New member: Please help!

• Bronze

New member: Please help!

Hey all!

I am new here, joined this forum for one reason only - to ask for some information from all of you knowledgeable and dog loving people. This may be long, I apologize in advance. If you wish to skip the back story, the main question is at the end in bold

I am not a dog owner, I am however an animal lover. I own horses so I know what it is like to take responsibility for an animal and to love it with all your heart, just never had the time to devote to a dog unfortunately.

Recently, an acquaintance of mine, let's call her Ms. X, got herself into a situation with her dog that is troubling me. Actually, let me rephrase, I am enraged. If you could see me you would probably be able to see the steam coming out of my ears.

Ms. X has had her dog, lets call him Rover, for almost two years. Rover is a big dog, wonderful temperament and very attractive, loved by all. However, last October Ms. X got a boyfriend, a boyfriend that doesn't like animals. Personally if I were to meet someone that didn't like animals I would be running the other direction, but I digress.

All of a sudden, we are not allowed to talk about the dog in Ms. X's presence and certainly not while the boyfriend is around. We begin to get suspicious and concerned about the well being of the dog. After many requests to show us the dog so that we can make sure that Rover is being taken care of, Ms. X confesses that she surrendered the dog a month ago. Without telling anyone. Well hysteria ensues as there are several of us that are very attached to Rover and the thought of him being at the Pound, alone (or worse) is heart wrenching. So we begin searching the local Pounds in an effort to find precious Rover so that we can bring him home. To no avail.

So, just as we had given up hope, through many tears and sleepless nights, suddenly Ms. X announces that she has re-adopted the dog and drops it off at our place (thank God). Rover is skinny, listless and has runny poop. Ms. X of course maintains that this occurred during Rover's time at the Pound. Uh huh. Rover went to the vet today for a check up and is OK, just in need of some TLC, which he shall certainly receive.

So here is my question: If you surrender a dog to an animal shelter in Texas, will they allow you to re-adopt several weeks later? Is there a law that prohibits this? Or will I be forced to swallow this bunch of hogswash story that Ms. X is trying to sell me?

Cookies for reading!

• Gold Top Dog
    I don't live in tx so its hard to say, but given the state of animal shelters across the country I would imagine they would let the previous owner re-adopt.

It is also very possible that the dog is in the state it is in due to being in a shelter environment. Stress can cause the runs and loss of appetite which can lead to weakness, so on and so forth.

The more important question in my mind is does it really matter if she is lying or not? If the dog is safe with you or someone other than your friend then it is better off.

• Gold Top Dog
    Each shelter has their own policies about adopting/readopting/etc. There's not 'rule' that governs that, as far as I know, aside from the ones they lay down themselves.

That said - as Jewlieee said, shelter life is VERY stressful on a dog/cat.
    • Bronze

Rover is with us, and here to stay as far as I am concerned. I may not have dog experience but I have a heart. Don't remember the last time I was this angry. He is a changed dog since the last time I saw him, skin and bones and no light in his eyes but I hope that the old personality and happiness will come back.

It probably doesn't matter if she is lying or not, except that if SHE is the one that neglected the dog then she has a lot to answer for. People should take responsibility for their actions. In this case of course she shouldn't have the dog back but if she is responsible for the dogs condition, own up to it at least. If the dog truly went to the shelter for a month and came back in the state it is in, well, at least he is home.

Some people shouldn't be allowed within a 10 mile radius of animals, makes me sick.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

• Gold Top Dog

Balto, I think you can rest easy knowing that she will almost certainly pay a price for her disloyalty to her dog.  I can't imagine that the new boyfriend will treat her as well as Rover did.

• Bronze

spiritdogs

Balto, I think you can rest easy knowing that she will almost certainly pay a price for her disloyalty to her dog.  I can't imagine that the new boyfriend will treat her as well as Rover did.

Ha, true that!

• Bronze

Hi welcome to the forum. It was nice to see that you wanted Rover. I'm so happy for him, that he has someone to take good care of him now. Sounds like he is in crumy condition. and needs all your TLC. I can't imagine how he feels after beign throw away for a guy.Awful!  But I aggree with "Spiritdog" about that she will pay the price for not taking care of rover. Anyone who does't like animals is probably not a very nice person.Good luck with him and keep us informed how he's doing

• Gold Top Dog

Welcome Balto...it struck me that you said you hoped to see that light back in Rover's eyes.  I am sure that will happen if you love him as much as it seems in your post.   We took an abused and afraid Bernese Mtn Dog at age 3 and now you would never know it was the same dog.  He loves us, we love him and really that is all it takes.

• Bronze

shadowsgin

Welcome Balto...it struck me that you said you hoped to see that light back in Rover's eyes.  I am sure that will happen if you love him as much as it seems in your post.   We took an abused and afraid Bernese Mtn Dog at age 3 and now you would never know it was the same dog.  He loves us, we love him and really that is all it takes.

That is so good to know, thank you for sharing your story! His physical condition upset me of course but if you could have seen the look in his eyes when he looked at me the first day he was back it was horrible. I am sure you know the look I am talking about, almost like he was scared to meet my gaze and then when he did, it was a look of almost despair, like he was thinking '...and what do YOU plan to do to me now?'

But on to better news: He ran off with one of my shoes in his mouth this morning and led me on a good chase around the backgarden so he is feeling better that's for sure! Looks a bit happier too, it's just so good to have him around and know that he is safe again!

Will keep you guys posted of course Smile

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

A suggestion-get your friend to sign the dog over to you so you can document ownership.  In case the boyfriend goes south, you can keep the pup if she decides she wants the dog again.

• Gold Top Dog

Balto
    almost like he was scared to meet my gaze and then when he did, it was a look of almost despair, like he was thinking '...and what do YOU plan to do to me now?'

We couldnt even get him to look at us...now he will melt your heart with those beautiful eyes.  It did take a lot of time, love, routine, but as time went on we would see changes.  Each step forward we would praise him with affection.  I couldnt touch his paws or tail or neck at first and now omgosh he would lay all day for massages if your hands could last that long.  He is approx 5 now. Still has a fear of storms, gun shot (we live in the country) and loud noises but we have come so far with him that we cant imagine not having this overgrown luv bug in our lives :)   It was a different way of dog parenting than we have ever had to do  so it was good for us as well.
    • Gold Top Dog

Welcome!  I'm so glad Rover found his way into your life.   

DougB

A suggestion-get your friend to sign the dog over to you so you can document ownership.  In case the boyfriend goes south, you can keep the pup if she decides she wants the dog again.

Exactly what I was thinking. 

• Puppy

I don't know anything about specific Texas laws but I know that in Washington and Connecticut, we would not allow someone who surrendered a dog to adopt again, especiallly so soon after.

• Gold Top Dog

Balto
    Rover is with us, and here to stay as far as I am concerned. I may not have dog experience but I have a heart.

Rover's angel, you are.  Thank you for caring.  Thank you for having the heart that you do.  I wish you many years of happiness with your Rover.

I'm sure he is grateful that you have brought him home.  I agree...have the neighbor sign him over to you.  Nothing fancy, just a simple document that states that she has relinquished him to you permanently.

Now, maybe soon...we'll learn his real name.  Welcome to the board, and we'd love to see this lucky dog you now call your own.  Smile