Spiked collar, hmmm.

• Gold Top Dog

at his age you are REALLY at high risk of HIM becoming DA.... he may one day attack out of fear in order to "get them before they get me"

it really sucks too! you want your pup to have positive experience with other dogs and instead you get this flak! right now the goal isnt so much as to deter attackers but to keep your dog alive should he be attacked! and yes the ultra submissive attitude and squealing will excite some dogs into a frenzy (that CAN be a drawback to owning bully or hunting breeds honestly) its in their instinct to hang onto a struggling/screaming animal. 

• Gold Top Dog

Ugh your poor pup! I've never tried those types of collars, but to me it sounds like it might be able to protect him some more.

We also have a dog aggressive dog the next row of houses over and of course if the owner has him outside he's either tied up(hate that) or he's on a leash but the owner isn't at the other end. I'm terrified each time I bring Simba out that the dog will attack him. I was once on the other side of this though with my last dog, Toby. He was majorly dog aggressive out of fear and one time got loose from my mom and held onto this little yorkie by the back of his neck. Luckily, the yorkie was pretty much okay but seriously I was terrified he was going to be put down.

Did the owner even apologize? o.o 

• Gold Top Dog

The more I research cut collars the more I like them. I also have a friend who is an excellent with leather and chainmail, Funny as it sounds, he'd enjoy making it (he makes all kinds of things from pistol holsters to jewelry) I'm going to explore options and designs with him.

Nope! The owner didn't apologize, he acted like I did something wrong by grabbing his dog's ear. He high tailed it, i'm sure he was worried his dog had done enough damage he'd have to pay vet bills...

• Gold Top Dog

DumDog
    at his age you are REALLY at high risk of HIM becoming DA.... he may one day attack out of fear in order to "get them before they get me"

Agree.  You really need to make every attempt to completely avoid walking him in areas where he may get attacked.  Consider joining a positive approach training class to try and offset the bad experiences he has had with dogs attacking him. 

• Gold Top Dog

Never under  estimate the power of the unexpected (on the other dog).  A self opening golf umbrella, a nautical air horn, direct stop, etc.  are all tools that you can use to be your dog's first line of defense.  You MUST accustom your dog to these things before you use them on the other dogs.  Work on T bone's obedience so you have a rapid recall and prevent him from making the wrong move out of panic.

Your dog sounds submissive in nature and the dogs you complain about dont appear well socialized.  If they were, T bone would be accepted as a low level dog and unless he broke some rule, left alone.

I would keep reporting any incedent to the authorities (sheriff and AC) using detailed notes.  Enough hassle may up the anty with the authorities.. 

• Bronze

Sounds like he needs to be kept out of situations where strange dogs can attack him, and/or you need to work better at preventing the situation from escalating. Maybe invest in some Direct Stop, and keep your dog close to you? That way when a strange dog approaches you can spray the dog with the Direct Stop, and hopefully prevent an incident.

If you want your dog to wear a spiked collar, just buy him one. If you think they are tacky and unflattering, then don't. A spiked collar will most likely do little to protect your dog physically OR emotionally - it will not stop another dog from attacking him, and will likely not STOP an attack during.

• Gold Top Dog

tenna

Sounds like he needs to be kept out of situations where strange dogs can attack him, and/or you need to work better at preventing the situation from escalating. Maybe invest in some Direct Stop, and keep your dog close to you? That way when a strange dog approaches you can spray the dog with the Direct Stop, and hopefully prevent an incident.

If you want your dog to wear a spiked collar, just buy him one. If you think they are tacky and unflattering, then don't. A spiked collar will most likely do little to protect your dog physically OR emotionally - it will not stop another dog from attacking him, and will likely not STOP an attack during.

I don't want to sound confrontational with my response, that's not my agenda. However, I have to say I do keep my dog near me and was unaware of products like Direct Stop. Most of the confrontations he's been in have occured at a dog park, and there's really not a lot one can do when a large dog is hellbent on hurting yours. We don't go to that park anymore for more reasons than one. Now the issue I am addressing is the uncontained, DA dogs in my neighborhood. Luckily I have gotten the advice I needed from this thread and will be investing in direct stop and a cut collar.

--------------------

I do worry he may become DA out of fear as he matures, and I let him socialize with nice dogs as often as possible (neighbor's lab, neighbor's GSD) I have taught him "leave it" which he resopnds very well to when a dog is barking at him from a truck or what have you. He will completely ignore another dog if asked to. Hopefully this training will aid in management and prevention of DA.

• Bronze

Beejou
    I don't want to sound confrontational with my response, that's not my agenda. However, I have to say I do keep my dog near me and was unaware of products like Direct Stop. Most of the confrontations he's been in have occured at a dog park, and there's really not a lot one can do when a large dog is hellbent on hurting yours. We don't go to that park anymore for more reasons than one. Now the issue I am addressing is the uncontained, DA dogs in my neighborhood. Luckily I have gotten the advice I needed from this thread and will be investing in direct stop and a cut collar.

