Stupid stray dogs!!!!!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm probably a bit biased because Sassy was a stray too.  Luckily for us, she wandered into the yard of a work friend who knew my love of dogs. The friend had to leave that day (Sunday) for a rafting trip and didn't know my home phone, but she left me a msg at work saying she'd had to take the dog to the shelter, but I should go see her there. As soon as I got the msg, I went to shelter. I had to wait 3 days to see if the owners showed up, but they never did and the rest is history. I guess the bottom line is, strays need love too Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog
    KarissaKS

I just called the local humane society because we have a "dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks" stray running around our business' property.  He's been here since this morning and I'm quite certain that the guys who work here aren't helping (playing with, petting & feeding him).  Earlier today he wasn't my problem, but now he's discovered that there are dogs in this office and I can't let them outside to go to the bathroom without him completely getting in our face.  He's not aggressive, he's stupidly friendly and won't go away.  Luke even growled and snarled at him when I told him to get rid of the other dog and he just laid down and then came back for more.

So now I'm sitting here trying to hold a squirming puppy on my lap that I'm quite certain needs to poo, but I can't put him outside because of that stupid stray who won't leave him alone (Kaiser, being the timid type, screams when the dog comes after him).

The humane officer is supposed to be coming shortly, but it's a good half hour trip for them at least.

The dog has a collar, but classic, no tags.  Lovely.  I bet he's someone's pet, but now he's my problem.

Just had to vent.

Welcome to my life. Forsome reason lots of stray dogs always flock to our house. (the fact that my neighbor owns an intact female doesnt exactly help either)
    You could get him on a leash and keep him penned up somewhere till animal control arrives.
    • Gold Top Dog

outdoorschik

Wow... i'm sorry, but I just cannot relate to your post at all and was shocked to read that on a dog board. I live in an area where unfortunately there are quite often strays... some often bark in front of my house causing the dogs to go nuts or be scared. Each and every one, I have thought about how I would feel if that were my dog that I'd lost and I find a way to help it, not call it stupid and hope it leaves. My front porch, garage, and bathroom have been home to strays on numerous occasions where i'd find the incredibly thankful owner or eventually find a no kill shelter. I personally carry a slip collar leash combo in my car at all times ot catch said "stupid stray dogs" so they don't get hurt.

I feel sad for that dog, and wish you'd not try and "shoo" it, but help it, bring it in and keep it safe from those fork lifts rather than marvelling at it's ability to not get hit. How would you feel if it DID get hit by the forklift? I wish I lived closer to you... i'd come get it. and no, it wouldn't be easy, I have a dog with a torn CCL that can't be disturbed and two others, but I'd find a way.

I would understand if this dog was viscious but "stupidly friendly" and won't go away?!?!?! 

wow, seriously, wow. 

Agreed.  Very sad that you can't even count on a fellow "dog lover" to help out a stray dog.

• Gold Top Dog

outdoorschik

Wow... i'm sorry, but I just cannot relate to your post at all and was shocked to read that on a dog board. I live in an area where unfortunately there are quite often strays... some often bark in front of my house causing the dogs to go nuts or be scared. Each and every one, I have thought about how I would feel if that were my dog that I'd lost and I find a way to help it, not call it stupid and hope it leaves. My front porch, garage, and bathroom have been home to strays on numerous occasions where i'd find the incredibly thankful owner or eventually find a no kill shelter. I personally carry a slip collar leash combo in my car at all times ot catch said "stupid stray dogs" so they don't get hurt.

I feel sad for that dog, and wish you'd not try and "shoo" it, but help it, bring it in and keep it safe from those fork lifts rather than marvelling at it's ability to not get hit. How would you feel if it DID get hit by the forklift? I wish I lived closer to you... i'd come get it. and no, it wouldn't be easy, I have a dog with a torn CCL that can't be disturbed and two others, but I'd find a way.

I would understand if this dog was viscious but "stupidly friendly" and won't go away?!?!?! 

wow, seriously, wow. 

This deserved to be reposted again. 

