Charlie ate saran wrap!! (mrstjohnson)

• Gold Top Dog

Charlie ate saran wrap!! (mrstjohnson)

Please no flaming about watching him when we walk and his ability to "leave it" which we are constantly working on....

We were out on our walk tonight (after dark) and was talking with the neighbor.  Charlie was sniffing around as usual...then he lunged at something.  That's when I realized he had gotten a hold of a sandwich wrapped in saran wrap.  I tried to get most of it out but I think he ate about a 3 inch piece.  We don't have a regular vet here yet since the move.  Should we force vomiting?  If so, how much peroxide to give.  He weighs 22 lbs.??

Thanks!!!

• Gold Top Dog

eeek!

Kord ate the clumping cat litter once, this is what I found, I have no idea if you should or not but here goes and GOOD LUCK!

VOMITING, HOW TO INDUCE

Do Not Induce Vomiting If Your Dog:

1. Swallows an acid, alkali, solvent or heavy-duty cleaner;

2. Is severely depressed or comatose;

3. Swallows a petroleum product;

4. Swallows tranquilizers (which prevent vomiting);

5. Swallows sharp objects (which could lodge in the esophagus or perforate the stomach);

6. Or if more than two hours have passed since the poison was swallowed.

Induce Vomiting By Giving:

1. Syrup of ipecac (one teaspoonful per ten pounds body weight);2. Hydrogen peroxide 3% (one to three teaspoonfuls every ten minutes; repeat three times);

3. One half to one teaspoonful of salt, placed at the back of the tongue.

• Gold Top Dog

Coke weighs 60lbs and I had him throw up with three cap fulls of hydrogen peroxide.  He threw up about 2 minutes later.

• Gold Top Dog

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  IT'S OUT!!  YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!  I gave him 2 tsps. about 3 minutes apart and he puked everything up.  I probably could have gotten away with 1 tsp., but I was getting nervous.

I already have chicken boiling and rice cooking to settle his tummy tomorrow.

We have work guys redoing the roof across the street and they must have chucked their 1/2 eaten sandwich on the lawn!  I am so PO'd.  Not just because Charlie got into it (which is my responsibility), but if they are leaving food around we are going to get other critters running around.

Again, thanks so much!

• Gold Top Dog

mrstjohnson
    Should we force vomiting?  If so, how much peroxide to give. 

Frankly, I think he would have passed it just fine.  However, to induce vomiting:

Hydrogen peroxide - 3% solution - 2 tsp per 30 lbs every 15 min - up to 3 times if necessary

ETA:  FYI for everyone, tape the dosage and a children's dosage syringe to a bottle of hydrogen peroxide!  In the case of poison, you often don't have time to look for dosages.

• Gold Top Dog

I tell you, workmen can be the bane of our existence!!  Last month we had a new roof put on, and suddenly I walked around the patio one morning and got this 1" NAIL in my Croc!!    Had I been wearing anything other than Crocs I'd have had one in my foot.  And then David got TWO in his shoe!  When they pulled the felt roofing off that had been on they just let those nails fly apparently.

I WAS FURIOUS.  They went over the yard a couple of times with a big magnet but man, they had one REALLY MAD DOG MOM on their hands.  I was livid that they put the dogs so at risk ... grrrrrrrr

Same thing with this -- pitching a sandwich?  Have they never heard of a trash can?  Yes, the dog could have choked on the plastic and it could have called all sorts of other critters.  yuck  HOLLER at them!!

• Gold Top Dog

janet_rose

mrstjohnson
    Should we force vomiting?  If so, how much peroxide to give. 

Frankly, I think he would pass it just fine. 

Glad you got it out!

Yah, on Thanksgiving Day Apollo ate a pretty good sized ball of saran wrap Tongue Tied
    My Grandma was tossing it in the trash, and just like a Great White Shark leaps out of the water (lol, he really looked likte that!) Apollo dove across the room to get the saran wrap! I called the vet ER and they said to watch and make sure it passes by the next day or so, if not bring him in. It passed....Embarrassed

• Gold Top Dog

Oh I am glad that it came out, give him extra cuddles from me & the furbabies sure he doesn't feel too great now poor guy no one likes throwing up.

• Gold Top Dog

Is so good it came out! Give some kisses to Charlie and I hope he doesn't find anything else from the workmen!

• Gold Top Dog

You are very lucky and I am truly thankful for that.  Your quick thinking did the trick.  Plastic in the digestive track can adhere to the tissues and result in death.  Getting it out prior to it reaching the intestines is critical.  I would get a vet check to make sure all is well.  It was a sad lesson for my friend to learn.  Keep all plastic out of dog's reach.

• Gold Top Dog

Tell Mr. Charlie that Ari says exploratory abdominal surgery is NOT fun.  I'm really glad he threw it up and you can rest easy now.  As someone with a dog who will eat everything and anything - I would NEVER flame b/c you missed a plastic baggie.  We all do the best we can, and we're human - and definitively not perfect.  You simply cannot see everything all of the time!  It would be so much easier if littering wasn't such a widespread problem.  By the time I come home from our walks, my pockets are full of bits of plastic, cigarette butts, bottle caps - etc etc

• Gold Top Dog

the_gopher
    By the time I come home from our walks, my pockets are full of bits of plastic, cigarette butts, bottle caps - etc etc

I hear ya!!  Before we moved I used to have to walk him on a fairly busy street.  I have seen and picked up it all (I used to bring 3 bags with me all the time).  Everything from chicken wings to straws, condoms, etc.  When we moved it was great.  We live in a ranch-style condo complex with the majority of seniors so it is kept very very clean, one of the reasons I let my guard down last night.  DH is home today and going to chew them out this morning about it.  I already put a call into the company and told them that we are going to charge them for the vet visit.  This is so gross, but when it came back up it was practically whole (ham and cheese sub) and still in the wrapper!!!  Not only does it tell me that Charlie doesn't chew, but someone chucked a practically whole sub out on the lawn!!!  What pig does that!

• Gold Top Dog

My old dog did exactly the same stuff, he would always find something to eat, so I always had a "throw up paste" and got used to carry it around all the time. I forgot the name of it, but you could always ask Charlie's vet about it.

I'm so happy I don't have such problems with Totti, it can be really frustrating...  

• Gold Top Dog

I'm so glad Charlie is okay!  And, I'm glad you called the company to complain.

One of the stipulations of the contract when we bought our house was that they replace some siding, and apparently when the workers were done painting over the new siding, they thought it would be a-okay to just dump the excess paint down our water drainage lines.  2 months into owning our first house, and we had a toilet back up, water all over our downstairs floors, emergency plumbing bill, had to call the county to investigate (because the blockage was under the street in their territory), and they are the ones who discovered the clogged paint.  Resulted in a beautiful cherry tree having to be removed from our front yard (roots growing into the draining lines that the paint collected around), a grass-less front lawn from that, new sod, and carpet cleaning bills.  All because some lazy SOBs decided to dump paint (sooooo not cool!!!)

• Gold Top Dog

I'm sooooooooo glad that Charlie got rid of that nastiness in his belly.  Feel better, cute boy!!

I'm joining the "I hate contractors" fan club.  I'm STILL finding old roofing nails from a re-roof we had done about 5 years ago, siding nails from a re-siding we had done last summer & I'm still embarrassed by the contractors that built our garage.  I felt like I had to go to each & every neighbor with brownies on a plate & apologize for their language & behavior.