good apartment dogs?

• Gold Top Dog

I have to say it, Neo mastiff do well in apartments. I know this for a fact but I also read about it somewhere.

In Venezuela we lived in a building with 58 apartments and in the "condominium reunions" everybody agreed that Thor was the less problematic dog. I even got some reference letters from my neighbours to bring them to Canada, in case we needed. Low energy dogs are a good trait to choose and, of course, training, exercise and love are the key for success. Even here in Canada our landlord can't wait to call Thor everytime he is here ~lol~

After that, I would say a maltese will do great in an apartment.

Good luck!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know, I still think Pugs would be an option if they wanted one. Apartment living doesn't mean the owner would be gone any longer than a person living in a house. And I think most of us agree that leaving a dog for the day unattended in the yard is a bad idea. So being in a house or apartment is pretty much the same for small dogs. Plenty of people have breeds like Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, French Bulldogs and other dogs that need lots of attention and manage to work full time. They could always get another, a dog walker, doggie daycare, etc. Everything I've read says that Pugs are good for apartment life.

• Gold Top Dog

Papillons are probably not the top contender for an apartment dog, but it can work and we do it really well here.  Paps though are pretty barky at times, depending on the individual and they can be high energy.  They don't need so much exercise as a big dog but they need just as much time put into them.  They're brilliant and very clingy and typically mid to higher energy for a little dog.  So you end up with a dog that never wants to be alone, makes up his own ways to entertain himself when he's bored, and needs a fair amount of exercise.

But I love my dog.  She has separation anxiety though and is yappy.  In a house it doesn't matter so much, but it worries me in an apartment sometimes.  We're working on that, but I am going to get her another dog.  She does a lot better with another dog in the house.  (I think I'm going to break the rules and end up with another 'barky' breed)   Even my barky dog isn't too loud or too barky all the time.  She barks for a minute after I leave and then when I get home. 

I definitely agree if you're renting to stick with non banned or restricted breeds for now.  I'd love another GSD, but unfortunately you just cannot rent with them here.  So I'd stay away from pit bulls, dobes, rotts, GSDs, mastiffs, etc.  I can find places to rent with dogs up to 65 lbs.  Actually, I can find apartments for any size, but there's only one.  A few allow up to 65 lbs.  If you want to play it safe, though, the cut off is 35 lbs for most places.  That is something I'm having to face.  My heart wants a bigger dog, but my midn keeps reminding myself I'm not settled down and I am going to be moving again in the next year or so.  A small dog under 35 lbs is a lot easier to rent with than a large dog.

• Gold Top Dog

Callie...I have spoken with numerous breeders, as I seriously considered the breed.

None of them really raised this as a concern...ANY dog likes to be around it's people...and ANY dog would prefer than to being alone...even a sighthound deep down Wink

Add in that the Pug is small and portable and extremely cute many folks can MAKE just about any dog into one that cannot "take" being alone or heck, walking on it's own feet! That doesn't point to an overall temperament tendency IMO. ALL Toy breeds are clannish to one extent or another, IMO. That does not mean they "cannot be alone"...it is how you raise, what your expectations are, and where you get your dog from.

And older Pug from rescue might be very willing indeed to have some peace and quiet thruout the day...a small puppy of ANY breed is not a good choice for being left alone large parts of the day.

Callie your girl's issues with barking or clingyness could really be from the really really REALLY tough start she had before finding you.. I have been around the breed at shows and if any dog is going to bark it's at a show...and the Pugs are typically..ASLEEP. LMBO.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a pug!!  

I have one!  Yes, they are sweet little dogs but EXTREMELY needy -- do **NOT** do well alone.  They are mega mega social -- they either need another pug, another dog OR a human with them ALL the time.

