are pitbulls supposed to be skinny?

• Gold Top Dog

are pitbulls supposed to be skinny?

its pretty simple really, are pitbulls supposed to be skinny. you can see my dogs rib bones a little bit when he is standing and when he is turned also can kinda see his back bones. he was skinner a few months ago when we adopted him so he has filled out some but he looks really lean. maybe cos he is 1 year 3 months he burns off all his food so fast?

• Gold Top Dog

It really depends.  Lucy had puppies on July 1st, and since then, she has lost all of her pregnancy weight.  I have a few pics of her where I thought, "Gee, she sure looks skinny."  I started mixing her food every other night with moist food, and she seems to have put on some weight.  I also changed her dry food, and she eats more.  I think she looks really good now.

Here is the pic where I thought that....

But, since that pic, she has put on about 7-10 lbs. 

• Gold Top Dog

wow my dog is a shade heavier than that but i will take a pic tommorrow in good light and show you and u can tell me what you think. maybe i am over reacting , not sure tho. beautiful dog you have tho Yes

• Gold Top Dog

I like to keep Sally where you cannot see her ribs but only barely and she has nice tuck...

• Gold Top Dog

But, see, in this picture she doesn't look quite so skinny... 

• Gold Top Dog
    Oops.  Double post.

• Gold Top Dog

This site talks about how to evaluate a dog's weight:

How Do I Determine if My Dog is Overweight?

• Gold Top Dog

i took some shots of my dog max today so tell me what you think, i think he is on the skinny side but i dont know pitbulls. i dont know if they are supposed to be super lean or what

• Gold Top Dog

He has muscle tone...when you get to muscle wasting that is where I'd worry. If you are concerned I don't think a pound or two would be bad...but honestly many PB's are shown with other registries in similar condition. He could just be a very "dry" dog that doesn't carry extra weight easily and muscles up before he bulks up.

• Gold Top Dog

ya when he lays down and curls up you can clearly see every bump down his spine and his ribs clearly. he was skinnier when we got him 3 months ago and has put on weight but he seems to not to be putting on anymore. granted he does get some good exercise, maybe its his food? innova evo red meat( but i guess thats for another thread)

• Gold Top Dog

I think he looks nice!  Like Gina said, as long as the muscle tone is there that's good.  I don't like the huge, bulky pits/staffies that are so big and wide you can't even see their muscle tone, they just look like inflated balloons.  If the are big and wide it should be muscle tone.

• Gold Top Dog

http://www.adbadog.com/p_home.asp

This was registry I was speaking of. If you poke around the gallery section you can find various pics of dogs in very hard spare condition...but there is a lot of muscle on display as well...esp with the weight pull dogs.

I don't know the breed well enough to say what is/isn't normal but these dogs are shown so their condition I would assume is considered to be typical for their breed.

UKC and AKC (no PB's there but the sorta comparable AmStaff is there) might have different appearances/conditions...it seems to make a difference what registry we're talking.

• Gold Top Dog

That dog looks fit, to me. He could gain a couple of pounds and still be ok, but why? That would be extra weight on his joints.  I'd *much* rather see a dog on the lean side than one on the heavy side.

• Gold Top Dog

he looks good. I would prefer a bit more muscle, but not fat, on him.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know the breed but I would say just by looking that he is one handsome fella!  And I agree with the person who says they'd rather see a little lean than heavy.  I'm always amazed by the people who look at Joe and think he's not getting fed.  My boy is the picture of health, weight included.  Most people are just so used to seeing overweight dogs, that tends to be the norm in their eyes.  I am by no means an expert but I would say his activity level could be another good indicator of how lean he would be.