Feeding Garlic--How Much?

• Gold Top Dog

Feeding Garlic--How Much?

I want to start adding garlic to my dogs food to help with fleas but I can't find any information on how much to feed per weight.  I found one site that suggested half a clove per day but surely you can't feed a 10 pound and an 80 pound dog the same amount and get the same results and have them both not get sick.  Does anyone know how much to garlic to feed a to a ten pound dog daily?
    • Gold Top Dog
       I don't think you should feed her very much because it has thiosulphate, which is toxic to dogs, causing anemia;  [linkhttp://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?story_no=257#ct-4]http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/storytemplate_process.cfm?story_no=257#ct-4[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    They just had an article in Veterinary Medicine about the dangers of onion, garlic, and all related plants... but sadly did not include the amounts that were considered toxic. I would avoid it if I were you. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    you have to feed quite a bit of garlic to a dog to get overt toxicity, but since it's cumulative best to not feed it daily in any amount. A little dusted on a treat now and again won't hurt.
    For fleas Frontline is probably your best bet.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: mudpuppy

For fleas Frontline is probably your best bet.

So far I have tried Advantage and K-9 Advantix and neither has worked at all, not even for one day, they don't kill any fleas on my dog and she is so infested now she scratches all night and I see fleas crawling all over her, she is miserable.  I've also tried shampoo and diatomaceous earth and nothing is working.  I guess I could try frontline but I don't have any faith it will work either and also, I just applied a tube of K-9 advantix last night  (Its supposed to kill all the fleas within one hour--she still has all the fleas) so I can't use anything else for another month and she is so miserable I have to do something. (Advantage does work my cat so its not that the fleas are immune, I don't know why nothing is working for poor Tasha).
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think the only thing that garlic would do in your situation is make your dog sick.  Sound like you have to do some work on the dog's environment.  Do a Google search on defleaing your home and yard, and you  will find many tips.  Stick with the Advantix , it sometimes takes a couple of months....

[linkhttp://www.ehow.com/how_16644_rid-home-fleas.html]http://www.ehow.com/how_16644_rid-home-fleas.html[/link]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Bobsk8

I think the only thing that garlic would do in your situation is make your dog sick.  Sound like you have to do some work on the dog's environment.  Do a Google search on defleaing your home and yard, and you  will find many tips.  Stick with the Advantix , it sometimes takes a couple of months....

[linkhttp://www.ehow.com/how_16644_rid-home-fleas.html]http://www.ehow.com/how_16644_rid-home-fleas.html[/link]

What I dont understand is that the cat is in the same environment as the dog and she doesn't have fleas.  The instructions with Advantix says all the fleas should be dead in one hour, I don't understand why it would take a couple of months.  I don't see how garlic would make her sick unless I feed her too much.  I know there are lots of people on this forum that regularly feed garlic to their dogs.  This is all so confusing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You need to treat the environment.  That is why she keeps getting fleas.  That means your house, yard, car, anywhere the dog has touched.  The fleas that are on her probably die, but she gets reinfested again from the environment.  Garlic will not prevent fleas.  It's one of those old wives tales.  It probably won't hurt her, but its not going to help in your situation.
    • Gold Top Dog
    What I dont understand is that the cat is in the same environment as the dog and she doesn't have fleas

Does the cat go outside; fleas are in the yard and if your cat is indoors all the time she may not be exposed to them as much. I agree with the others; you have a bad case of fleas and have to treat the entire house and the yard. It's going to take a lot of work.[&o]
    • Gold Top Dog
    For years I fed dogs garlic and brewers yeast as an attempt to control fleas. It never worked but my dogs have eaten a lot of garlic so I'm not worried about toxicity.

I use Advantage on my dogs every week. (Yes, every week.) After the vet told me I could do this I called Bayer (who makes Advantage). They also assured me that this was ok. They gave me the techincal reasons that I no longer remember.

My house has no carpet and all leather furniture and I also spray it periodically but without the weekly Advantage the fleas keep appearing. I am probably never 100% rid of them but will only find a couple on the light colored dogs when bathing them - the lighter ones attract more fleas and this is what I measure by.

To kill the existing fleas on the dog order some Capstar. (Google it and you'll find a supplier.) This is like magic potion for getting rid of the fleas that are currently on the dog.

