Chat for Month of March 2015

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Oh and I tried to reach out to the forum folks re the spam etc and got no response and I don't seem to have any abilities any more to do anything

• Gold Top Dog

Karen, it's so nice to "see" you!  I think of you and Bugsy often.  I know how hard it is to see our beloved dogs show major signs of aging.  I remember feeling that way when Tonka started to really slow down and develop symptoms of LP and muscle atrophy in his hind legs.  When Ruby is really trying my patience with her excessive energy and demands for attention, I remind myself that some day I will wish she were still zooming around at break-neck speed and I should appreciate her exuberance while it lasts.  

Please give Bugsy belly rubs from me, and some nose kisses, too.  As for his spinal issue, our friends have a 12-year old Doberman who developed lots of spine problems when he hit about 9 years old, and they have had great results with acupuncture (along with some meds when his discomfort is really acute).  I hope Bugsy is able to swim as weather gets warmer -- that's such a great gentle exercise.

Good luck getting your retired DH to tackle the DIY projects . . . when my DH was home a lot due to cutbacks at his shop a few years ago, I hoped for the same thing, but sadly only a couple things got crossed off the list.  Which reminds me -- he said he was going to paint the kitchen this winter.  Hmmmm, it's nearly spring, so I guess it won't be happening!  :-)

Doug, I saw your post on another thread with your photos from your boat trip -- that pic of the eagles was amazing!  What a sight that must have been!

Stressful week for me at work, and DH's sister and niece arrive tomorrow for 3 nights.  Good thing I'm getting  a massage after work today; I need help getting my neck and shoulders to un-knot!

• Gold Top Dog

Tina, I meant to ask if you've had any luck trapping your feral/stray cat?  I hope so!

• Gold Top Dog

Tracy, we are going to wait another week or so to ensure the snow is all melted and it's above freezing because we don't want the cat to freeze to death in the trap. Good news, though, he's been sleeping in the little dog house I set up for him, so he's a little more comfortable in my yard.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

just experienced the issue with not being able to see the pages of the thread. Wow I really need to find those emails and ask what the heck is happening,

For those of you not on FB may be you could join under your dog's name or something so you could be on there but not have to disclose your identity.

It sure feels like this place is a raft out at sea

Thanks Tracy, Bugsy is my heart. I can only stand back and admire how he has always happily dealt with all the crap he's had to deal with, I know he's aging but I can't describe how strongly my gut knows there is something going on. A good friend is a vet - equine - but she understands. It has been a rough few months and the symptoms and signs just don't all match up right now.

Regardless, he is happy and so silly. Still zooms just less frequently and for shorter times but at nearly 10 for a true 105lb dog he's doing well.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I just emailed the people I knew of that are supposed to run this forum

• Gold Top Dog

Good luck with getting a response Karen!  The raft thing is a perfect analogy.

I'm sorry to hear that B isn't doing great.  Fingers crossed that its only a normal slow down due to aging.

• Gold Top Dog

Karen that raft analogy summed it up perfectly.  I am getting to the point of giving up on this place, but I know I'll miss those that I won't still "see" on FB.  That's the only reason I keep coming back, to see what's going on w/ them.  

It is so heartbreaking to see them aging.  I signed up to do a 5k fundraiser for a shelter near us, and you can bring a dog to do it with you.  I signed Co-Co up, but I'm really going to have to evaluate in the next 2 months if, at 10 and being relatively lazy, if she should actually do it.  A few years ago I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.  I'm hoping in the next 2 months I can get both of us (I might need it more than her!) ready.

Tina, I'm glad the cat is at least sleeping in the dog house  :)

A friend of mine from school talked me in to selling Thirty - One with her.  So that's my latest challenge.  Sales are not my strong suit.  I can do the "behind the scenes" stuff, like setting up online parties, taking pictures of items, putting together combos to show "add-on" options, even being really excited about the products and seeing how to use the specials to save $.  But when it comes down to actually convincing someone to part with their money?  Yea not best quality.  

I'm so glad it's Friday, I am ready for the weekend.

• Gold Top Dog

Also the snow has now finally melted and I had to de-poop the yard a couple days ago.  I hate that job.  I'm not a fan under normal circumstances, cleaning up after it being inaccessible for 2-3 months and everything damp from the melt.... yuck.  But its done, so at least I am done w/ that chore for another year.

Oh!  Something fun I've been getting into lately.... a friend found a Groupon to do a PaintNite even for $25.  I've done a couple and it is pretty cool.  Basically they hold them at local restaurants/bars and you can eat/drink and they walk you through a painting.  They supply the paint, brushes, apron, canvas, and take pictures, all you have to do is show up!  

I did one by myself:

And one w/ my friend:

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Stephanie nice work!!

Apparently Jonathan and his agency are no longer associated with this project - no response from the tab.com folks

If Co-co has no joint issues I am sure she can do it - you might just find yourself walking parts of it. B can easily do long walks still and he goes at a good clip.

