Canned salmon

• Gold Top Dog
    OK, if somebody could please help me I'd appreciate it.  This is very important to Willow as she loves her fish. 

The can I feed is 6oz, no skin, no bones of pink salmon.  I divide the can so I get three meals out of it, so about 2oz at each meal.  She gets three meals per day.

The site says that 2oz has 150 mg of sodium. 

So, according the the guideline that Kelly posted, she shouldn't get this as a topper more than twice at most per day, right?  Even that would be a little over the daily requirement but not too bad.  Am I right? 

Willow is 47.5 lbs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well,  I would definately rinse it well -- not just running water thru the can, but putting in a colender, or rinsing pieces thru your hand. and I would try and find another topper to add.  The thing is that the food you are topping over - the kibble - also has salt added.  So, I wouldn't want to do this routine all the time.  If at all possible, try and find some other toppers she likes and don't do the fish every day.

I searched much trying to find info on how much salt gets rinsed away (yep, it's subjective depending on the method, amount of time, etc.), but I couldn't find any info other than "it reduces the sodium to rinse".  Not very descriptive.

What about mashing up some wet mashed potatoes, and you could add in a capsule of fish oil and mix with the potatoes and it would give it fishy flavor and be good for her as well?   I make mashed potatoes by cooking in water, and mashing up the potatoes in the water they were cooked in.  Any other flavors that she likes, you could mix in - such as ricotta cheese (if she can handle this type of dairy), or yogurt topping without potatoes.

Another thing you could do is make well watered down broth.  Make broth like you normally would - bones from meat, veggies, etc.  Reduce and strain out the bones and veggies.  Then add about 5 times the amount of water to really dilute the broth.  Freeze in portions and keep out 3 days worth.  That would add good flavor to her food.  

As far as crunch and such, you could add slivered or diced carrots, celery, bell peppers, etc.  The fresh veggies will give vit.C and add texture.
    • Gold Top Dog
    If you use potatoes, Sweet Potatoes are much better. I never use white ones. I oven dry Sweet Potatoes for snacks and cook them and mix in veggies to add to the fresh salmon. Fruits, oatmeal muffins etc also.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Try getting your salmon at a natural health food store; i.e Vitamin Cottage. The kind I get contains no added salt and has very very little in it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: willowchow

OK, if somebody could please help me I'd appreciate it. This is very important to Willow as she loves her fish.

The can I feed is 6oz, no skin, no bones of pink salmon. I divide the can so I get three meals out of it, so about 2oz at each meal. She gets three meals per day.

The site says that 2oz has 150 mg of sodium.

So, according the the guideline that Kelly posted, she shouldn't get this as a topper more than twice at most per day, right? Even that would be a little over the daily requirement but not too bad. Am I right?

Willow is 47.5 lbs.

The guideline for 47.5 lbs is 262.42mg. After rinsing, 2 oz twice a day should be okay, depending on how much she's taking in with her other foods.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    what does too much sodium do to a dog?  other than counting mg's are there signs of it?
    Just curious as we feed Bugsy canned fish
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think just like with humans it can cause heart issues and high blood pressure.  My opinion is it's more of a concern with older dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog
    What about Iceland Pure's pouched fish? It comes in salmon, trout, or cod and cod liver. It's *just* fish, water, and carageenan. It comes in a 300 g pouch, for dogs, or a 100 g pouch, for cats. The contents are the same, it's just a different size. It's not too expensive, if you get into the frequent buyer program. $3.50 for a dog sized pouch, or $1.85 for a cat sized pouch.
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    thanks willowchow - I looked at the stuff we feed him and its not too bad for a dog his size. we don't feed it more than 1x per week so it should be OK
    • Puppy
    Here are more canned salmon products and Info. Hope this helps.

http://petfoodretail.com/index.php?k=salmon&c=dogfood