January .

iDog

A kennel specifically for long term members to chat
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

January .

We seem to be fading away. Once, we had an active vibrant community. Then we got improved.

Warm weather in MN. Dog park was crowded over the weekend. Actually walked the sidewalks with Sky today. He found a bunny at the park, but called off it easily. He knows they can run faster than he can.

Our house has new siding now. All the outside surfaces have been replaced now-doors, windows, roof. Only thing we have left is re routing the rain drain system . State law says it can not connect to sanitary. It's only money, right. Of course, now the appliances are all 20 years old.

Hope you are all well and prepared for the new year.

• Gold Top Dog

Doug -- I"m not going to see It that way.   We had an "active vibrant community"  but with the internet change HAS to happen -- you can't use the same old computer year after year especially when you have a product to sell.  The change wasn't great -- but what brought about the "death" of this community wasn't apathy -- it was sabotage.  Several folks  took it upon themselves to start a FB page with many of those (many who were a little more technologically savvy than others) TO COMPETE.   Supposedly everyone was welcome ... but it was done in secret and some got word and some didn't.  Belated "oh of course you are welcome"  but the third time I stopped in and saw myself being soundly TRASHED right in front of my eyes I stopped trying.  Now ... for a long period of time those who started their "FB" community wandered back HERE just in time for the Secret Santa at Christmas and a few other goodies  .... but they quickly disappeared after the presents were opened.  MUCH time was spent maligning the original board ... how horrible the software was and why bother.  and some who did try to post and answer questions still got routinely gutted for their efforts.  

And unfortunately  some of the ones who were left were those a bit less comfortable with technology but we tried ... and we tried a long time.  But a few people can't out weigh a larger group that continues to disparage the former whole.  And unfortunately a few of those who did  stay "faithful" were so incredibly negative that it just became a difficult place to spend time.

The owners tried -- not one but TWICE they upgraded the software and gave an unprecedented opportunity to those who stayed to have input on how we wanted it and they tried to appease.  But it needed more advertisement than most of us could do.  

I'm not social -- I'm outgoing and friendly -- but I'm just not the sort to discuss my day.  I am on FB (and I hate it) but I'm on FB on the IMHA page because the need is huge and I can help.  But it's a sweet and supportive group of people which IMHA dogs desperately need.  More survive now than survived when my Billy had IMHA but still far far far too many are lost.  I see names pop up from the "I-Dog" FB group but I ignore it unless someone contacts ME.  I don't use FB as "social" media (David and I are still using e-mail to communicate and it will be our 20th anniversary March 8 and yes ... we "met online".)

The page is fading .. but I'm still glad Dog dot come gives us free access to this.  I suspect if a few took the time to contact the owners and tell them that if they advertised the board on the webpage we would likely try to reciprocate.

But it wasn't apathy  ... and it honestly wasn't the "changes" (I've had TWO I-Phones since then -- change AIN'T easy -- and the industry has changed massively in the last 12 or 15 years -- no one uses  email much any more -- they're too busy texting.)   Most of us hate change.  

But it was the internal sabotage -- those who deliberately started a whole different "place" and omitted  so many and openly criticized  and bad-mouthed  others AND Dog dot com (because it was an easy focal point).

But it's not the same group it was ... some, yes.  life is fluid like that.  And sometimes the resulting things I find I HAVE to deal with that have changed??  Some of it I like, some of it I don't.  But whether *I* like it or not probably isn't going to make or break that thing.  Like a rock sitting in the middle of a stream, if I get balky and just "won't" ... the world is just going to flow around me and no one is going to care much.

But I have good friends here -- people I don't get to talk to enough because sometimes life is difficult.  Glenda, Tracy, Ginger , Kate and others.  (and for a lot of us it's simply that we don't know HOW to quit).  

I know for me when I don't get those notification emails  that list the daily posts it's harder for me to remember ... but that's an EXCUSE.  I'm certainly capable of making sure I "do"  a certain thing daily ... but I get busy.  So I check as I can.  

