Cut off tails and croped ears

• Gold Top Dog

Cut off tails and croped ears

Why do people cut tails and crop ears on certain breeds?

• Gold Top Dog
    Moderator speaking...
    Yep this topic once again...it's okay...it comes up from time to time. [;)]
    As always, I will ask that the discussion remain civil on all sides and at all times. I will hope the self moderation tool will be in full use for each person answering this post.
    • Silver
    Some breeds needed it done becuase they are/were working breeds. And it was to dangerous for the dogs themselves to keep ears and or tails intact.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Tankstar-
    that was my understanding also.  Certain working breeds have not bred out things that are actually dangerous to the dog while working - instead they cropp or whatever.
    What are you thoughts on Dew Claws being removed?  Here in Minnesota everyone seems to do it and people comment that my lab has his.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Dewclaws .. ow,ow. Mal's are very firmly attached and I *wish* his breeder had removed them. (He doesn't have rear dews, only front.) They HURT when he jumps on people (which he only does on command, but still.) When his show career is over and he gets neutered, the little suckers are coming off.

There's a vet out there - Chris Zink- who believes that dogs are more prone to arthritis if their dew claws are removed. I'm not sure I buy it.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Pwca

Dewclaws .. ow,ow. Mal's are very firmly attached and I *wish* his breeder had removed them. (He doesn't have rear dews, only front.) They HURT when he jumps on people (which he only does on command, but still.) When his show career is over and he gets neutered, the little suckers are coming off.

There's a vet out there - Chris Zink- who believes that dogs are more prone to arthritis if their dew claws are removed. I'm not sure I buy it.

Why not just stop telling him to jump on people?  I have not herd of Dew claws being removed before.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Some breeds needed it done becuase they are/were working breeds. And it was to dangerous for the dogs themselves to keep ears and or tails intact.

That makes some sense although I am not sure I buy it.  Why do people crop ears or cut off a tail for a pet or show dog?
    • Gold Top Dog
    entirely traditional to keep the breed look "the same". Used to be practical reasons, but no longer for most dogs.
    Dewclaws really help dogs with traction-- watch a dog do sharp turns and you see the dewclaws actually contact and grip the ground. Also dogs use them to grasp things. I'm against routine removal. If your dog has problems, then fine, remove.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Because I *like* him jumping on these people, I just don't want him scratching them. (It's a surefire way to get my mother out of my apartment quickly when she's being nosy.)

Dewclaws being removed is pretty standard, actually.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Dew claws are often removed because they can catch on things and become injured.

As for docking of show/pets.  Let's take a Doberman for example.  One reason I've heard that their tails are docked is because they are so thin that they can injure themselves when wagging their tails.  I'm not sure how true this is, however.

I do know that this discussion has been hashed out before on this forum.  Perhaps if you use the search feature, you'll find some information.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Dewclaws really help dogs with traction-- watch a dog do sharp turns and you see the dewclaws actually contact and grip the ground.

Interesting.  I have noticed at the park my dog is a little on the slow side but he can cut like no one else!  I have learned that dew claws and tail help him do this.
    • Gold Top Dog
    You know, when my mom got her Min Pin ( I cant remember the actual name for them as i heard some where on tv once that there is really no such breed as a Mini pinscher, then again it may be very wrong...) His tail was already docked. He hadnt had his ears clipped yet though, and they were floppy. now hes about 7 months old, and his ears havent been croppes,a nd they stand erect fine, one ear is semi floppy though but for the most part they look like large cropped ears only not cropped.
    =] hes a cutie though!
    I wonder if many of the dobies and mini pins ears would stand erect without cropping fi some people would give them the chance to stand erect on their own?
    I understand most dogs that have cropped ears, are too heavy/floppy to hold up without being gropped.
    just a wonder...

As for angel and teh rest of my dogs, they all have thier dew claws.

Original: Pwca,
    (He doesn't have rear dews, only front.)

I've never known any dog to even be born with rear dewclaws....is this true?

EDIT: Pardon the typoes! fast typer! [:'(]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Let's take a Doberman for example. One reason I've heard that their tails are docked is because they are so thin that they can injure themselves when wagging their tails. I'm not sure how true this is, however.

It does not sound particuarly true.  It is kind of like saying a dog might run into something so lets cut off thier legs.  Unless it is a common problem then it sounds more like an excuse. Educate me if I am wrong!
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: wysperwolf

I've never known any dog to even be born with rear dewclaws....is this true?

Ripley has rear dew claws, Frosty does not. I always assumed the breeder removed Frosty's, but maybe he never had them??
    • Gold Top Dog
    it does not sound particuarly true.  It is kind of like saying a dog might run into something so lets cut off thier legs.  Unless it is a common problem then it sounds more like an excuse. Educate me if I am wrong!

That's almost like saying all dogs are the same.
    no im not being snooty =]
    Just to say, Not all breeds are built the same. Some dogs do have rather thin tails.
    like greyhound for exm. grey hounds have long lean skinny bodies and legs, to help them run super fast. It does a grey hound no good to feed it so much that it looks filled and up to a weight some one wants it to look, only because they are born slender and have a thin figure.
    German shepherds hard lean, broad shoulders, but huskies on the other hand, have more narrow shoulders.
    A huskies tail is thiker in tail size than a greyhound as grey hound need a thinner tail for balance of their bodies.
    -shrugs- maybe im terribly wrong.

Ripley has rear dew claws, Frosty does not. I always assumed the breeder removed Frosty's, but maybe he never had them?? 

Wow, Ive never come across a dog with rears.. Ive seen lots of new born pups, maybe i just never noticed them....I must see a pic of a dogs hind  foot that has dew claws! wow you learn something new every day![:D]