As mentioned above everything in your house has to be treated. All bedding, upholstery, mattresses (there's a spray for this), rugs, curtains and any other fabric. I'd call a pest control company to spray your yard and house. I know some people take issue with this as being an environmental hazard but you have to weigh the options.

You need to take care of all these things at once or you'll see little fleas with suitcases just moving from one surface to the next.
    • Gold Top Dog
    The fleas you SEE are only 1% of the total population in your home/yard. If you aren't treating the whole problem, then you aren't treating the problem at all.

My best advice is to wash all the things she lays in, plays on, sleeps on 2-3 times weekly, and vacuum like you're possessed EVERY DAY.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My brother in Austin, TX was over rujn with fleas and depsite baths, dips, fleat treatemtns for h is dogs, spraying yard and house, nothing would get rid of the fleas.  His vet suggested this one place that sprays these little worm things called Nematodes (at least that is how it is pronounced), he did and they n o longer  had fleas.

Frontline had worked for us for years.  This y ear withing 2 weeks of being treated (along with yard being sprayed, house being sprayed) my dogs would have a flea circus onn them.  I would give them the Cap Star tablets--but they are only good for 24 hours, and the fleas would be back.  I had read on several forums about the combination of garlic and  Brewer's yeast.  Some swore by it, others said it didn't work.  I was willing to try.  Abpout 3 months ago i started sprinkling a little garlic powder on their food at night and also giving them a Brewers' yeast tablet.  I have not found a flea on them in about 2 months, nor used any flea stuff on them.  I don't know where the fleas went.  I  have no idea if the combo garlic powder 7 brewer's yeast ran them off or if they all hitched rides out on the many squirrels that come into our yard.    We live on sand on the  Texas coast, fleas are a horrendous problme here some years, and some uyears aren't so bad.  This was the worse in the 19 years we h ave lived down here.

I will  not say the garlic powder and yeat tablets worked, but I can say no fleas for two months.  This could be 100% coincidence, I just don't know.  But i am continuing it.  And if fleas are as bad next year, i hope to find a company down here that does the nematode thing.
    • Gold Top Dog
    As the others have said you need to treat the environment before even beginning to get a hold of the fleas on your dog!I would bathe her which will at least drown the fleas and give her temporary relief until you get a handle on the rest of them.Rinse her with a lemon rinse.I buy mine already made up,but you could probably steep some whole lemons,skin and all in boiling water,wait till it's cooled and then rinse,leave it on,dont rinse it off,this will help repel the fleas.
    Also,she most likely also has worms,so make sure and keep on top of this.
    With this heavy a infestation garlic wont help,although it wont hurt to try once they are gone to hopefully prevent the odd one or two jumping on.In your case you need to get out the heavy artillarary(sp?).But dont waste your time or money dousing her with chemicals unless you're also willing to ttreat the environment,or else you'll be fighting a never ending battle,of which you will lose [&:]

ETA: Someone already mentioned vacuuming everyday,which i do anyway,as my dogs bring alot of mess inside [8|] Vaccum under the couch cushions and behind the furniture,and also put a flea collar in your vacc bag/chamber otherwise the fleas will survive and escape.

Does anyone know how much to garlic to feed a to a ten pound dog daily?

Less than a 1/4 clove,maybe every second day.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Vaccum under the couch cushions and behind the furniture,and also put a flea collar in your vacc bag/chamber otherwise the fleas will survive and escape.

DO NOT put flea collars in your vaccum bags. The heat from the vacuum can heat up the collar and release toxic fumes, not to mention de-activate any active ingredients in the collar anyway.
    • Gold Top Dog
    DO NOT put flea collars in your vaccum bags. The heat from the vacuum can heat up the collar and release toxic fumes, not to mention de-activate any active ingredients in the collar anyway.

Ohh, something I hadn't thought of! Good to know!!!

I feed my 11 pound dog 1/2 clove of garlic PER WEEK. She also gets about 300 mg of MSM per day. Ticks won't attach to her (I find them on ME! and sometimes, crawling on her, but never attached), and she never gets fleas. My larger dog (at 17 pounds) gets about twice as much of each, with less fantastic results. She has a poor immune system, and smells like a sick dog, at times. When she smells sick, she gets fleas. Every. Single. Time.