Is hardwood flooring a good idea when presence of canine is there.

• Puppy

Is hardwood flooring a good idea when presence of canine is there.

We are planning on renovating our home and we have a thought for our flooring and that would be to have oak hardwood. Our real concern on having hardwood flooring is our dear pets, Strike and Dew, a BC and a Poodle respectively. They are playful but at the same time much disciplined ones, but they can at times scratch things when left unnoticed.
    We gave hardwood a thought because Ridgeway Design Centre http://www.ridgewaydesigncentre.ca/ Oakville branch is in our neighborhood and they gave us a good offer. We want the deal but at the same time I don’t want to see the deal to be scratched off on the second day itself. Just want to know the possibilities of our pets to scratch the floors and what are the precautions that we can take to avoid it.

• Gold Top Dog

I've had hardwood floors with as many as six german shepherds at one time.  No floor damage resulted, however, it's a good idea to provide plenty of long runner type rugs as many dogs are not comfortable on hardwood or bare floors.

• Puppy

Anyone who has a backpack vacuum that is able to pick up lots of hair from dogs and can be used on hardwood floors? I saw GV 8 Qt  is highly rated here www.bestofvacuum.com/best-backpack-vacuum. Not sure if it has great suction power.