I have known quite a few "apartment pugs" that did well, even as only dogs. I know a lot of needy dogs (a couple of mine own being included) that have no issues being left alone while people work.

calliecritturs
    Now Tink does really well in my pack -- she's fine crated (as are the others) during the day but she would SOOO **NOT** be a happy camper alone.  This is why so many people who have A pug wind up with two ... and most pug rescues (at least Florida ones) won't even consider placing a pug in a situation where *no one* is home 24/7.  There are Florida pug rescues who just plain won't even consider placing a pug where someone 'works'.  (i.e., not even dog company is considered *enough*.

Who would place a dog with no one is home 24/7? Who would want a dog if they are literally gone all day, everyday?

As far as the pug rescues in FL not placing dogs with people who work, I'm afraid all that "proves" is that there are a lot of unreasonable rescue people out there.

No dog is "easy", living in an apartment or elsewhere. I doubt you'd ever suggest that anyone get a puppy, since you have often said how much you really, really dislike puppies and puppy raising. If being overly "needy" or having separation issues is a potential problem, starting with the dog as a puppy you can help condition them to be comfortable being left alone. Having people around nearly all the time with the dog from the time the dog comes into the home will promote separation issues though. Unless of course, the people really put in the effort to make sure the dog learn to be comfortable with being left alone. Housetraining problems are common in all toy breeds and certainly are something to think about before getting a toy.

I did a bit of research and really haven't found much of anything which says Pugs are a bad for owners in apartments (actually quite the opposite - they are on most lists of "good breeds for apartments" or "most popular apartment dogs";) or can't ever be left alone. Just the typical stuff that rescues won't place a puppy with someone who works long hours, due to it being unfair to ask a puppy to "hold it" too long. Although, litterbox training a small apartment dog is an often overlooked option: http://www.pug-dog-secrets.com/litter_training.htm 

I did a bit of research and really haven't found much of anything which says Pugs are a bad for owners in apartments (actually quite the opposite - they are on most lists of "good breeds for apartments" or "most popular aprtament dogs";) or can't ever be left alone. Just the typical stuff that rescues won't place a puppy with someone who works long hours, due to it being unfair to ask a puppy to "hold it" too long. Although, litterbox training a small apartment dog is an often overlooked option: http://www.pug-dog-secrets.com/litter_training.htm 

"I live in a condo or apartment, so I am unable to install a doggie door. Does this mean that I will be unable to adopt?

No, we have placed many Pugs in condos and apartments.  It depends on several things: the number of hours the Pug would be alone, the age of the Pug (usually older Pugs do just fine in an apartment), and the history of that Pug.  We are less likely to place a Pug in an apartment if the applicant works long hours, or the Pug is young (a little Pug bladder can only hold it for so long)." http://www.rescuepugs.com/faqs.htm#I

"This lovable breed is always well-groomed and ready for the show ring. He is small but requires no coddling and his face soon wiggles its way into even the toughest hearts. Pugs are pleaser's and love to do about anything with their humans. The Pug adapts very well to an apartment, a mansion, and all loving homes in between." http://www.midatlanticpugrescue.org/puginfo.html

"Since Pugs are indoor dogs, the yard is not a necessity. Many people find that Pugs are excellent apartment/condo dogs. As long as they are taken for walks several times a day, they do very well. If you do have a home with a yard, make sure the yard is dog-proof." http://www.pughearts.com/learn.aspx

"Although they are great for small apartments, Pugs do need some exercise so plan on a daily walk for your pet. In addition, you will need to brush your pug as well as clean the folds of his skin, brush his teeth and clip his nails." http://www.pugfactsguide.com/pug-history

• Gold Top Dog

I dont' agree in leaving a dog home alone allllll day either. That is not my issue, sure somedays I will work a full 8 hour day, but nothing more then that, and my boyfriend and I work staggared shifts (so i leave early and he's still home for a while, then I get home by 3pm and he gets home later) So the dog would never really be home alone for long.

