Crate door rattles in car - How to stop?

• Gold Top Dog

Crate door rattles in car - How to stop?

Kaiser rides in a crate in the back of my Vue -- I have the rear seats folded forward to make room for the dogs, so the crate is on a solid surface (ie: not a cushioned/padded seat).  The crate door rattles something terrible sometimes as we go down the road.  I've tried positioning the crate in a few different ways and it doesn't make a difference.

It doesn't seem to bother the dogs at all, but it's annoying to me!  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to quiet the rattle?

• Gold Top Dog

Turn the radio up?

Seriously, try a small bungee to hold the door in place so it's nice and snug.

• Gold Top Dog

Yup!!

You can get sports tape from the pharmacy department and wrap the door handle where it rattles against the rest of the crate.  I have done this with all the door handles in the crates that are in my van most of the time.  I also run a bungy cord across the top of the crate with something underneath the cord, to keep the top from rattling.

The door handle and the spots of the straight slider piece are wrapped with sports tape to remove the banging against the rest of the crate.  I also have a bungy that holds the side door of the crate tight against the side.  That one just goes from the bottom of the crate up the side and connects to the top somewhere.  It's sole purpose is to keep that side door latch from rattling the whole door.  Works pretty well.  On really bad roads they still rattle but most of the time I don't notice it.

• Gold Top Dog

OMG mine does the same thing and I hate it!  First it was the latch handle, so I wrapped it with electrical tape.  It's still rattling, and I think it's the little latches on the side that allow you to lock the crate into a flat position and carry it, so now I need to tape that.

• Gold Top Dog

I was gonna say vet wrap around whatever it takes to tighten it up.

• Gold Top Dog

I vote on turning the tunes up!

But, get some Vet Wrap or Ace Bandages. Wrap up what you think is moving....

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

OMG mine does the same thing and I hate it!  First it was the latch handle, so I wrapped it with electrical tape.  It's still rattling, and I think it's the little latches on the side that allow you to lock the crate into a flat position and carry it, so now I need to tape that.

It might be the small pieces of metal on the top of the crate that allow the top to fold over the sides.  Those are the only thing that rattles on my crates now and I can't tape them in a way to make them stop.  So the bungy on top with a weight (crate pad) on top under it does the trick to force the top down as much as possible and keep those things taught.  The smaller crates don't rattle as much as the bigger ones do.  But the sports tape was cheap and small enough that I could do the latches and pieces easily enough.