NOTICE: CALIFORNIA DOG OWNERS

• Gold Top Dog

NOTICE: CALIFORNIA DOG OWNERS

BeerNOTICE:  CALIFORNIA DOG OWNERS [/b]-- On 12/21/09 Dr. Ben Sun (916) 552-9744, Interim Chief of California's Veterinary Public Health Section, designated BeerBroken HeartALL COUNTIES[/b][/u] in California as "rabies areas" http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/discond/Documents/2010_LHD_Rabies_Declaration_Letter.pdf.   

The declaration states:  [color=darkred]"The Director of the Department of Public Health has declared all counties in California as 'rabies areas' in 2010.  This declaration is based on the ongoing cyclic nature of rabies in California wildlife, and the resulting threat of exposure to domestic animals, livestock, and humans."[/color]

An April 5, 2010 amendment to AB2000 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov./pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1951-2000/ab_2000_bill_20100405_amended_asm_v98.html  which seeks to add a medical exemption clause for sick dogs in designated "rabies areas," would included the following language:

[color=darkred]"  (2) A dog exempt from the canine antirabies vaccination shall be kept quarantined as directed by the local health officer, until the
    dog's medical condition has resolved and the administration of the canine antirabies vaccine occurs."[/color]

This bill is currently in the Senate Rules Committee for consideration.  The phone number for the California Senate Rules Committee is Beer(916) 651-4120[/b] and the Chair of the Committee is Senator Darrell Steinberg e-mail: Senator.Steinberg@senate.ca.gov  Phone:Beer (916) 651-4006 [/b]  Please call!

Under current law, the Department of Public Health is authorized to require annual rabies vaccinations in designated "rabies areas," which includes ALL counties in California for 2010.  With the passage of AB2000 as amended on April 5th, dogs with medical exemptions would be required to be quarantined, which could be in an off-site pound or facility as determined by the local health officer, until their medical condition resolves or they are given a rabies vaccine.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO POST AND CROSS-POST

• Gold Top Dog

This makes me so angry.  I cannot imagine a dog with IMHA or what my dog had, IMT, being in quarantine.  The stress alone could kill the dog.  And, who would give it it's many medications.  This is totally counterproductive.  The whole point of not vaccinating is missed by these people. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, it is absolutely incredible.  My own dog, Butter, has hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia and kidney failure triggered by anaplamosis, he barely eats anything and then we have to coax him with home-cooked meats & fish, he won't eat the same thing 2 days in a row.  Quarantine would be an immediate death sentence for him.

• Gold Top Dog

Just a few questions.  Is a dog that gets an annual vaccine less likely to transmit rabies than a dog with a 3 year vaccine, or are the vaccines equally effective?  I was bitten by a dog last summer and we were unable to contact the dogs owners to verify if it had been vaccinated.  I ended up having 10 shots (and I only recieved the first 2 required treatments because we were eventually able to verify that the dog had been vaccinated).  The medical cost were over $8000 (no stiches, just 1st aid and rabies vaccine). 

So if California really does have a rabies outbreak, and if the annual vaccine is more effective ... then I can kind of see their point.  Thankfully we have good medical coverage, and I'm an adult ... so we took the medical care in stride.  But if it had been one of my little daughters receiving so many painful injections (they have to inject directly into the puncture ! Owww!), or if we were not insured ... the event could have been devastating.

M

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

One dog 2 many
    So if California really does have a rabies outbreak, and if the annual vaccine is more effective ... then I can kind of see their point. 

Read the AIHA/IMHA thread in our Health section and you will learn how the vaccinations are possible/potential triggers to these life-threatening diseases in dogs.  Owners with dogs who have AIHA/IMHA and related diseases should be within their right to abstain from vaccinations if they can provide proof of the medical reason, and should not be forced to quarantine their dogs.  They may have to prove they have control of containment of their dog(s), and maybe insurance should the dog actually bite someone one.  But it seems that anyone who is fighting to save the life of their dog with AIHA/IMHA is not going to endanger their safety with lax containment and risky encounters with strangers.
    • Gold Top Dog

Owners with dogs who have IMHA and related diseases should be within their right to abstain from vaccinations if they can provide proof of the medical reason, and should not be forced to quarantine their dogs.

