Can a tick collar be used with Frontline Plus

• Gold Top Dog

Can a tick collar be used with Frontline Plus

Hi everyone.  I'm going to call the vet in a little while.  But, I thought people here might know since there are many people who hike and take the dogs into the woods (like me) on this forum.

Is it OK to use the Preventic (I think that's the correct spelling) tick collar with the Frontline Plus? 

I've seen some sites that say it's OK, some say it's double dosing and some say it is OK with other topicals that don't provide tick protection? 

What are your thoughts??

Thanks!

Lori

• Gold Top Dog

If this helps, the box says "do not treat collared dogs with any other monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or with tricyclic anitdepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or pressor agents".  But Frontline and Frontline Plus also kills ticks, so you shouldn't need a Preventic collar if you're using one of them.  Smile

edited to correct typos

• Gold Top Dog

TBH I would ditch the collar and rely on the topicals. Collars (flea or tick, even ones with fat-soluble Amitraz like Preventic) provide on very limited protection because the chemicals in them don't diffuse much past a small area of the neck and shoulders - they are formulated in a more "solid" consistency (i.e. in a collar) than the more effective liquid topicals and just don't spread right or evenly most of the time.

• Gold Top Dog

whtsthfrequency

TBH I would ditch the collar and rely on the topicals. Collars (flea or tick, even ones with fat-soluble Amitraz like Preventic) provide on very limited protection because the chemicals in them don't diffuse much past a small area of the neck and shoulders - they are formulated in a more "solid" consistency (i.e. in a collar) than the more effective liquid topicals and just don't spread right or evenly most of the time.

While this is true of most flea and tick collars, according to my vet, Preventic works the same way as Frontline and Advantage- the chemical mixes with the skins oils, thus, after 24 hours or so, the entire dog is covered.  Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Hmmm really. Do you know if there are any references? I tend to be extremely skeptical about a lot of topical insecticides, so I could be wrong. It is a newer type collar, correct? Do you know anything about the formulation that allows it to spread better, supposedly? Time to use me some Google.

• Gold Top Dog

I wouldn't. I would just stick with a flea prevention that does ticks too.

• Gold Top Dog

whtsthfrequency
    ...It is a newer type collar, correct? ...

Preventic collars have been around about as long as Frontline.  When I used them on Mick, we didn't have Frontline yet (it came out a few months later).  As for references, all I have is what my vet told me.  I'm sure somewhere there is something tho, I just don't have it.   

I wouldn't. I would just stick with a flea prevention that does ticks too.

The only problem with that is you would be using two chemicals (one for the ticks and one for fleas) and I don't see the sense in that if you only need to fight the ticks.  Frontline needs to be used every month for ticks, every three months for fleas.  The Preventic collar works for 3 months.  Now, don't get me wrong, I like Frontline.  I just can't see putitng something on Caleb once a month when I can accomplish the same thing using another, somewhat similar product every three months.  Like I said before, over the years I've used Frontline and Preventic Collar (obviously at different times), and was happy with the results from both.

• Gold Top Dog

It's always been my understanding that "collars" for fleas and ticks only push the little buggers down to the tail area only really repelling them from the neck and shoulder areas.

We have a bad tick problem by us and no matter what I use my animals still get them.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks everyone.  She does get Frontline Plus every month.  The issue I'm having is I'm still finding ticks--we are in wooded areas daily.  So, I was thinking maybe the collar would add some extra protection. 

But, now I'm worried, I dont' want them repelled all over my house where they can get on us?? 

Still thinking. . .

• Bronze

It's kind of expensive but what about this

• Gold Top Dog

I've seen the Neem spray and I like it.  But, it's not strong enough for the amount of exposure she has and the amount of fur that she has.  The Frontline Plus isn't even doing it 100%. 

• Gold Top Dog

Us too Lori we live in a wooded area and that is why those ticks are so bad.  We use revolution and since revolution has some tick prevention my Vet has us alternate Rev and Front line every 2 weeks in the bad season.  I was complaining that Revolution wasn't doing the trick for ticks!  But I found that frontline isn't a miracle either my dogs STILL get them. 

What I did find through observation of my dogs is this.  Hailie my pug never goes into the woods, she rarely has ticks.  River tends to stay on the paths they made and has fewer ticks.  Brooke is my mountain goat, she is always into the wood and has ticks everyday regardless of the prevention.  Not a lot of them but a couple (I imagine without the prevention she would be covered) she is short haired and light brown color so we see them walking on her head and can get them often.  Other times we find them buried and we try our best to keep her off furniture, beds etc so not to drop them on our furniture.  My cat is long haired and she loves to sleep in the middle of the grasses in the woods and she too get them often. 

Since tick don't fly or hop they transfer onto the animals via: climbing up growth (bushes and high grasses) and when the animals rub against them the attach. The also get there via: deer or animals by being rubbed onto the high grasses. Lawns don't usually have a high content of ticks because they are manicured.  So prevention in keeping Willow (if you can) out of the woods and high grasses will help a lot.

PS:  My Vet has also suggested that if I know my dogs are going on a hike to use a spay before we go, in addtition to there monthly treatments for extra pertection.  

• Gold Top Dog

willowchow

...But, now I'm worried, I dont' want them repelled all over my house where they can get on us??... 

They won't be repelled by either Frontline or the Preventic collar, but you might find them on the florr before they die. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Hmm, I like the idea of spraying her with the Neem first--staying out of woods would not work--we LOVE going into the bush together, LOL!! 

Mick's mom--I could of sworn I read that the collar repells them--maybe I read wrong, my mind is going!

Thanks!  I think I'll do the spray--since that's natural and won't over dose her with chemicals and still apply the Frontline Plus monthly. 

I called her a "tick bag" today and she smiled at me--with that chowy face. . .