Vibes for Bugsy's surgery and my nerves LOL

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Vibes for Bugsy's surgery and my nerves LOL

After a few days of not being too gimpy he's really, really gimpy again and I am getting stressed out/anxious.

I am literally counting the days and hours until we leave for the surgery (Tuesday March 5)

My asking for vibes is that this guy goes in, the tendon is clearly the issue and all goes well with the surgery. The goal is that my boy isn't gimpy within a few weeks.

And for me, I just feel a bit out on a limb. I don't know this vet and feel like I've kind of been left to figure all this out on my own so although I am confident that this is what we need to do, I am definitely getting anxious.

Thanks in advance and sorry to ask for vibes 96 hours prior to surgery LOL

• Gold Top Dog

Absolutely, Karen.

All of my best no gimping vibes for Bugsy and stay calm vibes for you are on the way !!!!

Deb W.

• Gold Top Dog

Hey don't apologize!  We are all dog (and pet) owners here, we know the feeling, been through it, even if it is a routine spay / neuter.  This is different, and you need support.  That's what we do here (along with laughing and sharing). 

As I recall, you have done tons of research on this. That is a good thing, you are 'armed' with information.  Sorry this vet is not as communicative as some others may be. 

I don't have to say, Bugsy will pick up on your nerves, so try to draw on the confidence of all that research when you are around him.  Spend some time cuddling, easy play if he can do that, it will relax both of you to burn some energy, to connect with one another.

Sending prayers from RI for peace during this wait period!  And on the 5th, will be praying for the surgery to go smoothly.

Do you need any supplies in for his return home?  I know it's not like a dental where you need soft foods, but do you need blankets for him to recuperate?  Do some laundry and get those ready.  Think about that part of it now, too.

• Gold Top Dog

My prayers are with you both, I do know what your feeling. Hugs for both of you.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    I know how anxious I get when Piper limps a bit after a day in the woods. Bugsy is robust (I gave some thought to word choice) and will do well. Best thoughts for you and him. Doug
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thanks all!

Freedom
    Sorry this vet is not as communicative as some others may be. 

Sandy it isn't that, I haven't met the guy - he is actually super nice on the phone and has exchanged emails with me etc. He is located about an hour from here, I 'found' him on the net (and checked all reviews of the practice) so I just have this realization of the 'unknown'. Additionally he is very simple in his thoughts about rehab - just restrict to on-leash only for 4-6 weeks while a friend in TX had a full 8 wk proscribed rehab.

I am just trying to 'do right' for my boy :)

• Gold Top Dog

Good vibes and calming Rupey nuzzles are on the way! ((hugs))

• Gold Top Dog

Karen, I've had it on my mind all week and I can imagine how anxious you are having to wait and wait some more.  I'm sorry he's gotten gimpy again.  Sending lots and lots of good thoughts and vibes for Bugsy.  I think the vibewaves coming his way will probably trip a breaker. lol  

Hang in there and drink as much as possible to pass the time.  :)

• Gold Top Dog

All what Sandi and the others have already said and I add to that...sending calming vibes from NY, during this wait period, and will be thinking of you on the day of surgery and sending positive thoughts that all will go as planned.

• Gold Top Dog

Karen, I don't think 96 hours before surgery is too early to be feeling anxious and in need of good vibes . . . you need plenty of time to do some good solid worrying!  Wink  I say that as someone who is a PRO when it comes to worry and anxiety.

About the casual approach to recovery -- I can share a story that happened to our friends last year.  Their 2 year old Lab was hit by a car (tragic set of circumstances -- a new house sitter was looking after her for a couple days and accidentally let her out the front door).  The dog required a major surgery to repair damage done to her hip/leg.  The vet instructed them to make sure she put ZERO weight on the leg -- complete crate rest 24/7, no walking, etc.  My friends followed the instructions to the letter (they even changed their work and life so one of them was home with her at ALL times). 

The healing didn't go as well as they'd all hoped.  When they talked with the vet about how they NEVER let her out of the crate, carried her to potty breaks, ZERO weight on the leg (i.e., the poor healing wasn't due to their lack of following instructions), the vet was actually shocked.  He told them he never expects people will follow his detailed instructions 100% --  he just states them very firmly, with the hope that if they follow them 75%, then there's a decent chance of healing on schedule.  So, my point is, maybe some vets communicate their post-op instructions differently than others, even if the end goal is the same.

At any rate, Bugsy (and you) will have more good vibes and thoughts than you'll know what to do with -- I wish we could do more to help!

P.S. - My friends' dog is much better - she had a second procedure, and after a few more weeks of rigid post-op restrictions, she's made super progress and is nearly back to her old self.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

You are all wonderful Angel

Tracy when B had his knee surgery the vet instructions post op were to limit his time on his feet to just potty breaks and no more than 50 ft or something like that. Well when I got B home he immediately wanted to walk the yard for a pee. He kept walking around and walking around - meanwhile I was counting feet/yards. When he finally peed he lifted his good leg and put all his weight on the surgical leg. I was in complete panic, he had not only walked something like 283 yards but stood entirely on the bad leg. So once I got B inside I called the surgeon's office LOL When the surgeon called back he was laughing and said not to worry just keep him walking only! Clearly they expect people to not follow the instructions.

I will calm down the closer it gets to Tuesday, I think today is my panic day. I always panic early and then am calm for the actual event. Bizarre but true.

I pray that this procedure fixes B completely, I will be heartbroken if it doesn't

• Gold Top Dog
    As far as figuring this all out on your own goes, there is no better advocate for your dog, you know? You are doing a good job. Try not to get over anxious this weekend :)
    • Gold Top Dog

kpwlee

Thanks all!

Freedom
    Sorry this vet is not as communicative as some others may be. 

Sandy it isn't that, I haven't met the guy - he is actually super nice on the phone and has exchanged emails with me etc. He is located about an hour from here, I 'found' him on the net (and checked all reviews of the practice) so I just have this realization of the 'unknown'. Additionally he is very simple in his thoughts about rehab - just restrict to on-leash only for 4-6 weeks while a friend in TX had a full 8 wk proscribed rehab.

I am just trying to 'do right' for my boy :)

Got it, I misunderstood.  Hey this sounds even better than I originally was thinking.

• Gold Top Dog

Sending Bugsy the strongest vibes possible from North the border!  Hope it all turns out better than expected and you don't turn too grey from it all! Give the big lug some lovins for me!  Hugs for you too, Karen.

• Gold Top Dog

More good vibes from RI!! Sinbad and Mozey add their crab breath-laden good thots, too. Many prayers for a good surgery, a good recovery and a Bugsy who is back to himself in no time. Today is probably your day to be super-duper worried. I know I would be a mess!

Spelling edit. (I'm sure there are more.)