good apartment dogs?

• Gold Top Dog

Luke (90 lb Lab/Shepherd) and I lived in a one-bedroom apartment for four years without a problem -- Kaiser was added to the mix for the last four months before I bought my house.  I had no problem having such a large dog in a small apartment, but you can bet I exercised his butt off outdoors multiple times a day.

He knew that barking was NOT allowed indoors and did very well with this rule.  For some reason he thinks it's fine to bark in the house now....

In general, though, it is probably safer to go with a small dog for apartment living for the many reasons stated here.  Landlords are prone to believe that small dogs will do less damage, even if the opposite tends to be true more often than not...

• Gold Top Dog

Just because Greys are good generally house dogs doesn't mean they are perfect aprtament dogs. Sighthounds love to run, off leash. A Grey can get exercise on lead with walks or jogging but that certainly isn't what they love. I would suggest a Grey for an aprtament or any other owner only if the dog would have regular access to running "loose" at least a few times a week. That said, most breeds can do well in an aprtament with a dedicated owner.

• Gold Top Dog

Just because apartments have size limits has nothing do with what kind of dog will do good, they just figure the smaller the less damage they can make and the quieter their barking would be.  Although some people find some breeds more docile.  It really is more about training and specific dog personalities.  I know Swissy owners who live in apartments with no problems.  However, River would bark the skin off a rabbit if he heard so much goings on around him - he is not use to all that activity.  If your looking for a rescue I would be really clear with how this dog has to act - no SA etc.  Good luck.

• Gold Top Dog

If I had to pick just one? Pugs....hands down. Like to see anyone naysay that one LOL. Wonderful little breed.....made for snuggling, moderate-low exercise, quiet, compact & sturdy. They shed like the dickens but honestly...nothing a good vacuum can't handle! Rescue one or find a good breeder Smile

• Gold Top Dog

I second the Pug. I love them! They're GREAT little dogs!

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you! you all are so amazingly helpful and I will keep all of this in mind.

• Gold Top Dog

I understand it is not all about breed and is more about training. My dog was perfect in my first apartment.... just slept all day. When I moved to this place ( where i was forced to give him to my parents because I was threatened to be kicked out), he was just  so different. They were not alowing me the time to train in the new situation. Also, exercise is never an issue with me. Anytime I am not working i'm outside walking, at the dog park, or even just sitting out in the sun to get fresh air!

• Gold Top Dog

Pugs, I'll agree on. Utterly fantastic little dogs. I'd have one, in a heartbeat.

• Gold Top Dog
    basenji's are small and have the northern spitz look which i personally love. they're also known for being a barkless dog. i think they're energetic though so probably lots of exercise is a must.
    • Gold Top Dog

TysonSS
    they're also known for being a barkless dog.

They don't bark - but they do a yodel type thing, which is NOT plesant to listen to! They are extremely energetic as well, for the most part. They would not be my #1 pick by any means.

Pugs are great -if you can stand the breathing (which I cannot!!)

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

TysonSS
    they're also known for being a barkless dog.

They don't bark - but they do a yodel type thing, which is NOT plesant to listen to! They are extremely energetic as well, for the most part. They would not be my #1 pick by any means.

ITA. Basenjis are a rather difficult breed and while I know people who have them love them, they are really not the best sort of dogs for someone just wanted a "good pet". They not only yodel, they scream - loud enough to be heard for quite some distance. They also have a tendency towards being destructive and many do not do well with being confined. I have known multiples who could not be crated and would injure themselves getting out of whatever crate they were put into but were extremely destructive when left loose - very difficult situation for an owner to be in. Top that off with a breed who still has a very primitive and independent temperament and you have a dog who is at the very least, a handful for most pet owners.

• Gold Top Dog

I do understand about the time and training, I just generally recommend breeds to people I haven't extensively talked to that require little to moderate exercise :)  Too many years spent grooming other people's dogs that were beyond neurotic Sad as they weren't well trained or exercised!  Plus too many sad stories about people giving up their dog due to weight/size restrictions in apartments (thanks Callie for pointing this out).  I've known plenty of people who have done well with larger dogs, that require more exercise, living in apartments - but I found them not to be the norm (but on this forum, I would suspect it WOULD be the norm, given the type of people this site generally attracts!).

• Gold Top Dog

I would avoid any breed that is known to be barky- like most hounds, terriers, Shelties, Great Pyrenees, etc. I googled "best dogs for apartment" and found the link below; it just has a few suggestions:

http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-best-apartment-dogs.html

I also would add Whippet, Italian Greyhound, Greyhound, Great Dane, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Cocker Spaniel and Mini Schnauzer.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    If I had to pick just one? Pugs....hands down. Like to see anyone naysay that one LOL. Wonderful little breed.....made for snuggling, moderate-low exercise, quiet, compact & sturdy. They shed like the dickens but honestly...nothing a good vacuum can't handle! Rescue one or find a good breeder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a pug!!  

I have one!  Yes, they are sweet little dogs but EXTREMELY needy -- do **NOT** do well alone.  They are mega mega social -- they either need another pug, another dog OR a human with them ALL the time.

Now Tink does really well in my pack -- she's fine crated (as are the others) during the day but she would SOOO **NOT** be a happy camper alone.  This is why so many people who have A pug wind up with two ... and most pug rescues (at least Florida ones) won't even consider placing a pug in a situation where *no one* is home 24/7.  There are Florida pug rescues who just plain won't even consider placing a pug where someone 'works'.  (i.e., not even dog company is considered *enough*.

I love my pug to pieces -- but not a dog good at being alone.   And they are also *not* quiet.  YOu have to really work with them for them not to be barky (and that was one of the things I was cautioned about before we got her.  

Shedding?  Oh yeah -- like I've never seen, but that's not an 'apartment' thing.  That's a neat-freak thing *grin*.  

Pugs are also puppies for EVER -- years, in fact.  They are quite hard to housetrain because of that -- so you don't get a puppy (or even a young pug) and expect them to housetrain quickly.  They just don't mature mentally enough to get beyond "PLAY NOW" to "oh yeah - I gotta go before I go in!"   

I've even seen Tink go out after I get home -- she'll poop (which is usually her 'first' concern) and FORGET to pee -- and she'll get so excited about coming in to EAT that she will literally forget to go in the excitement of the moment.  Not typically a year old dog thing .. but it IS for a pug.  Like bichons  they stay puppies for a LONG time and patient training takes a long, long LONG time.

IAgain -- not an easy dog for an apartment dog for a lot of reasons.  An older (as in 6-8) one who is USED to being alone?  Yes -- but not a young dog and NOT A PUPPY.

• Gold Top Dog

What about a papillon? Are they barky?