Spiked collar, hmmm.

• Gold Top Dog

Spiked collar, hmmm.

I am considering getting T-Bone a spiked collar, but I have some concerns. Not too long ago T-Bone was grabbed around the throat by a lab. I went off the wall on that dog and his owner, as you can imagine. I grabbed that dog up by his ear and chewed his owner out. I was LIVID. I checked his throat and thank goodness there wasn't any blood. Dogs are usually seriously injured or killed by another dog by having their throats torn, right? So I am thinking a spiked collar might help protect his neck. Unfortunately there are a lot of aggressive dogs in my neighborhood not kept contained. I will always do my best to protect T, and I wonder if this would help protect him in case something happens. My concern is that it isn't comfortable for him. If he goes to scratch his neck, will the spikes hurt him or interfere more than a regular collar? I also don't like the "tough dog" stigma, but if the collar would serve a purpose I can deal with people's opinions and will tell them it's for my dogs PROTECTION, he's not a fighter. I am thinking I would only put it on him when we leave the house where we can potentially run into an aggressive dog. (Two of my neighbors dogs have been attacked, one severely, by the same pit mix!) Thoughts?

• Gold Top Dog

I usually dont like studded collars, becuase most people who put them on their dogs are only doing it for the tuff guy image, or to make them look "cool"....
    BUT, for protecting his neck from aggressive dogs, I think it would be fine. If your getting it strictly for his protection, I would get a 2 inch one, to cover more of his neck. Only have him wear it on walks, I wouldnt leave it on him around this becuase it probably isnt that comfortable, and if he trys to itch his neck it wouldnt feel too good on his feet, and make sure you take it off if he is going to be playing with other dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

i have a spiked collar that was given to me. my only dislike is .... YOU have to be careful when you grab that collar. those thing smart! and these are DULL spikes... more like point studs, not the real deal. i dont use that collar anymore but i still keep it as a spare in case i some how end up with an extra dog lol you never know!

when my dog wore it he didnt seem to mind the spikes when he scratched... i didnt make it uber tight though, when he scratched the collar would sort of... be pushed around his neck by his foot. i guess it did the trick because he didnt scratch for long lol

as for protection. why not? but to be perfectly honest any thick wide collar would work. the spikes just... bite back... all of my dogs have wide thick collars - anything less doesnt last long. it either frays or they break the D ring....

i dont want to assume that someone who has a spiked collar on their dog is doing it to be tuff anymore than i want to assume all pit bulls are fighting dogs. the collar i was given was used for the same purpose. the girl had a shepherd that was always getting picked on... and he wasnt much for defending himself. and the collar, to be honest, did nothing to boost his or his owners ego lol

i do like your idea about him only wearing it out. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Have you reported this dog to AC or the police department?

FWIW, Pirate has a teeny leather spike collar. It looks cute, but he doesn't wear any collar in the house because I am neurotic about choking hazards, and he is neurotic about wearing collars.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Think about this - although we all know better than to grab a dog by its collar when breaking up a dog fight - what did you do when that lab attacked him?  Did you at any point hold him by his collar?  Those spikes would dig into your skin.  Ps, the spikes could also escalate the response from the dog attacking.  Things to consider.  I really don't think a spiked collar would stop a dog from attacking your dog in the first place, and if a dog is intent on fighting, the spikes aren't going to be much of a deterrent... unless you're looking at those wide collars that have multiple rows of spikes, maybe, and could afford you a second to intercept the attack.  But the attacking dog could just as easily go for other parts of your dog and do damage.  I just don't think it's the solution you're looking for.  Direct Stop and a cell phone to call the police have been the most-often cited tools for dog attacks.

• Gold Top Dog

AC knows about the dog, but apparently nothing happens unless another dog is killed or a human is bitten. Also they're about an hour away, there's no AC in my area. They are spread really, reeeally thin.

T-Bone just won't defend himself, he flips over and screams to be turned loose when dogs get rough with him. He tends to get bullied a lot. It makes me fuming mad when people say "he'll learn" or "eventually he'll bite back" well maybe he will or maybe he won't but, excuse me? I'm supposed to not be upset when my dog is being threatened or attacked? I'm T-Bone's first line of defense as his owner. There's nothing wrong with me stepping in and ending the problem, I'm not babying him by getting a dog off him. I digress...

ETA: When the lab grabbed him, I grabbed the lab. I actually couldn't even get to my own dog because the lab was basically blocking me. I DID grab the lab by his collar and try to pull him off (dumb, dumb, dumb) but he didn't care so I grabbed ahold of his ear instead, and that made him drop T-Bone. I am very lucky the dog didn't bite me but at that point the owner was in it too and grabbed the lab away from me.

I was looking at the superwide, multiple rows of spikes. Even if it affords me just a little more time to get help/stop the attack it could be worth it.

• Gold Top Dog
    Beejou
    AC knows about the dog, but apparently nothing happens unless another dog is killed or a human is bitten. Also they're about an hour away, there's no AC in my area. They are spread really, reeeally thin.