Im seeing a trend in all these posts that is basically just depends on the INDIVIDUAL dog and individual situation when it comes down to it. I guess I will jsut have to see what kind of pups i come across and if we will be a good match for each other. I sure will be getting doggy day care days and someone to come let out during lunch time if i know i won't be home for a little while longer.

I just proposed this question to see if there was a real factual answer, but we all can see that there just isn't, and its all conditional and circumstantial. My whole situation and what happened to me here at this condo complex has just made such an impression on me and put such a bad taste in my mouth I am just afraid to adopt again in an apartment. But this has NOTHING to do with my willingness to train, willingness to exercise, and lack of being home.. just the fact that some people just aren't understanding and living in an apartment setting WE are the minority with a dog, and sometimes have to walk on egg shells with neighbors that don't, and dont' like it.

But I appreciate everyones input and know a little better what to look for now

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD
    Who would place a dog with no one is home 24/7? Who would want a dog if they are literally gone all day, everyday?

That's literally turned what I said inside out -- my point is that they WON'T place a pug in a home where some family member is not at home round the clock -- i.e., if the wife works days the husband has to work nights, or one spouse doesn't work out of the home.  Not that no one was ever home.  c'mon please.

I also didn't say pugs never did well in apartments -- I said they CAN be barky, I said they CAN be clingy and mega social.  I said they DO stay puppies for a long time -- mostly meaning I wouldn't recommend a puppy first of all (of ANY breed, but particularly not a pug or a breed that is difficult to housetrain -- and pugs are pretty well known to be that). 

AgileGSD
    the age of the Pug (usually older Pugs do just fine in an apartment), and the history of that Pug.  We are less likely to place a Pug in an apartment if the applicant works long hours, or the Pug is young (a little Pug bladder can only hold it for so long)."

That IS my point -- let's not take this all out of context here.  I did say SPECIFICALLY an older pug might be fine and the INDIVIDUAL would be important.

My problem is with the flat statement that a pug puppy would be great or that pugs are great apartment dogs.  You seem to have turned this into some sort of an argument -- and that's not productive.  David and I have worked with at least two pug rescues several states apart over the course of 3 years so I wouldn't say our experience is isolated. 

ONe of the big reasons there are so many pugs IN RESCUE is, quite simply, because people adopt them because they thot "Frank" in Men in Black or the pug in Milo and Otis was cute.  There are a lot of groups out there trying to promote a LOT of breeds and then people get them on a whim without any realistic idea of what to expect.  

Some of you may remember a situation I was involved in about 4 months ago -- people thought they had "read all the websites" and they took a pug puppy with completely the wrong understanding.  She read a lot of stuff, and a lot of glowing reports about how great they were in apartments, but she didn't apparently find much that was at all realistic.  They were looking for a dog that didn't bark, didn't shed, and that would be perfect for a 2 year old as a playmate. 

One of the pug rescues in town and I have worked for months with these people and it's a good thing.  It's a pug still IN that home -- but they did a lot of things they didn't plan on (someone HAS stayed at home with the dog to supervise the dog & child, they HAVE gotten obedience training, but the barking and shedding is still a problem).  

Folks -- let's be on the o.p's side here -- she's in a transitional period of life, and her life may change greatly in the next few years.   She's looking for the dog who will be EASY in an apartment.  She's already had to re-home a dog because of a problem and it broke her heart -- this should not be any sort of argument about 'breed' -- it should be constructive suggestions on what to look for or what to avoid.

It's not about what THIS apartment will allow.  But what dog will make it generally easier or will be acceptable in MOST places that allow pets.  They may move.  And obviously training is an ongong thing.

What are the things that cause dogs to be unacceptable in an apartment?

1.  Size (and that is probably across the board the BIGGEST "rule" you will find out there -- **SOME** places may accept bigger dogs but if you have a bigger dog you automatically decrease your list of places you *can* rent.  