I won't do 5k's with him because he wants to win LOL and I can't run like that any longer :) I am sure he shouldn't either but he does it every year at the dog walk. Thankfully that is only a 3k

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

As a result of the remodel, i have tools, parts, and supplies all over.  Jr discovered my roll of black tape and left a trail of little black pieces of sticky tape all over the house.  Apparently his life mission involves destroying my sanity.

Ran Sky at the river WMA past the ponds where the geese like to nest.  Two pair watching us, one pair really honking.   Sky was interested, but the pond has a layer of slush and really thin ice around the edge.  So he searched until he found solid ice to use while making friends with the geese.  Fortunately, "Come" is his favorite command.  He was just starting to trot out.    Beaver may have been trapped out.  No signs of a feeding pile.  Woodpeckers really drumming now.  

Supposed to get final shelving in tomorrow.  A real kitchen.  All it takes is money.

Working in the yard now.  Buckets of droppings.  He only weights 45lbs.  Dropping have to weigh more than that.  Tying up the grapes.  The old ones-Alexander and Oz, are really showing their age, but they have the best flavored grapes available.  The jam is to kill for. Catherine, the new one, is getting big enough to tie up and train now.  May have to get several more though.  i would like to make some wine, and right now they all go for grape jam..

Hopefully, this will post to March thread.

• Gold Top Dog

Raft at sea -- I agree, the perfect analogy!  And your update, Karen, confirms it.  Jonathan and team have been MIA for a long time, and without any special posts or notice about what's happened, then it sounds like truly no one is manning the ship (or raft).  

Whoever suggested setting up a FB page in our dog's name -- I've heard that idea before.  But actually, it's not my name/identity being out there that keeps me from using it.  It's the preference to avoid one more way I'd waste time using a screen.  To be clear, I don't mean that interacting with friends (online friends or any other type) is a waste of time --- I just mean that I know my personality, and my obsessive need to check email all day, as well as lots of computer time during non-work hours consuming lots of time that I should be using for things like exercise (for me AND Ruby!), hobbies, home projects, etc.  My poor eyes are already failing by the day due to hours using a PC at work, so I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of FB.  Every now and then I nearly cave in, so I'll let you know if I do!

DH's sister and niece were here all weekend.  They came 1,500 to celebrate MIL's BD.  Both days we tried to take her out for a special meal, but she decided she "wasn't up to it."  Yes, she's 88 and has trouble walking, but there's no reason she couldn't have gotten out of her nightgown, let us use a wheelchair and take her to a nearby restaurant for a nice change of scenery.  We all agree (family and doctors) that along with her various medications, she could use an anti-depressant, but if you suggest it, she literally snarls, "Those are for weaklings!"   It's a difficult state of affairs, to say the least.  Her choices and lifestyle habits have created a life of isolation.  She's an example to us of what NOT to do as we age.

Steph, your painting work looks great!  I went to one of those -- it was a fundraiser for our local shelter.  It was really fun.  Our painting had cats in it (in honor of the shelter pets).  If they hold another one, I plan to go.  I have zero craft-talent, but it wasn't too overwhelming to try it!

• Gold Top Dog

I forget to go to Facebook much of the time.  And I just don't have it in me, I guess, to let it all hang out on a format that

is so very public.  Not that the forum isn't, but somehow it feels more intimate.

Tracy, people of that generation do feel like anti-depressents are for sissys.  Mom has often said, "well, what does she have to be depressed about?"  Mental  health has long had a negative image....my gosh, look what they used to do to "treat" people!!  Electric shock therapy, straight jackets, and  heaven knows what else.  Even today many of the physotrophic meds have such horrendous side affects that many who need them just won't take them.  I think people of that age just can't understand that this is a physical condition, a chemical imbalance.  Sigh.

Back to the packing......

• Gold Top Dog

You're totally right, Glenda, about that generation commonly having that attitude about such things.  According to DH and his sisters, they believe she has needed counseling and treatment for depression for most of her adult life, but along with resisting professional help, she never nurtured any genuinely warm family or friend relationships for support either.  

And I agree about FB being too public.  Sure, this is an online forum, with content available to anyone, anytime, but I would never post what I just did about my MIL if I were on FB, because extended family members would obviously see it, and there are a few people who would strongly disagree with me or disapprove of what I said.  I know the anonymous "status" of using of a forum like this isn't really secure or assured, but it's different than sharing some thoughts on FB where everyone really does know who you are!  I sure as heck wouldn't feel comfortable griping about my job, my family, etc., on FB!

And what's this about packing?  Are you moving again?  Did I miss something in an earlier post?

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe I didn't mention it, but the landlord has failed to make ANY repairs, including the leaking roof.  I finally had to file a complaint with the health department and she's started doing a few little things.  She also, when I did push just a little about the roof, she decided to put the house on the market.  As for the roof?  At the moment I've got six buckets in one end of my living room to

catch the water that likes to pour in.

Between that and the hassle of people romping through at will, it's just time to go.