Huh. When Pirate was attacked, the pit was held for a mandatory 10 day quarantine. I am a little nutty and called the police department (actually, 9-1-1) but that was only because I needed Fire-Rescue to wrap up my hand before I could do anything without getting blood everywhere. The owner was given a felony citation for an unconfined animal as well. The laws in FL must be different!

It's a cruddy situation, I know. I don't walk Pirate out of our subdivision anymore, without BF or someone going along. People are just too stupid *sigh*

• Gold Top Dog

I'm glad to know dog attacks are handled in the correct fashion at least somewhere! I need to research "direct stop" (never heard of it) and my friend suggested I carry a PVC pipe filled with quarters, capped on both ends. Apparently packs quite a punch. I just hate having to think about hurting an animal or my own animal getting hurt, but being prepared is all I can do. I have been called paranoid and that I'm always thinking worst case scenario... T-Bone is my best friend, though. I have to watch out for him.

• Gold Top Dog
    I think spiked collars on dogs look cool for certain events, like Halloween or, say, a biker's rally, but personally I wouldn't put one on my dog for comfort alone.
    • Gold Top Dog

i hear these can work wonders!

Sad  sorry i couldnt resist lol

but... while that MIGHT be over the top ((if it isnt i do know some people who actually make this stuff for fun!))  you might want to consider actual modern day dog armor. mostly used by hog hunters.. they're called cut collars or cut vests built to withstand a wild hog's tusks. the dog is covered in the more vital areas.

but to be honest.... the few dog fights i've experienced, it seems the legs and feet and face get the most damage. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Beejou
    I just hate having to think about hurting an animal or my own animal getting hurt, but being prepared is all I can do.

I kicked that stupid pit, repeatedly, in the gut. I called it being a 'mama bear' but I do feel awful that it had to come to that, and ultimately, that dog was PTS. You are right, though, we have to watch out for our dogs.

• Gold Top Dog
    DumDog
    but to be honest.... the few dog fights i've experienced, it seems the legs and feet and face get the most damage. 

That's the difference between a dog *fight* and a dog *attack* -- the pit that attacked Pirate, IMO, was in it to KILL HIM. Whether it was prey drive, DA, whatever - she was in it to kill. Pirate's injuries were to the neck and throat - the one that was ultimately stitched closed was TWO bites, one on the top of his neck and then through to the bottom side. When the vet flushed it with saline it ran through (sorry to be graphic!) one wound and out the other.

I'm not sure if the dog in Beejou's neighborhood is just trying to start trouble/fights, or attacking to kill. I think that a dog out to start fights would be startled by a spike collar, Direct Stop, a big stick, or even a pop-open umbrella, but a dog out to attack, IMO, wouldn't be phased by any of those.

• Gold Top Dog

oh i totally agree and know what you mean. its obvious when there has been a scrap or if a dog is bloody minded and hell bent on killing. i only experienced that one time...but i wasnt there to stop it. my mom was in charge of the dogs that day and i was out of town. long story short it was horrible to see the aftermath.and yes it could have been prevented... which is why i dont trust anyone with my pets(dogs, horses, cats, rats, anymore.

i dont know the whole story though. is it the same dog each time, or is it randomly happening and the shepherd just gets rolled by any dog that thinks its tough enough? like i said, the spiked collar i was given came from a similar dog. he wouldnt stand up to anyone. but he was never attacked by the throat. his ear on the other hand had that classic ear split (think Charlie from all dogs go to heaven) 

• Gold Top Dog

Just food for thot.....the aggressing dog is not going to look at the collar and compute spikes with "gosh that might hurt my mouth".  It will not be a deterant.  And if the dog is far enough gone into aggression, a little (or a lot) of pain is NOT going to stop him.  I honestly don't think that this sort of collar is going to do a darned thing.

Direct stop is a citronella spray.  It will not damage the animal, but will sting like hell-o and stop the assault.  I don't know if dog.com carries it or not, but I'm thinking Dr Foster and Smith does.

A squirt gun of undiluted white vinegar would have the same affect I think.

• Gold Top Dog

I guess it may be because he is so submissive, but dogs roll him and have gotten dangerously close to his throat on way too many occasions. Of course I worry about just a fight, but dogs seem to get VERY worked up by his screaming/submissiveness and they start really tearing at him. Luckily most owners are proactive and get their dogs off, and quick. Also T-Bone is a pup, but not really a small dog. Usually dogs who come at him, are about his size (60 some pounds, about average I guess.) The lab who actually got his throat was a big sucker. I used my whole body weight against him and I couldn't budge him (until I pulled straight up on his ear)

Fights are bad enough, but what I'm really worried about are life threatening injury. A full on attack. I believe the lab could have killed him if I didn't at least distract him by about tearing his ear off and screaming everything in the book to make the owner come get his dog off.

I'm really digging these cut collars! I've never heard of them. They seem more flexible, less scary dog stigma.

ETA: I know a dog won't compute spikes = pain, I'm just thinking it might give his throat more protection, giving me more time to A:lay the smack down B: Call for help, etc.