Let's be realistic here -- if you decrease your pool of 'where' you can rent, you make everything in life more complex -- how far you may have to drive to/from work, how much you may have to pay, what sort of neighborhood you live in, and even the availability of a place TO exercise the dog.

2.  Behavior -- things like barking, house-broken, and destructiveness -- to a degree some of this is breed.  And honestly I think we need to help her know potential pitfalls.  Is EVERY beagle apartment un-friendly?  No -- but a lot of them are.  So whatever breed(s) she's looking for she needs to know when to be wary.  

I did NOT say pugs are bad dogs (I LOVE my pug -- but she is a freaking handful in spades and I'm glad I'm not a novice dog-owner.  I have never in my life had a dog quite so social who needs somebuddy to play, play, play ALL the time!  MUCH of that is her age -- as pugs age they can become real couch potatos -- see AGE = big deal!!!  Individual dog = big deal!!!)

REALISM -- my very first dog was not fully house-trained.  I'm fortunate that I wasn't in a carpeted apartment or I flatly would have been in big trouble.  Prissy was only 6 months old when I took her off the street, and she'd already had a litter -- but she had been abused and as far as she was concerned you had to hide to eliminate. 

THAT doesn't make it easy on an apartment-dweller.  I would *never* recommend a puppy of *any* variety to someone in an apartment who didn't have several weeks of being mostly at home (or who between them and a s.o. be able to make sure the puppy wasn't left longer than a couple of hours in order TO housetrain it).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are different 'tiers' of information here -- honestly I think AGE and SIZE are far more critical than breed.  The *individual* dog is also far more important than any specific breed tendency.  But if we're trying to give this lady some constructive help on what to look for let's not give her a bunch of glittering generalities about any one breed that may prove to be less than reliable.

• Gold Top Dog

mydog4ever
    Im seeing a trend in all these posts that is basically just depends on the INDIVIDUAL dog and individual situation when it comes down to it. I guess I will jsut have to see what kind of pups i come across and if we will be a good match for each other.

You've got it Wink

I wish you the best of luck in your search - the perfect doggy is waiting for you, it might just take a little time to find him. But when you do- you'll know, and you'll never look back.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

mydog4ever
    Im seeing a trend in all these posts that is basically just depends on the INDIVIDUAL dog and individual situation when it comes down to it. I guess I will jsut have to see what kind of pups i come across and if we will be a good match for each other.

You've got it Wink

I wish you the best of luck in your search - the perfect doggy is waiting for you, it might just take a little time to find him. But when you do- you'll know, and you'll never look back.

Erica is EXACTLY right -- being saavy about breeds is a good thing, that's why I recommended the ASPCA book -- that way if you find a dog you *think* might be good for you, then sometimes even working backwards ("Hmm, this looks like it might be a cross of an A and a D breeds ... let's see ... A is _____________ and B is ____________ so I guess I need to ASK about this and this ..." -- in other words then you can investigate the characteristics of that breed and see if it's a plus or a minus and how predominant it might be in THIS dog ...."

and part of the "perfect doggy" isn't that there's no training or that it never presents challenges ... part of the "perfect" part is often that dog will be what you NEED, and in your commitment to that dog it winds up making you a better person.

I've had people think I was completely crazed because I let the commitment to ONE dog interfere with a job ... or the place I wanted to live, or 100 other "important things".  But that job?  I was so much better off ultimately with*OUT* it -- the place I wanted to live?  I wound up doing something better ultimately - it can be wonderful where it all leads.

• Gold Top Dog

See, to me, breed needs to be considered first--as in, Is this a typically banned breed? 

In my experience there are more apartments that are concerned about breed than size, and even with landlords that are iffy on larger dogs, you are a whole hell of a lot more likely to be able to rent with a 60 lb lab than a 60 lb pit bull--even if both dogs are CGC, equally friendly, etc.

Sure, size does cut down on the number of places you have to choose from, but not like breed does.  In fact there are many apartments in our area that use the fact that they will accept large dogs as a selling point.  However, quess which breeds these aparents will *not* take.....

