Canned salmon

• Gold Top Dog

Canned salmon

I think I already know the answer to this.  But, I'm just verifying.  Is canned salmon(skinless and boneless) OK?  Or are there issues with giving it? 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Canned salmon, or jack mack is fine.  Usually, tho, it does have some skin, and it does have bones in the middle.  This is the ONLY food that is alright to give that has cooked bones.  That is because the canning process really mushes the bones so that they are so soft that practically blowing on them makes them crumble.  No sharp edges to these.  And, this way the food already has some calcium in it. 

I only give a salmon meal about every 5 days, no more often b/c it is high in salt.  I open the can up and let it rinse under the running water to get some of the salt off.  I serve with a side of very well cooked potatoes, and that's an easy dinner for the guys.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Salmon is Trudy's main protein. I bake fresh salmon for her. I like the fresh stuff.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Wild Alaskan, pink, and sockeye salmon are all fine. Atlantic salmon is farmed and should be avoided due to pestcides, PCBs, dioxins, and the negative effect of the salmon farming on the environment. Wild Atlantic salmon are on the US endangered species list.

ETA link:http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=fishpage&group=salmon
    • Gold Top Dog
    I've just got Bumble Bee brand. It's wild caught, it says that and it's pink.  It's in a can that looks just like tuna. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you got the small (rather than tall) can it will be just flesh (no skin or bones) - that should be great.  You might want to rinse it under water since it probably has alot of sodium (check the label).
    The tall canned stuff has the skin and bones - and more fat - so introduce it slowly.
    Let us know how she likes it
    • Gold Top Dog
    I feed canned salmon as well. I buy pink, wild and LOW or NO (if I can find it) sodium. I include the skin and bones, although I take a fork and crush the bones just incas there is a lond on that could get caught in the throat.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I use a tablespoon or two of Alaska Canned mixed with kibble, and my dog loves it. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I got a can of RED salmon as part of a gift basket. I won't eat it, is it ok to give to my dogs?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think red salmon is sockeye, so it would be ok.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I'm just curious.  Does anyone else here think they should only get canned salmon once per week? Thanks.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well... the daily NRC guideline for sodium is 230 mg/40lb dog. A can of sockeye salmon contains 1328 mg. So, I'd either feed a tiny bit per day, or a can every 5 days or so, but that's still way too much for one meal, IMO.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I know you all are talking about the human canned salmon, but can i feed this    [linkhttp://evangersdogfood.com/dog/20108.htm]http://evangersdogfood.com/dog/20108.html[/link]   every day? I usually open one can and it lasts me almost three days or two and a half  for my two small dogs, so can i feed this can the same way. This is  Whole Mackerel with Gravy and is a complete balanced diet as it says on the can, and is Calcium 0.30%  to Phosporous 0.25%  balanced. Thanks.

While I was homecooking i used this recipe:
    Sample Diet Four
    - One can 16 oz Mackerel or Salmon
    - 1 or 2 eggs, scrambled or soft boiled
    - 1/2 cup broccoli
    - 1/2 cup Kale or other dark leafy green
    - 4 oz Cottage CheeseCook vegetables and eggs (no need to cook the canned fish, it is already cooked) and mix together. No calcium is needed as mackerel, salmon or sardines already contain soft, steamed bones for calcium content. and fed that batch until it was finished. I hope it's ok. I only made that recipe once.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Fresh salmon isn't processed. Easy to bake and serve.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Fresh salmon isn't processed. Easy to bake and serve.

True - however I can't find fresh wild caught salmon (unless I want to pay $15 a lb !).   All the salmon in the store is farm raised, which usually has dye added (I won't even eat the stuff myself !)