• Gold Top Dog

I'm really shocked at your post.  I can't relate to someone calling a dog names, trying to get it to leave when it's lost and calling it a "thing".  Really, how much would it take to separate him from the other dogs until he's picked up??

• Gold Top Dog

Good thing its not a orphaned child, LOL

• Gold Top Dog

Awww poor dog! You can send him my way I will glady help Wink, I'm known for rescuing dogs in distress.

• Gold Top Dog

Wow, I don't know what to say.  Oh wait, yes I do!  Why don't you pop over to The Vet Lost Ginger thread and wonder how the owners of your STUPID STRAY might feel if they dropped him at the vet and the don't know that the STUPID VET lost him because they haven't been notified!

Sheesh, what a meanie!

I suppose if he gets squished by a forklift you'll stand over his suffering body and say  "Stupid box of rocks dog! You shoulda known forklifts squish!"  and then return to your office and let that poor little puppy go potty while waiting for someone else to come take care of the dead dog.

You're in an office with dogs, so you obviously have some care equipment, it would literally take 5 seconds to leash up this poor dog and get him out of harms way.  Hope you never lose a kid! 

• Gold Top Dog

I hope this dog is ok tonight. I hope you'll give us an update on whether AC came to get him...maybe if not, one of the guys petting and playing with him could take him home and look for an owner tomorrow?

• Gold Top Dog

outdoorschik

wow, seriously, wow. 

Same here. I feel for every stray dog and anytime I see one I try to catch it. I have made DH angry several times making him pull the car over so I can chase after a stray dog, or at least get him off of a main road if I can't catch him...It's not their fault their strays. 

• Gold Top Dog

jennyx0023

Same here. I feel for every stray dog and anytime I see one I try to catch it. I have made DH angry several times making him pull the car over so I can chase after a stray dog, or at least get him off of a main road if I can't catch him...It's not their fault their strays. 

Me too. I have found two in less than a year and spent money and time that I did not have on both, but I always ask myself how I would feel if I saw that dog dead on the roadside next week, knowing I could have done something.

• Gold Top Dog

I agree. I've pulled dogs into my backyard and waited for the owner to come claim them. Recently, I picked up a stray at the dog park - a handsome pitty. He was just wandering around, outside the yards, following all the other dogs around. There's no way I could have just left him there.

Is there an update on the stray?

• Gold Top Dog
    Er, guys, I've been snapped at wayyyyy too many times for me to want to try and 'leash' a dog I don't know and tether it to something. I don't care how friendly it looks, I'm not grabbing for it!

AND some of you would bring this in your HOUSE with a puppy, who I'm guessing hasn't had all of it's puppy vaccines?! No way. Sorry. I think you did the right thing by calling AC and having them deal with it.

• Gold Top Dog

^ Even taking that into consideration, I think the attitude displayed in the OP was uncalled for, and I think that attitude is what most of the posters, including myself, have a problem with.  This being a DOG forum, I would expect most of us here to be real dog lovers, which, IMHO, ought to include all dogs, not just our own, LUCKY dogs who are fortunate enough to not be homeless, or lost, or hungry.

I am sure that poor dog would love to no longer be just a stupid stray, but he could probably use a little help from some kind-hearted person, which he seems to be trying to find.  I hope the dog is okay...and I hope the OP was just having a bad day and would not normally show such ignorance towards a dog in need.  I apologize if this is a bit harsh, but I really have a special place in my heart for stray dogs, and I try to see them as more than just an annoyance or interruption in my day.

• Gold Top Dog

She wouldn't have to bring it inside or in contact with the puppy, she could minimally leash it and tie it to something so it doesn't get hit by a forklift until AC gets there.  If it was aggressive or nippy when she tried, it would be another story.  But she didn't even try and described him as happy and friendly, so I don't think that's the case.   She even described the guys who work there were petting him, so they could leash him and I'll bet they drive trucks and at least one of them is dog lover enough to put it in his until AC gets there.  I would, upholstery be damned.  Better than witnessing it being killed or injured by a forklift!