• Gold Top Dog

And see here, things may be a bit more outwardly "politically correct" -- but you can't get almost ANY dog in anywhere (apartments, motels, etc.) if it is over 30 pounds.  Because that's the best excuse anyone knows here -- because oh gee, doesn't everyone KNOW that ALL the "dangerous breeds" (black labs, pits, boxers, shepherds of all varieties, dobies, mastiffs, bulldogs, etc. ad nauseum) are ALL over 30 pounds??  Altho in a lot of the retirement areas they just plain drop that to 20 pounds.  See that way they don't have to deal with mixes or anything -- just avoid ALL of them!

*HUGE SIGH*

It may well be a further abberation from the Southern all-dogs-belong-outside syndrome (because the only ones who ever GET in side in many places are the small less-hardy looking dogs).  It has no root in true reality -- but I don't know of any apartment complex, at least in the Orlando area, that does allow dogs that does *not* have a serious weight restriction.   

rwbeagles
    And older Pug from rescue might be very willing indeed to have some peace and quiet thruout the day...a small puppy of ANY breed is not a good choice for being left alone large parts of the day.

I didn't say an older pug might not be a good choice -- my point is that ALL pugs may not be just because someone read "pugs are good in apartments" and that a *puppy* of ANY variety/breed is just not a good choice for someone who will be gone long hours.  Mostly I was reacting to the comment to "find a breeder" -- because no, please not a puppy.

rwbeagles
    Callie your girl's issues with barking or clingyness could really be from the really really REALLY tough start she had before finding you..

Tink doesn't bark -- we've trained her not to -- but it's taken a lot of time and training - they generally come pretty pre-disposed TO being barky. Frankly, was cautioned to me by several of the folks I know who do pug rescue.  It's part of the standard "are you SURE you want a pug" speech they give! 

And yes, Tink likes to be "with" (whether with David and I or the other dogs - just likes bein *with*) but I'm not going to say she has "issues" because there is *no* separation anxiety.  But she would be far less than happy "alone" because as is typical of pugs, she likes being part of a "pile" or a "bunch".  She wasn't socialized as a pup -- and this hasn't taken training ... she just plain has a really social nature. Humans are nearly optional ... if you've got a dog buddy to hang with!! RAH!

I guess I've worked in rescue too many years -- I just hate to hear someone say "Oh __________ are good in apartments".  I don't like to see any breed put in that blank.  It's the individual dogs, the age/maturity of it, and the individual people, and their situation.  SOME breeds, true -- are genetically pre-determined by many many years of breeding for a purpose are less apt to be appropriate.

The point I'm trying to make, and it keeps getting lost here --

This truly SHOULD NOT be about what dog the o.p. could get away with *now* in the place she lives in NOW ... but if she is going to remain in an apartment for several years, then it should be about helping her figure out the rules she may need to comply with in order to successfully live in an apartment *anywhere*. 

Had I been less adamant and determined I would have lost Prissy more than once because it was really tough to find a place to live that I could afford, and was safe, AND that would take her.  She and I moved ... gosh 11 or 12 times at least in 20 years.  Small city to large urban area, to suburbia to country and from north to south.  Renting in houses and apartments and trailers and 'rooms'.

MANY MANY times I blessed the fact that she was under 20 pounds, didn't bark, was good around other dogs, cats, children, and even birds. 

I have to give the o.p. HUGE cudos that she's trying to figure out those common elements so she can avoid ever having to go thru the pain of having to give up an animal.  If only all adopters were that determined.