No, no.... I hope I did not sound rude in my first message. It just sounded in the original post (I did not read every comment) that dogs continually attacked yours, and not many measures were getting taken to prevent it from happening in the first place. I understand, I was making assumptions, but I figured mentioning that up'ing your attempts at prevention may help him and you more than protecting his neck with a collar. Sorry if I came across poorly.

One of my dogs became somewhat leash reactive towards other dogs, and I blame part of it on the fact that I would walk him through our neighborhood and allowed strange dogs to approach him, scare him, and be very offensive with him. I no longer walk my dog in the neighborhood - if I want to take to him on an off-territory walk I load him in the car and drive elsewhere. It sucks for me and my dog, but it's what I have to do.

• Gold Top Dog

Hi, there....I've been off line for awhile, but glad to catch this post.  My Pit was attacked by a Dobie face on.  Everything was calm after a period of time dedicated to introduce them in a good way, but....the Dobie (female) attacked out of nowhere and bit my boy across the face.  He got the picture quickly and was immediately ready for the kill.  I had to look for that second where I could intervene and a spiked collar would not have helped me.  IMO a really thick (wide) leather collar is a good thing.  It protects the throat of your dog, but like others have said, you can grab it, and you can keep from harming yourself.  In my case, the Pit and I went flying down a hallway together.  I don't think a spiked collar would have been a good thing. 

At the same time, a spiked collar does not protect the rest of your dog.  I remember a Shephard coming up behind my Bullmastiff at a dog park and biting him on the butt. He drew blood.  My bully dealt with him and i dealt with the owner, but....it was a process.  IMO, those pronged dog collars and spiked collars make the dogs and their owners look like victims or idiots.  Just my opinion. 

• Gold Top Dog

Tenna, I'm sorry if I sounded snarky! Sometimes it's hard to say things the way you mean them on the internet =) I always do my best to not let strange dogs approach us, but if a mean sucker is gonna come, it's gonna come. I'm sorry you can't even walk in your own neighborhood because of the same issues I have!

I have to agree with everyone about the spikes being more of a henderence to me helping my dog. I'm definitely going to get him a cut collar, so it offers a little more protection without the chance of injuring myself or having a stigma. They're also flexible and seem like they'd be a lot more comfortable.

• Gold Top Dog

Beejou

I have to agree with everyone about the spikes being more of a henderence to me helping my dog. I'm definitely going to get him a cut collar, so it offers a little more protection without the chance of injuring myself or having a stigma. They're also flexible and seem like they'd be a lot more comfortable.

I know a lot of people use 2" leather for protecting their dogs necks. If you decide to go with getting just a wide leather collar, I know a couple people know make reeeally nice thick and strong ones. Im not sure if Im allowed to post them here though, PM me for info.

• Gold Top Dog

Bruister
    those pronged dog collars and spiked collars make the dogs and their owners look like victims or idiots.  Just my opinion. 

Prong collar and spike collar are two different things.   A prong is to keep control of the dog wearing it unlike the spike.

I never thought about a spike collar being protective......I guess it could be a little...but I do think a nice wide collar would work nicely and be so much better.  Those darn spikes hurt....and besides...I had to replace my patio screen because of one. My son thought it was cute to have Ollie his Great Dane wearing on....not sure why since Ollie was a giant size dog...you didn't need to try to scare anyone more than that....but the first year Mike had him he wore a spiked collar.  One day Ollie and I were coming in from being out on my deck.....I didn't open the screen yet...guess Ollie thought I did and walked into the screen with a force that turned his head  and the prongs put holes in my screen.  I told Mike to never bring him over in that stupid collar again....so I never saw it again. Thank goodness.... it was a pain.  

That said....I wouldn't get one...I'd get a wide collar. That reminds me....I wanted to get a wide collar for Gibby.

• Gold Top Dog

Beejou
    Nope! The owner didn't apologize, he acted like I did something wrong by grabbing his dog's ear. He high tailed it, i'm sure he was worried his dog had done enough damage he'd have to pay vet bills...

That's horrible! We paid for the vet bills when our dog bit another dog. I think it's the only right thing to do. What an a-hole that guy is! >( Honestly, if some dog was attacking my dog, I would do anything to get it off of him. 

• Gold Top Dog

I use Direct Stop.  And, if the dog ignores it I switch to Jogger Fogger.  I absolutely will not stand by while my dog is attacked, hassled, bit, whatever anymore. 

• Gold Top Dog

No...no one should have to stand by and not protect their dog...their kid....their anything.

But one thing that really bothers me is that so often I read that a dog got attacked at a dog park.   I do understand that an argument can break out at any given place....anyone.....any animal.  At a dog park dogs are playing and some get a little excited and you never know.  Probably most people can not call off their dog immediately....I don't know for sure if I could with Gibby. Therefore I would keep an eagle eye on him.... and watch for him and any dogs around him.    If playing gets to be a little too much....thats one thing. But to actually say that your dog was attacked at a dog park is quite another.   How can anyone take their dog to a dog park if it is the kind of dog that might attack another?   It seems to me they should NOT be allowed there at all, not to mention anyone with any brains whatsoever would not take their dog unless they were completely trustworthy.