ronnie!

Thank you both, and Ginger, sending prayers your way as well.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Wife is well.  Trying to get me involved in cleaning the garden for winter.  We are trying to catch the last three goldfish.  The first two were easy, but now they hide.  You wouldn't think a 6" goldfish could hide in a small pond, but you can not find them.  They snug up to the wall behind leaves or other garbage.

Took Sky to another WMA today.  The little boys genetics are really showing.  He hunts.  He tracked one bird for several hundred yards and flushed it.  I was several hundred yards behind him watching.  He loves heavy cover.  He was in the swamp splashing and running through wet and soggy grass, then snaking through heavy willow brush.  Put up 2 hens and one rooster-rooster was flushed twice.  The dog is so fun to watch.  My shooting needs more work, but it was a good few hours in the sun and wind.  Sky is sleeping at my feet right now.  

• Gold Top Dog

i have a new reason to love the weekend. I ran a couple quick errands ALONE this morning! Not willing to leave her home alone yet. We are in a side by side duplex and our neighbor works the grave yard shift so I don't want to leave her alone would she might disturb him. She's such a good girl that she would probably be fine but he can be rather testy so.....

Can't believe that this year is almost over. Don't forget to setD your clocks back tonite!