Hello!! Anyone Remember Me??

• Gold Top Dog

Hello!! Anyone Remember Me??

Hi everyone. Yup it has been a LONG time.... Occasionally I try to lurk but I have to admit the new site confuses me. 

I still have 4 dogs. Belle is now 11, Teddi is 8, Quinn is 5 and Gabby is now 4. Time flies. We have been SO busy with the two little monkeys. Between agility, hunt tests (spring/summer) and competition obedience its been a little hectic. And getting to all the various training sessions I feel like a soccer mom, only my kids have 4 legs and a tail. 

Gabby and Quinn both are running master level in agility working on their MACHs. Both dogs can (and have) beaten the border collies. Quinnie is a little behind Gabby on the Q's because she had to have both knees done over the past couple of years. She is good to go and running like a maniac again. Hubby says they have some catching up to do. Gabby just two weekends ago took second place in a standard class between to border collies. Gabby just finished her UD and we are going to go for her UDX. She is an amazing dog to work with. Gives her all everytime you ask. Tons of fun. We will be starting to run master level at AKC hunt tests, and my husband will run her Finished in HRC. He does that because that involves actually shooting a gun, I don't do that. Quinn still has noise issues at the line but was much improved before her surgery last summer. We are hoping maybe we can proceed with her this year. I am working her in obedince, hoping she can run novice at this years national specialty. She does well just has a hard time with the nuances like "keep watching me". She's never had to before. 

Teddi is doing incredibly well. For a dog with as many structural issues as she has to see her running, bounding, playing etc its amazing. I honestly didn't think when we did her THR 7 years ago, she would be moving around like she is at 8. Her non THR side is really bad. Had a trip to an eVet not too long ago, required xrays vet said she NEVER saw a dog with worse films. She is a trooper. I hope to finish her CD at golden specialty this year, but we will see... its up to Teddi if it happens or not. She has to be "in the mood" so far she has not been. LOL She is a class A Princess!!! 

Then there is Belle.... Well she is fine, I guess but the past year or two she has developed some neurological problems. We have seen a nuerologist, vets, physical therapists and she has not really responded to what we have tried but I draw a line at expensive or invasive procedures. I limit what I will put her through. She had an FCE on her 7th birthday but the neurologist says it is not related. This past summer she lost all muscle, and muscle control, and developed laryngeal paralysis. We have her breathing under control on low dose of prednisone. She seems her muscle wasting as stabilized but she is weak. She can't get up on her own if she is not on carpet. She can't climb stairs, and going down stairs is sometimes a challenge too. She has hit the landing wall. We try to keep her upstairs and really she doesn't come down much (we have a ranch house but our TV is in the basement). However she wants to be with us... We just push her up stairs at the end of the day. Vets re assure me she is not in any pain, it just her neurons are not firing or communicating with her body. However it still hard to see my big strong dog waste before my eyes. I find my self worrying about quality of life. She seems happy, eats great, we take her around the block every day for a walk. Keeps her muscles moving, helps her relieve herself but that is all she can handle before she is too tired. This AM her back toenails started bleeding.... she has worn them to nubs. I just hope she is really ok. I owe her everything and she owes me nothing. I love my big black girl. 

Super cold here in MI. Can't wait for spring. Art and I are going to OH for an agility trial first full weekend in March with the two young dogs. The older two stay home with a sitter. 

If anyone has any input on thoughts for Belle... I am all ears.... 

Ann

Belle (blk lab 11yrs) MJPB, MXPB

Teddi (golden 8 yrs) RN

Quinn (blk lab 5 yrs) MX, AXJ

Gabby (golden 4 yrs) RA, GO, CDX, UD, SH, MXB, MXJ, U-CD, U-RO1, HR, UJJ , WCX, VCX

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Ann, I remember you. No input from me about Belle, but I know you are doing all you can for her.

Tina

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Ann!  Me too.  I remember you.

I also don't have any suggestions about Belle, except to say that you will know when the time is right.

Great to "see" you back.  And, yeah, the new format is confusing as heck, which is likely why the forum is so inactive.

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Ann *waving* --- how fast life whizzes by!  You have my good thots and prayers for Bellie

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Ann good to see you, wishing you and all your  crew well.  

• Gold Top Dog

Hi Ann - I do remember you and your pups!  Good to hear from you.   Sounds like you're having great success with the agility work with Gabbi and Quinn.  And I understand the Class A Princess thing -- we've got one of those with Ruby, too!  

I'm sorry to hear Belle is dealing with several aging and mobility problems.  We watched our Tonka experience many of those things -- the LP and muscle atrophy in his hind legs.  Is there any possibility she'd wear a soft bootie or even a kid's sock on her back paws to protect them from scraping?  I understand the daily worry and wondering about quality of life.  Til the day he died, Tonka enjoyed eating, so we never had food avoidance as a sign, which made it much harder to know how he was truly feeling.  Sure would be nice if they could talk to us, even for 2 minutes, just to tell us what they feel and what they want to endure.  Sending you strong vibes as you cherish each day with your special girl!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I went through the rear leg problems with several dogs.  Vet gave me several reasons it happens, but usually it is a sign that we have given our dogs a longer life than their bodies were designed for.  Kind of a blessing and a curse.  

When Piper started having these problems, I put carpet runner on the stairs to give her better traction, and small rubber backed rugs on the wood flooring.  At the end, I was carrying her up and down the stairs.  You could see she wanted to walk and run.  Spirit was willing, body failed her.

The granite is in the kitchen, and the uppers will be in Monday.  We can cook now, but I will have to get a plumber to hook up the new sink.  Hard to live without cooking or having a kitchen sink.

Went fishing on the Mississippi river by Red Wing, MN yesterday.  Warm sunny light breeze.  Eagles flying-one sat and watched us for hours- and got pictures of a nesting pair

Long range and the boat was moving.  I need a better camera.   

Interesting ride back.  My brother and his friend (boat owner) discussed recipes  all the way back.  

Red Wing MN is a historic and beautiful town on the river, with bluffs to climb and a fantastic river front.  If you are ever in the area, it is a good stop over.

Fresh fish for dinner tonight.

• Gold Top Dog

Hi, Ann! How are you. I haven't posted here in a long time either. WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE. It seems to have evacuated. Are you going to the Premier this year? Let me know and we can meet up again. I still have Trudy and Grace....& Sunny and now my S.O. has added a Norwegian elkhound called Celine. Diane Erwin