At what time is it too late to feed?

• Gold Top Dog

At what time is it too late to feed?

What time do you feed your dog and In your opinion, how late is too late to feed a dog? Lizzie gets fed at 7:30 am and again at 5:30-6:00pm. I don#%92t think that#%92s very late.  I think 9-10pm would be a bit late, as Lizzie is snoring by 8.  What does everyone else think?
    • Gold Top Dog
    I try to feed three times a day, which usually works out to before work at around 7 am, when I get home about 5 pm, and right before I go to bed which could be from 10 pm-3 am. They don't seem to care about time, and they are all housebroken and all that so it's not as important to have them on a strict schedule.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I usually feed Daisy and Duke their last meal between 7:00pm and 8:00pm.  Every once in a while it could be a little bit later.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I think your feeding schedule is great.  You know when she's out like a light and you feed her, what, 2-3 hours before that?  I think that sounds good.  If dogs digest food faster than humans do, and we're not supposed to eat, what, is it 4 hours before we go to bed(?) then I think that's great.

I feed Ella between 8 and 9 pm.  But that's because that's when she's hungry.  Also, that's right after we get our kids down to bed for the night and she gets to wind down and isn't as distracted by the kids and goings-on in the house.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I just try to do like... 5-6 hours inbetween meals.

I don't always wake up at the exact same time to feed Kobe, since it's summer his feeding schedule is totally random, but when school starts and I'm working, 6 hours inbetween works for him and me.

When school starts his usual schedule is :
    before 8:00 AM
    2:00 PM
    8:00 PM

Sometimes I feel bad when he only gets 2 meals a day since he's such a skinny guy. :[ So when that happens, I even feed him as late as 12 AM. He doesn't mind as long as he's eatting! And like sooner said, as long as they're housebroken, it should be fine to feed them at anytime.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I feed 3 meals a day also and they are about 7:00 a.m.,   4:30 p.m.,   8:30 p.m.

Our last trip out for the night is about 10:00. 

• Gold Top Dog
    I feed 2xday - about 6:15 am, and then again any time between 5:30 and 7:00 pm. On agility nights, or if we're out somewhere (the dogs and I), it may be as late as 9 or 10 pm - but I try to not make that a habit. If I feed them at 9 or 10, they get more of a snack, and I just shrug off the lack for my easy keepers, and feed more to make up next day for the metabolic geniuses. ;)
    • Gold Top Dog
    Jakes eats about 7:30 am and again around 3:30 pm.  At 8:20 pm he gets 1/4 cup of kibbles (if he doesn't, he throws up yellow bile in the early am).  My sister gives her maltese a snack at 10:20 pm (so he doesn't throw up yellow bile) and Jake gets a couple of bites of my sister's dogs snack at that time too.
    • Gold Top Dog
    It really depends with Roxie.  Most of the time, she refuses to eat in the morning and throughout the day, so she'll eat quite late.  She was ready to eat at 9:00 tonight, complete with a healthy appetite.  My schedule is random, too, so it's not always the same feeding schedule.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Sometimes my dog will start eating his dinner at 8, not eat for awhile, then finish it at midnight.....but of course he is weird, lol.
    • Gold Top Dog
    My dogs wont eat until after their morning walk,no matter if it's at 8am or 12pm.They wont eat in the mornings for the sake of it,they have to 'work' up an appetite first. I'll put their dinner out at around 7,after their evening walk,my piggy will usually eat it straight away,my girlie might not touch it till midnight after we get back from our last walk for the day,or she might scoff it down straight away.As you can see my routine is that i have no routine,which i didnt really realise until i had to think about it to type out this reply [8D] My dogs eat when they're hungry...there! [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Edie

My dogs wont eat until after their morning walk,no matter if it's at 8am or 12pm.They wont eat in the mornings for the sake of it,they have to 'work' up an appetite first. I'll put their dinner out at around 7,after their evening walk,my piggy will usually eat it straight away,my girlie might not touch it till midnight after we get back from our last walk for the day,or she might scoff it down straight away.As you can see my routine is that i have no routine,which i didnt really realise until i had to think about it to type out this reply [8D] My dogs eat when they're hungry...there! [:D]

I'm glad I'm not the only one with no routine. [:)] Gingerbread eats "morningish" and "eveningish". [;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Bogey eats breakfast around 5:30 - 6:00 a.m. and dinner around 3:30-4:30 depending on when I get home.  She'll eat whenever there's food in her bowl, but I don't want to feed her before 3:30 as she'll be starving at bedtime. She, too, is out and snoring by 8:00.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Willow gets her first meal anywhere from 8am to noontime depending on if I'm up early or what's going on.  Then my husband feeds her sometime around 6 or 7 or so.  And, then I feed her another small meal after our last walk at night between 11-1 am.  And, on weekends we could be snacking as late as 3am!  But, if we are working on commands sometimes I just skip that last meal. 

• Gold Top Dog
    How do you guys manage to have the energy to do a 12am walk???
    Lol Im usually in bed by 10, and Im dog tired in the morining, but then again I am anemic [&:]

Lizzie doesnt get walks because we lived in such a populated main road with no sidewalks [:(]

BUT as soon as we move into our new house (in a month) I will be taking her out for for morning and evening walks, and romps in the baseball field thats down the street!! Yay, Im SO excited, I can barely wait!

I feel like a little kid [;)]