good apartment dogs?

• Gold Top Dog

good apartment dogs?

Does anyone have any suggestions for good breed or types of apartment dogs? Obviously an older dog might tend to sleep more during the day and not bark so much, but what about for the breed? I know people automatically think tiny small dogs, and most places have size restrictions..

Any suggestions will help!

Thank you !!

• Gold Top Dog

Basicly any breed *could* live in an appartment with proper exersize and training.

But, as for breeds - Greyhounds(if there id no restrictions), they sleep a LOT and are basicly lazy dogs.

• Gold Top Dog

Meg is right - Greyhounds make great apartment dogs, if you're looking for someone a bit bigger. Many apartment complexes make exceptions for greys with the weight - because they do well and are not normally barkers.

Any breed can adjust to apartment life, they just need the proper amount of exercise - both physical and mental.

• Gold Top Dog

I personally would not recomend any lab or lab-mix breed - if not exercised enough (properly) they can be somewhat destructive

I found most terrier breeds to be yappy

• Gold Top Dog

Yes my dog that passed was a terrier/shephard mix and apparently he was very winny and barky while we were away. (i know this could of been solved with a second dog but the situation did not work out to well)

I understand that any dog can work and be trained but sometimes if it is winning or barking the people around you dont' care if your training it or not and how much time you need they just want the noise to stop and will complain.

I am just curious as to any suggestions and what to look for when adopting.

Thank you!

• Gold Top Dog

for a small dog - I liked my Malti-Poo (designer name Sad )  mostly quiet but has a shrill bark if needed (will wake the hubby in the night)

• Gold Top Dog

mydog4ever
    (i know this could of been solved with a second dog but the situation did not work out to well)

No, not always. Dogs with SA all react differently - some do NOT do better with the presense of another dog/cat.

Like I said in my reply to your other post - I would look for a smaller rescue group that works out of foster homes. That will give you a better idea about how the dog will do in your home. Be specific, and honest when talking to them. They will help find the dog for you. I would not limit yourself to a specific breed - my dog is a corgi/terrier mix - and he would do great in an apartment. I've met plenty of terriers that would not do well - barking, etc. It really depends on the individual dog.

• Gold Top Dog

I would stay away from retrievers and retriever mixes (that show strong retriever traits).  Most of them without proper excercise can be a downright nightmare (speaks from experience when her own retriever gets shorted on excercise due to weather or what-have-you).  Greyhounds are fantastic apartment dogs from what I've heard and seen from those I have known who had them.  Greyhounds typically become quite the couch potatoes and enjoy creature comforts (think pillows, blankets, sun bathing...).  They are generally quiet and quite affectionate.  Despite their racing background, their exercise needs are not what most people would expect at all. 

Like someone else said, I wouldn't limit yourself to breeds.  I would recommend, like erica said, looking for dogs in foster homes.  Foster homes are excellent because they spend more one on one time with the people, so their foster parents get a very good idea of the dog's personality, excercise needs, barking issues, SA, etc.  

When I was a kid, we had a shepard, chow, and goodness knows what else mixed in there dog who did quite well in the apartment.  He was fairly low key, not a barker and content with a daily walk or two.  My Mom owns a shih tzu in a trailer, but be careful they do require more grooming than other dogs.  My Mom's dog is a bit of a barker, but nothing problematic and she sleeps most of the day away when no ones home.  She is a very demanding critter though, so watch out if you don't give her enough belly rubs Stick out tongue

• Gold Top Dog

I would second the Greyhound suggestion. I help out with a rescue group here in Nashville and they are really a good group of people. I also like toy poodles I have had 2 and they have never been very yappy or whiney. Here is a link to the group I have worked with if you are interestedic. My favorite ones they have right now are Mystical Maden and Slow Dance I met them at the Winter Gathering and they are both just wonderful love bugs.

http://www.gpanashville.org

• Gold Top Dog

I've got three Schnauzers (terriers), and I live in a 1 BR apartment. They are not barky or whiny, in fact they only bark when someone comes to the door. It's about one's training and ownership, not about breed.

