Soap Making

• Gold Top Dog

Soap Making

Does anybody make their own soap? My brother and I got really interested in this craft just recently and I was wonderring if anybody could give me some input or a good website or book that has instructions on how to make soap. I found a kit on ebay which looks really decent and has the stuff we would need but I would like more information. It sounds like fun too.  

• Gold Top Dog

I found a few videos on it when I was looking up how to make bath bombs on About.com.  I like that site. 

• Gold Top Dog

Try here, it should have some links for supplies.

I am working on saving a couple of buckets to make my own laundry soap myself :)

• Gold Top Dog

Truley

I am working on saving a couple of buckets to make my own laundry soap myself :)

I think my mom would love that idea!! :)

• Gold Top Dog

I priced it, the bar of soap was about $1.49, the borax was like $3.59 and the washing soda $2.69. Total, about $10 to make a couple gallons of laundry soap if you take in account water and anything else you add. The "soap" does not have suds and it suppose to do a good job.

Here is the link:

http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/articles/detergent.shtml

• Gold Top Dog

Hmmm... I wonder what is special about that bar of soap?  It gives you a few different subs to use in place of it, but they seem pretty vague.  I have about 5 bars of some kind of soap that I really don't like in my cupboard, I wonder if i could use those. 

• Gold Top Dog

I tried the whole soap making thing and my first couple batches didnt come out to well just simply because it was hardening before I could swirl in color and stuff.  Once I started using the double boiler it works better.  I just did melt and pour as the cold press seems difficult and much more involved.  The books I got were "Everything Soapmaking" and "Smart Soapmaking" I think.  The Smart Soapmaking is really for the cold process soap and not really melt and pour. They have little kits at Michaels and stuff but the soap base isn't really good and doesnt lather very well.  Yahoo has groups for soapmaking and you can join that and learn from the gang there.  I only made a few batches and havent had the time to make some in a while.  Maybe this weekend :)

• Gold Top Dog

Huskymom, there are a few different bars you can use, lever 2000 and Ivory are a couple that come to mind, basically if you use it on your body it should work. I will try and find the site that listed the other bars.

• Gold Top Dog

This soap making business is getting more interesting by the day. Where can you find lye?

• Bronze

Colloidal silver excels in skincare, providing a natural and effective solution for various skin concerns. From acne to minor cuts, colloidal silver can help speed up healing and reduce the risk of infection, all while being gentle on the skin. It’s a versatile product that can benefit everyone.