I don't know, accidents happen and dogs (even good, well-managed dogs) bite people.  Just having insurance to cover medical expenses, doesn't save someone from going through a really painful (especially if the victim is a young child) medical treatment.  I definitely learned from my experience last year, that having a vaccinated dog is an act of kindness to your neighbors. 

M

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe you should read up on rabies titer testing - and see how long that ONE vaccine will actually be found in an animals system.

I do not vaccinate my pets - and I would be willing to bet that their titer tests would all come up in the acceptable, immune range.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

Maybe you should read up on rabies titer testing - and see how long that ONE vaccine will actually be found in an animals system.

I do not vaccinate my pets - and I would be willing to bet that their titer tests would all come up in the acceptable, immune range.

While you're reading up on titer testing, you might also read up on the risk involved in vaccinating an AIHA dog.  I can honestly say that there is absolutely no way that I will vaccinate my AIHA dog.  PERIOD.  Case closed.  To me, it's not worth the risk.

All of our dogs are vaccinated sparingly.  I have titers ran yearly, & if they are in the acceptable range, I forego vaccinations.  I see no reason to pump them full of vaccines that they don't need.

• Gold Top Dog

One dog 2 many
    Is a dog that gets an annual vaccine less likely to transmit rabies than a dog with a 3 year vaccine, or are the vaccines equally effective? 

It's the same vaccine as far as I know. 

• Gold Top Dog

One dog 2 many
    I don't know, accidents happen and dogs (even good, well-managed dogs) bite people.  Just having insurance to cover medical expenses, doesn't save someone from going through a really painful (especially if the victim is a young child) medical treatment. 

I'm sorry you went thru such a bad situation -- I have a friend whose health was literally completely wrecked because she had to take the rabies treatments.

HOWEVER -- at the same time I have a dog who is an IMHA survivor who can never take ANY vaccines ... ever.  Not even one.  It would kill him.

NOw .. let me explain.

The one year shot and the 3 year shot are the very same shot -- it's simply that one is certified for 3 years vs. 1.  It is, plainly **marketing**.

Go beyond that -- the same shot is well known and medically proven effective for THREE years.  and the diseases and health issues tied to rabies shots are far far beyond ANY other vaccine.  injection site sarcoma, IMHA, etc.  Too many to count.

BUT at this time (and this is where Kris usually keeps us informed) -- there is a study under way now (done by Dr. Ronald Schultz and Dr. Jean Dodds, that is endeavoring to EXTEND even that three year period.  Meaning -- it is SO established that 3 years is a **minimum** of the effectiveness for this shot that they are now doing the Rabies Challenge Study to prove that the vaccine is actually effective for AT LEAST **seven** years if not longer.

Billy has had a rabies titer every year (I have to send blood to Kansas State for that -- it's the only vet school that does it) and he's showns sufficient immunity for me to get the waiver in Florida every year. 

Bottom line -- the thing no one told you when you had your bite was that it is NOT dogs that spread rabies.  It's wildlife.  There has only been one case of rabies spread by a dog bite in like 75 years (I'm not able to quote the origin of that  but it's pretty well known).  The way to control rabies is by controlling it in wildlife.  Dropping bait with the vaccine, among other methods is very successful.

The problem is it is EASY to legisltate it for DOGS.  (not even cats -- and a feral cat is FAR more apt to carry rabies than any dog because it never gets ANY vax).  It's an income generator for vets, it's easy politically because it makes the originatingpolitician look "concerned" -- but the end result is sick dogs.  NOT any measurable difference in risk to humans. 

The problem is -- most dogs that are running loose do run a higher risk of being unvaccinated because they have owners who DON'T CARE. 

But the "payback" is that it is SO detrimental to the dogs whose owners ARE taking excellent care of them.  I can tell you-- that a dog that has been treated for IMHA and the other immune-mediated diseases?  That's an owner that has spent likely close to $5000 to $10,000 (or double that) to treat their dog on an ongoing basis.  It NEVER ends. 