• Gold Top Dog

calliecritturs

And see here, things may be a bit more outwardly "politically correct" -- but you can't get almost ANY dog in anywhere (apartments, motels, etc.) if it is over 30 pounds.  Because that's the best excuse anyone knows here -- because oh gee, doesn't everyone KNOW that ALL the "dangerous breeds" (black labs, pits, boxers, shepherds of all varieties, dobies, mastiffs, bulldogs, etc. ad nauseum) are ALL over 30 pounds??  Altho in a lot of the retirement areas they just plain drop that to 20 pounds.  See that way they don't have to deal with mixes or anything -- just avoid ALL of them!

Not in this area.  There are a number of apartment complexes that welcome *large* dogs, but will openly tell you that they do not allow certain breeds.  I've never contacted an apartment or landlord that has been shy about breed limits.  Ever.  Actually, around here it is harder to find a trainer park that will take a lab than an apartment.....

The fact is, that as long as you don't have a "restricted" breed, or a dog that is 100+ lbs, you can find a place to live if you look.  Is it going to be as easy as having a cat or yorkie?  No, but it's definitely doable.

I do get what you are saying.  It's just that for me personally, I would rather go through a bit of extra effort to get a dog that fit my lifestyle but happened to be over 30 lbs....

• Gold Top Dog

sillysally
    The fact is, that as long as you don't have a "restricted" breed, or a dog that is 100+ lbs, you can find a place to live if you look.  Is it going to be as easy as having a cat or yorkie?  No, but it's definitely doable.

Yup - I contacted an apartment for one of my pups today - weight limit was 75lbs. I'm finding more and more complexes that are being more flexible, they are starting to realize there are MANY people out there that just wont give up a pet, they'll find someplace else to live. Many of the complexes I talk to (and I talk to a lot!) have much larger weight limits than they used to have. Even breed restrictions are not as strict as they used to be, I'm finding. at least in my area.

I got lucky with Casey - he's small. I'm a 'big dog' person....honestly. but - I agree 100% with -

sillysally
      It's just that for me personally, I would rather go through a bit of extra effort to get a dog that fit my lifestyle but happened to be over 30 lbs....
    • Gold Top Dog

When we were apartment shopping, I found the higher end the place (like nicer townhouse communities), the tighter the restrictions both on breed and size.  Looking at 2BR, 1/1.5bath lower end apartments it seemed they either allowed dogs or they didn't.  Ours didn't, and we ultimately moved b/c we wanted to get dogs.  The property manager said he did not care, but it wasn't up to him.  We looked at a lot of duplexes and in my experience, the landlords who say "no pets" are often willing to negotiate.  I live in a "no pets" place right now and I have 3 cats and 3 large dogs.  Luckily my landlords have a GSD mix themselves so they like my dogs, maybe they think it keeps the property more safe.

• Gold Top Dog

I think it depends on area.  You CANNOT find an apartment to rent with a pit bull or GSD here period.  I've looked and looked, it's just not possible.  If you want over 35 lbs, you're stuck here in either a one or two bedroom place and it's usually much more expensive or really really crappy and a long ways away from the town.  There are only 2 complexes in the whole town that allow large dogs- one goes up to 65 lbs, the other has no limits.  Both have a long breed ban list.  If you're willing to really limit yourself on apartment, then more power to you. But you do need to be very aware of the trends in your area and not rely on someone online to tell you a certain size is okay because in my experience it's often not.  

Go shop pet policies and get a feel for what is an isn't acceptable where you live.  I feel it's very important not just for your current place but also in case you have to move.  For example, if I got a dog over 65 lbs, I could not move anywhere out of my apartment.  If there were any other problems, then I'd be stuck until I left the town.

The bottom line is whenever you get a pet in an apartment, you really limit yourself.  I'm going to do so even further by getting a second.  However, it needs to be a smart decision and there will be a lot more factors going in than if you own the home yourself.

And in my experience breed restrictions have to basically be forced outof them.  I often got the response 'Oh you know, just aggressive breeds.'  Then I'd get the list and be baffled because it wasn't the breeds I'd expect.  I've seen lists with random breeds like keeshonds and bedlingtons restricted from places.