Question For Non-Geek Webmasters Only

• Gold Top Dog

Question For Non-Geek Webmasters Only

If you have a web site, what software did you use to design it, and why do you like (or not like) it?  I hate my program, and want to use something else.  So, Dreamweaver, Front Page, Web Easy (the one I have and do not like), or what????? I can do simple things, but am not really that savvy with HTML...I prefer a do-it-yourself software with good tech support (preferably from people who speak American English - I don't want to have to strain to understand someone at midnight when I'm already tired from my two jobs lol).

• Gold Top Dog

I've used front page and hated it. Now I use Dreamweaver. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use.

• Gold Top Dog

Dreamweaver, have been using it for years.  I also use Mozilla Sea Monkey sometimes b/c it's free, and ironically renders some of my CSS better than Dreamweaver!  I also run my XHTML and CSS through a validator (http://validator.w3.org/) because Dreamweaver will allow things that don't actually pass validation.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I use Dreamweaver and it is intuitive but still has a learning curve and can get fiddly at times IM non-techy O

DH just made a nice looking site with this http://www.wix.com/

he has no real website training and he did a nice job with this in a short period of time

• Gold Top Dog

I learned both dreamweaver and frontpage back many years ago. Honestly, the only reason I did not learn dreamweaver better, was because I accidently booked on a mac instead of a pc for the class. I wasn't fluent with mac use at that time, so I struggled to keep up. Everything about dreamweaver was better. I had some knowledge of html, certainly no expert. I haven't done any web work in years though, so my review is clearly not as good as those who are doing it.

• Gold Top Dog

Anne if you want to get really do-it-yourself, focus on learning and using CSS and not on HTML.  I am one that learns by trial and error.  I've been learning CSS by using free templates (which already pass validation) and then modifying them to meet my needs.  The more I practice, the more I can manipulate, or start writing the code myself.  There are several sites that have hundreds of decent free CSS templates available.

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

I've been learning CSS by using free templates (which already pass validation) and then modifying them to meet my needs.  The more I practice, the more I can manipulate, or start writing the code myself. 

That is exactly how I learned too.

• Bronze

very important info for me!

• Bronze

I can relate to your struggle with finding the right software for web design. When I first started, I was overwhelmed by the options and their varying degrees of complexity. It's like editing real estate photos with HDR – the right tools make all the difference. I once switched from a basic editor to a more advanced one, and the improvement in my website's aesthetics was remarkable www.simpleshowing.com/.../hdr-editing-for-real-estate-photography It’s amazing how both web design and HDR photography require precision and the right software to truly shine.