The whole purpose in requiring annual vaccination isn't because "annual" is safer.  NOT AT ALL>  It's merely a safety net -- thinking that if shots are required **every** year then the chances that any dog MIGHT get vaccinated MIGHT be greater.  That's the thinking -- it's not logical thinking because those dogs whose owners don't care enough to vaccinate just plain won't bother to license them EVER.  And those who try to be compliant will over-vaccinate their dogs.

The owners who don't care will continue to be the wildcard and their dog is the risky one.  The people who try to be compliant are simply the ones who GET punished -- because their dogs will be far more apt to get auto-immune disease, vaccinosis and cancer -- and those who don't bother to vaccinate still WON'T.

• Gold Top Dog

yep, the one and 3 year vaccines are one and the same.

• Gold Top Dog

Well this is crap. Seeing as I just moved to CA and my girls' immune systems are pretty touchy. It takes them months to get over being vaccinated. :( 

I will have to make a call.

• Gold Top Dog

The one year shot and the 3 year shot are the very same shot -- it's simply that one is certified for 3 years vs. 1.  It is, plainly **marketing**.

Thank you for your excellent explanation :-)  I had a feeling that this ^ was the case.  I hope that critics of this law will work very hard to prove the rabies vaccine is effective for an extended period of time.  Not only would this help dogs but it would relieve a burden on owners and be a relief to bite victims as well. 

I also agree that contracting rabies from a dog bite is extremely unlikely.  However, if one of my small children were the victim of a bite from an unvaccinated dog and the doctor recommended that they receive the vaccine (the many, many required doses), I'm not sure that I could dismiss the doctor's recommendation.  I think this is an unkind burden to place on bite victims no matter how unlikely the exposure.  For this reason, I think that governments are well within their authority to require all dogs to be adaquately vaccinated (and I wish they would step it up on the other measures you mentioned).  I think that the best thing pet owners could do is not to disregard vaccinations, but rather to encourage research so that more restrained vaccination schedules and more reasonable medical care can be pursued.  It is important that our neighbors feel as confident of our dogs good health as we do.

M

• Gold Top Dog

One dog 2 many
    I also agree that contracting rabies from a dog bite is extremely unlikely.  However, if one of my small children were the victim of a bite from an unvaccinated dog and the doctor recommended that they receive the vaccine (the many, many required doses), I'm not sure that I could dismiss the doctor's recommendation.  I think this is an unkind burden to place on bite victims no matter how unlikely the exposure.  For this reason, I think that governments are well within their authority to require all dogs to be adaquately vaccinated (and I wish they would step it up on the other measures you mentioned).  I think that the best thing pet owners could do is not to disregard vaccinations, but rather to encourage research so that more restrained vaccination schedules and more reasonable medical care can be pursued. 

HOnestly?  Part of the answer lies in research and the Rabies Challenge Study is ALREADY being done (it's in it's third year I think) and one big deal is to get it more well known that it IS being done and why.

But honestly??  The BIGGEST thing that can be done is simply to encourage local lawmakers and animal control wardens to ENFORCE the laws already there.  Pick UP dogs running loose.  PICK UP DOGS that are not licensed.  Make dog parks and dog event-holders not just "require" in fuzzy writing that dogs be "vaccinated" -- but ask for it to be SHOWN.  Paticularly places like dog parks where dogs ARE loose and where there is more chance that something will occur.

Part of this is on the law *makers* side because the budgets are SO stressed in most places that Animal Control just plain doesn't have the FUNDS to chase every loose dog. 

It's like making more laws against underage smokers.  You've got to take away the availability -- if store owners SELL cigarettes to underage smokers  they're going to smoke.  So the penalty for NOT licensing your dog (not "not vaccinating" -- leave room for the waivers to work there) but if the penalty for having an unlicensed dog was stiff AND there was enough policing going on to round up strays BEFORE they bite  -- that would attack the problem at a sensible level and not penalize other dogs and their owners.

You've heard the expression "Locks only deter honest people"???  There is a HUGE truth in that.  You can't require a hundred locks and then ignore the fact that the theif is just gonna go in thru the window next to the lock. 

• Gold Top Dog

shamrockmommy

Well this is crap. Seeing as I just moved to CA and my girls' immune systems are pretty touchy. It takes them months to get over being vaccinated. :( 

I will have to make a call.

That's not just for those in California to call -- we ALL need to write letters and make calls.