Help w/ dosing multi dogs out of 1 tube of Advantix

• Gold Top Dog

Help w/ dosing multi dogs out of 1 tube of Advantix

For those of you with multiple dogs who use the larger size flea preventitive to treat several dogs out of that one tube, how do you come about the correct dosing amounts?

I use Advantix, and both Jezzy and Keela are under 10 pounds. I have been wondering about doing this for several months but never pursued it. But we might be having a new Min Pin joining our family[:)][:D][:)][:D] in about a month, and I want to start doing this.

The Advantix dose for 0-10 lbs is .4 ml. Can I just use the 21-55 lb tube of 2.5 ml to dose the 3 girls for 2 months? Did I do the math right, or is there another factor I need to take into account? Also, will the tube stay good for 30 days after I open it? The 11-20 lb tube is only 1 ml, and not enough to split between the three girls. I know it says that up to 5 times the recommended dose is not harmful, but I would rather be more precise with the dosing and not over do the chemicals.

I have seen several post about doing this with Frontline, but not with Advantix. Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Amy
    • Gold Top Dog
    That Advantix is pretty strong stuff, and I would be afraid to take the chance of over or under dosing one of the dogs with it.  
    • Gold Top Dog
    I do the same thing with Advantage - I use it on my cats and dog.... I don't know too much about the Advantix though.  I buy the largest thing of Advantage that I can, and it lasts a really long time for all of my furry friends.
    • Gold Top Dog
    But how do you determine the dose size for your guys out of the larger tube?

Like I said, I know people do it with Frontline versions. Advantage and Advantix shouldn't be any different.

Amy
    • Gold Top Dog
    But how do you determine the dose size for your guys out of the larger tube?

I do this with my dogs.  I use a syringe to measure out the correct amount.  I split the 21-44 lb size for them.
    As far as keeping an open container don't know but if I were to do it I would get a sealed tube to store the stuff in.

• Gold Top Dog
    My dog had a very bad reaction to Advantix.  He couldn't stay in the same place, he was very twitchy.  Then he would get really lethargic, to the point you'd have to wake him up.  Then he'd be the complete opposite and not be able to settle down. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    Steve, how much does each of your guys weigh? Just curious to see if my math is right for my girls.  I take it you have never had a problem with fleas and such? That is my one fear, that they won't be getting enough to really repel the fleas.

And thanks for answering on topic![:)]

Amy
    • Gold Top Dog
    Steve, how much does each of your guys weigh?

My dogs are 15 and 19 lbs so they both take the same dosage, so I buy the next size larger tube and split it as it is a little more than twice their dosage .  You need to look at the ml amount in the size that each dog would normally use and measure out that amount for each dog appropriately.

I rotate between advantix and frontline and the technique for splitting the dosage is the same only the amounts are a little different between the 2 products.

• Puppy

There are charts online that you can google if you want to be more exact on the dosing.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

HI you may even want to consider the Seresto collar. It's made by the same people who make Advantix (Bayer) the idea is a time released system that sends out the product more slowly into the dogs system so you don't have a large concentration of the product in one spot. I use them for my dogs and have had great success. I hike with them all the time in very thick woods and they never have a flea or a tick. It lasts for 8 months! Check out this link if you have any questions let me know. www.dog.com/.../400316