Is Bag Balm OK?

• Gold Top Dog

Is Bag Balm OK?

Someone told me you can use Bag Balm for dry paw pads.  I take my puppy for lots of walks and there is salt on some sidewalks. (should they be soaked in something)... I need something that would be safe cause I know he will be licking his paws.  I don't think he would do well with those doggie booties ....
    • Gold Top Dog
    you can buy an ointment specially for dog paws. I can't recall the name but my local pet shop carries it. IF they have it I'm sure most pet stores have it
    • Gold Top Dog
    I am interested in the answer to this question too. Bag balm I thought was used on sled dogs.  I would like to know if that particular balm is not toxic and good for their paws.  Most likely they would be licking it if they got the chance.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I use bag Balm all the time.  It's great for all kinds of dry skin- pads, elbows, hands,  feet, etc.  Mick licked everything you put on him, and it never bothered him.  Doesn't bother Caleb, either.  I'm sure if he ate a large amount of it, he'd get the runs, but that's it.
    • Silver
    • Gold Top Dog
    I find it very greasy, I have heard good things about Mushers Secrethttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0002XIZXY/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/104-2881261-6946309?ie=UTF8&n=1055398&s=home-garden

Yep.......go with that one.....[;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    I just use vasoline.  I put it on before walks and wipe everything off when we get back, nothing ends up sticking to the paws.  My vet said it was fine.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Bag balm is pretty much just pure lanolin.  Dairy farmers use it all the time on  udders, and I've heard that that's the reason dairy farmers have such soft hands. [:)] It is great for your hands and feet, and since it's something that's actually meant to be used on animals it should be fine.  Even if the dog does lick some of it off, it wouldn't hurt  him/her. You only need a tiny bit so for about $6 at the drugstore, you can buy a tin of it that would probably be a lifetime supply.

Joyce
    • Gold Top Dog
    Cocoa butter

Caution: it will make you want to eat some chocolate.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I love Bag Balm!

You don't need to apply as much as you would other substances. It stays in place better than like Vaseline would. Vaseline I find runs as the body warms it. I have NEVER had that experience with Bag Balm. I have used it on my horses, dogs, self for years. It is probably cheaper than the Mushers stuff.
    • Gold Top Dog

ORIGINAL: bunni

Cocoa butter

Wouldn't that be harmful? I know that even cocoa mulch for the garden is very toxic to dogs. I'd avoid this myself just to be safe.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Bag Balm is great and safe. It can be used for everything from cracked dry hands to diaper rash. Musher's Secret is also excellent. BB is the cheapest and easiest to find. Wally World in the Pet Dept (green tin)
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't know anyone who hangs around horse barns that hasn't used Bag Balm for years on the horses, the dogs, and themselves, and I've not heard of any adverse reactions.  Musher's Secret is fine, but pricey. There's a product called Paw Pro that you can use, too.  It's a spray, so good for the dogs that might be a bit "iffy" about you messing around too much with their feet.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: hdkutz

Bag Balm is great and safe. It can be used for everything from cracked dry hands to diaper rash...

Aaa!  Someone else who uses it for diaper rash!  It's the only thing that worked on our oldest son.  Back when I first used it, the BB I was using had a strong smell.  I lost count of how many times I changed our son, and put him out in the yard in his playpen, only to have a camp staff come to the door a few mintues late and say our son's diaper needed changing.

• Gold Top Dog
    Hey, Anne we agreed twice in one day. Watch it or people will think something is going on.