Web design friends - link color question

• Gold Top Dog

It's the same file. I used Fetch to upload it.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Jan when I looked at the page in page source view there is no text - what happens when you click through Dreamweaver to preview it in FF or IE?

• Gold Top Dog

Can you go into the code, the html, and copy paste a section of text including any surrounding html?

•       

Copy:

• Gold Top Dog

Nav:

Thank you for visiting tlc-dogtraining.com. TLC Dog Training was established in 2000 by owner/operator, Carol Lofquist.

Today TLC Dog Training offers a variety of services for people and their companion dogs.

All training sessions allow you and your dog to learn at a pace that's right for you. You are a beginner only on your first day of training... you are continuing thereafter.

• Learn methods of positive reinforcement training.

•                        
    • Learn a common language.

•                        
    • Establish a lasting bond with your dog.

•                        
    • Solve or redirect behavior problems, such as house-soiling, jumping, nipping, and chewing.

•                        
    • Learn to control your dog both on and off leash.

•                        
    • Pursue advanced opportunities in Companionship Training for Special Needs, Rally Obedience, and AKC Canine Good Citizen.

•                        
    • Participate in agility, flyball, rally obedience, or join the North Central Wisconsin K9 Search and Rescue team.

•                      

• Gold Top Dog

Karen, it looks messed up in the "Preview in Browser" also.

• Gold Top Dog

What is the code in the style class called "main"?

• Gold Top Dog

Have you uploaded all the pages you're linking to within the site?

• Gold Top Dog

tashakota
    What is the code in the style class called "main"?

I think that's how she's identified the main content but I'm not sure.

In your "main" content table, did you establish a new table for that part of the layout or are you using a row from a previous table? It looks like you closed the nav table (/table) but it also looks like there's another table in nav still open. I don't see that a new table was opened for the main content (under your copy section), but I don't think all the code is copied. (I say "you"--but it's Dreamweaver, because you don't write your own code, right?)

Is there any way to not use a table for your layout? Can you get the same effects with the style sheet? (Better from an accessibility stand point.) Dreamweaver may automatically default to using tables as layout; I'm not sure about that.

• Gold Top Dog

FrisbyPI

Is there any way to not use a table for your layout? Can you get the same effects with the style sheet? (Better from an accessibility stand point.) Dreamweaver may automatically default to using tables as layout; I'm not sure about that.

CS5 actually no longer lets you insert tables in design view so I am told.  I'll test it on my work computer tomorrow, this one is CS4.  If you know HTML you can add them in code view of course, but tables technically should no longer be used in this fashion.  They are for "data" (which would be populated dynamically or from some other source).

I like to cheat with CSS whenever possible.  You know that saying, "there is nothing new under the sun"?  There are a few sites that offer hundreds of free CSS templates.  I am not super creative and have a hard time visualizing something from scratch, so most of the time I pick a free template that resembles the layout I'm going for and then go into the CSS code and adjust sizes, colors, images, etc.  It's so much faster for me, gives me a chance to learn more CSS (because I learn a lot faster this way than having to study up on it and go from scratch), and most of the templates provided have already been validated.

• Gold Top Dog

FrisbyPI

Have you uploaded all the pages you're linking to within the site?

No, not yet. I wanted to get one page complete, then use that as a template to plug in all the other pages. 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think all this is over my head. Sad 

I'm using CS3.

Liesje
    I like to cheat with CSS whenever possible.  You know that saying, "there is nothing new under the sun"?  There are a few sites that offer hundreds of free CSS templates.  I am not super creative and have a hard time visualizing something from scratch, so most of the time I pick a free template that resembles the layout I'm going for and then go into the CSS code and adjust sizes, colors, images, etc.  It's so much faster for me, gives me a chance to learn more CSS (because I learn a lot faster this way than having to study up on it and go from scratch), and most of the templates provided have already been validated.

I may have to find something like this.

• Gold Top Dog

I use these the most, and often check for new ones.  On my computer I download and save any template I might like to use later on.

http://www.free-css.com/free-css-templates/page1.php

http://www.freecsstemplates.org/css-templates/

Generally you have to keep an external link since that's a major factor in search engine optimization, but I usually add a "subfooter" that makes the link invisible b/c it's the same color as the page.
    • Gold Top Dog

Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

The site I designed, that I'm now RE-designing, is http://www.tlc-dogtraining.com

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

CS5 actually no longer lets you insert tables in design view so I am told.  I'll test it on my work computer tomorrow, this one is CS4.  If you know HTML you can add them in code view of course, but tables technically should no longer be used in this fashion.  They are for "data" (which would be populated dynamically or from some other source).

You're exactly right--tables are for data not for layout :-) They can be a real nightmare for people who use screenreader software (e.g. people who are blind). 

Liesje
    There are a few sites that offer hundreds of free CSS templates. 

Yes, I like using those resources, too. It is a good way to see how people have used the style sheet to create the visual layout--a great starting point!

• Gold Top Dog

FrisbyPI

You're exactly right--tables are for data not for layout :-) They can be a real nightmare for people who use screenreader software (e.g. people who are blind).

Oy.

I need a Beer