• Gold Top Dog

I think that it is less about breed and more about time and training.  We had a very high energy young pit mix in a very small one bedroom apartment--but we had an area nearby where she could run loose and we walked her a lot.

As long as he were exercized I think Jack the Lab would do fine in an apartment.

The only thing i would really look out for as far as breed is the fact that owning certain breeds will make finding somewhere to live a lot more difficult.  Most apartment complexes around here will not accept pits, rots, dobes, GSDs, chows, Mastiffs, huskies, Akitas, etc---or mixes that look like those breeds.  We were very lucky to have had a landlord who allowed us to have Sally--my cousin went through hell trying to rent a place with her 2 rotties.

• Gold Top Dog

My corgi does excellent in my apartment. She has the cat too. Shes never alone though. She goes to my parents everyday, while I'm at work and goes everywhere with me.

• Gold Top Dog

As others have said, it is really all about time and training. I lived for many years in an apartment with my Chow, Basset and Yorkie.  They were all quiet an well mannered. 

• Gold Top Dog

If you think you'll need to be in an apartment for even part of the next    15-20 years PLEASE keep it under 35 pounds.  Why? 

Because it's the favorite way apartments have to limit dogs -- yes, it's all about stereotypes BUT if you're on the owner end of the leash, YOU have to comply.  You also will, at times, have to find a place to live pretty darned fast.  And places that take a dog over 35 pounds can become super hard to find.  Even going in motels there can be silly restrictions on bigger dogs.  

In other words, if you want to set yourself up NEVER EVER to have to sacrifice a dog again, then truly be incredibly far-sighted on this.  You don't have to do a "dinky" dog -- there are TONS of dogs that are "medium" or "medium-small".

Let me suggest the

ASPCA Complete Guide to Dogs (Aspc Complete Guide to) (Paperback)

(sorry, I copied that from Amazon -- not trying to yell at you LOL)

It is THE handiest book, particularly if you are undecided about breed(s).  It breaks it into the AKC groups, but then it also tells you with each breed their size, coat, health issues, and then there is even a helpful group of pictures at the end of each "group" that shows you what MIXES of this group may look like.  

But it's realistic -- at least as realistic as a small book can be -- and it will tell you if the dog is a shedder or what it's tendencies are.  It also will tell you whether or not it's a good dog for a novice, or how much exercise the dog needs.

Let me put it this way -- NOW I have bigger dogs.  But all the years I was in an apartment I had a SMALL dog.  

Did anyone ever say to me "No, you can't have THAT dog here -- she's too small!"  Nope -- not ever.  

The other thing you may want to consider is there are some breeds (particularly bully breeds) that can make it darned near impossible to have renter's insurance.  THAT ALONE can keep you out of some places.

There's a point where it's GREAT to want to fight city hall and "stick up" for a breed -- but when you are trying to keep a roof over your head and KEEP YOUR DOG??  "fighting" can be more than you may be able to handle if rocky times come.

We all tend to assume "Oh, things will be BETTER by then ..."  But life just isn't like that.  When I was very young I could always "go home".  But 5-10 years later?  Nope.  

I'm not knocking bigger dogs at all -- but when you know full well that your life is likely going to be apartment-bound for the next several years?  Making the decision to err on the **very** safe side can be a really smart one.  

• Gold Top Dog

I agree with everything Callie said! I'm not in an apartment but when I was looking for another dog, I wanted a GSD (Still do!) but realistically thinking if I were to move to the city, could I bring a large dog like that to an apartment. Nope! 

So in the end I have 2 dogs. One is 40lbs, that's pushing the limit but usually you can talk to the management. And one is 10lbs. I also have a cat but I haven't seen a weight restriction on a cat before.. Lol.