And yeah ... once again this is me, saying exactly what I think.  But it really wasn't the software -- the software didn't make it easy ... but we really can't blame the software for the mass exodus.

• Gold Top Dog

(and I have to add that the negative nannies who DID stick around  didn't stick around for the long haul -- phew)

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I don't do Facebook.  My wife does, and she actively limits her exposure time and contacts.  Me, I hate change.  Been through a lot of changes.  Was on a rescue forum that went Facebook by invitation only and I didn't make the cut there either.  I bought a dog, a criminally deranged act apparently.

I use a $15 flip phone and turned off texting.  

On another tack, my wife is signing us up for more dance lessons.  Swing style, advanced class.  We may have to start going out for dinner more often.

Be well.  

• Gold Top Dog

I miss the busy days of the forum. I do not missthe cattiness and the way certain groups would gang up on someone. Recently someone on facebook started her BS. I typically avoid this person like the plague.

• Gold Top Dog

:)  Well Doug I wondered where you were, we had started without you      I can feel your pain with everything you have done at home.  Only money.  Seems like it takes so long to save up for something that by the time you can fix that, something else is broke, ha!   I have septic lateral line issues and need a new roof.  Put a new roof on the detached garage last summer cause it was going to fall in, but couldn't afford the house at that time.  It is always something but to me it beats the heck out of living in town in an apartment.  We put thermal pane windows and siding on in 93' now 3 of the windows have lost the seal and gotten moisture in them.  Kinda wish we just had regular old windows single pane is easier to fix.

• Gold Top Dog

By the way, Doug, the dancing is great.  Ron and I used to go every week, keep it up it is great exercise not to mention what makes the wife happy........

• Gold Top Dog

In the pre-conversation "interview"  with David  *I* said "Love me? Love my dogs!"  and David said "I don't dance!"

20 years later we are still trying hard not to change each other LOL ... it just gets a tad more difficult the more set in our ways we become.  rotf laughing

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

January and the thermometer is going to 40F.  Snow melt going down the street and heavy fog.  Drops of water coming off the trees, and I don't think I want Sky running through the run off at the dog park today,  He smelled funky yesterday.  Probably start getting reports of cars going through the ice on lakes, and the river, which was frozen over, is open again.  Might warm up enough to use the lathe in the garage.  Got a couple of walnut logs to play with.  I tried some locust the other day that had been drying for a while.  Hard wood.  Knives didn't want to bite.  Trimmed it down far enough to see some big cracks.

Had an ESS at the park that looked so much like Sky you couldn't tell until you saw the collars.  Watching dogs when humans leave them alone is fun.  And the different breeds that show up are amazing.  Keeshounds, labs, doodles, poodles in all sizes, pits, Rotties, A Landseer Newfie, Setters, Pointers, Bassets.  Nice to get to know some.

• Gold Top Dog

I posted a long post in the other January thread but just wanted to say hello over here and concur that it's a bummer that we don't have as much activity on the site, but I'm glad it's not totally gone.  Even though I don't post as often, I think of all of you frequently.  

I don't use FB either, or any other social media for that matter.  I like email, and I prefer long-form communication, so even texting isn't my preference.  My crummy little phone DOES text, and I've used it a few times when it was really necessary, but I mainly have the phone for emergencies.  

As for the seemingly bottomless pit of home expenses, I can relate, Doug.  Our house is only 13-14 years old, so we're not in the market for a roof or siding, but every single appliance is the same age (we bought the house new), and we fear they will all die on the same day.  We already replaced the washer this fall, and our dishwasher is on its way out.  We've talked about being proactive and replacing one appliance every 6-12 months, but we've not done that.  Between those expenses and all the maintenance work, I often think HOME ownership is over-rated.  I daydream about all the free-time I'd have if we had a smaller condo with no yard to take care of and minimal interior things to maintain.  But then Ruby wouldn't have a big open floor plan to do her racetrack zoomies!  :-)