fluffy corgi?!

• Gold Top Dog

fluffy corgi?!

I was looking at pictures of corgi's and came across a "fluffy". They are so stinkin' cute! Has anyone ever heard of a fluffy corgi, is there such thing or are they a mix of some sort?

Here are some picture links I got from google...I hope they work.

http://www.corgisupplies.com/images/koda.jpg

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/jeepgal71/?action=view¤t=Murphey.jpg

• Puppy
    corgichick

I was looking at pictures of corgi's and came across a "fluffy". They are so stinkin' cute! Has anyone ever heard of a fluffy corgi, is there such thing or are they a mix of some sort?

Fluffy corgis can definitely be purebred. I've even seen fluffies show up in a litter from two CH parents. They are adorable, and I keep telling my corgi-showing friends that they are crazy to consider fluffies to be a disqualification. Their argument is that if fluffies were allowed to be shown, then breeders would select for more and more extreme coats and corgis would end up being the same sort of fluff balls that rough collies, shelties, and to some extent, conformation aussies and border collies have become. It's a good argument against allowing fluffies to be shown actually, but they are adorable as pets.
    • Gold Top Dog

OMG!!! He's adorable!!

To answer thou - Yes, Corgi's can be 'fluffy' or 'long-coated' it comes up in many breeds(Akita's being one..) they are not show quality due to how *most* breeders get over-board and vary to much from breed standard.

Personally, I *want* a long-coated(fluffy) Akita! I just can't have an aggresive breed with Sam being aggresive. Sad, sad, sad....

• Gold Top Dog

Yup, they're purebred. :) They've been around from the beginning of the breed, and they're not uncommon even in well-bred litters. In Cardis, we've had a few national specialty winners out of fluffs, even!

I kind of think I'd like a fluff for my next Cardi, but I'm not sure I'm ready for another one yet.

• Gold Top Dog

The "fluffies" are purebred, but are not considered breed standard, just like the "bluies" or the "mismatches". There used to be a fluffy on here named Shippo, adorable.

• Gold Top Dog

Awwww somebody remembers Shippo!

I haven't posted here in a long time, but a friend of mine just brought this thread to my attention, and I couldn't resist!
    Shippo is actually a pup from two Ch. parents, like mentioned somewhere above. He is 3 now!

• Gold Top Dog

Shippo and Evee! Welcome back!

• Gold Top Dog

A woman who's daughter does the 4H dog project classes has one she brings to class.It is cute, to me it just doesn't look like a Corgi but more like a sheltiex.

Tena

• Gold Top Dog

We SOOOOOoooooo need more Shippo pics. He is just too gorgeous! He's matured into a very beautiful dog.

• Gold Top Dog
    They are so cute! Huskies come in 'fluffy', too.

http://www.huskycolors.com/wooly.html

• Gold Top Dog
    jennie_c_d

We SOOOOOoooooo need more Shippo pics. He is just too gorgeous! He's matured into a very beautiful dog.

I snuck over to the picture section last night if you're interested. =3
    • Gold Top Dog

Shippo is so gorgeous.  It is kind of too bad about the fluffies, but I really respect them for resisting the urge for "more fur, down to the floor."  It's true about the Huskies - and there's a practical reason - it's dangerous in snowy working environments to have a lot of dangly hair.

In Border Collies, the show people justify all the drippy coat by saying they are dogs bred to work in the harsh cold environment of the Borders.  Um, well, the people who actually work there prefer smooth coats or very moderate coats because snow balls up in dangly hair, ice gets between toes and can actually tear up skin or even break bones in the feet while the dog is running around.  The hair gets matted in the belly hair and rapidly starts cooling the dog down, leading to frostbite and hypothermia.

The Corgis come from Spitzy herding stock and probably one of the attractive things about the breed was the short but dense coat.  Welsh winters in the hills can be very harsh, too.  Once upon a time, Shetland herding dogs had the same short dense coat, apparently, judging from old pictures, but the "fluffy" variety submerged the old style once the breed was pretty much 100% pettified.

Once thing about fluffies - once you select the rough coat over the husky type coat, you can't go back - ie, if you breed two fluffy dogs together all the puppies will be fluffy.  The husky coats (and smooth coats) will be gone from the line forever.  Smooth coats are dominant, but that means that the long coats have two genes - so if you combine that with another dog with two fluffy genes, there's only fluffy genes to pass on.

Border Collies in Australia eliminated the smooth coat within a few generations of deciding that only rough coats would be allowed.  The big problem with that is that they seem to have isolated some pretty mean mutations by doing this - among them a deadly disorder which ONLY show Border Collies has. 

Plus, the working style changed really quickly from lots of keenness and slinky crouching, to very upright and collie-like la-la working.  You never know what you are bumping out of the gene pool or fixing INTO the gene pool, when you select an arbitrary RECESSIVE characteristic to be the standard.  That's why the working Border Collie people have always been so dead set against any type of showing.

• Gold Top Dog

Very cute wish Copper had that hair

• Gold Top Dog

buster the show dog
    corgichick

Fluffy corgis can definitely be purebred. I've even seen fluffies show up in a litter from two CH parents. They are adorable, and I keep telling my corgi-showing friends that they are crazy to consider fluffies to be a disqualification. Their argument is that if fluffies were allowed to be shown, then breeders would select for more and more extreme coats and corgis would end up being the same sort of fluff balls that rough collies, shelties, and to some extent, conformation aussies and border collies have become. It's a good argument against allowing fluffies to be shown actually, but they are adorable as pets.

Yup, I have one that comes to my classes and play groups, although her coat is not extreme, like the dog in your the first photo (that one sort of looks like a Sheltie got lucky LOL).  She's an awesome little dog, has correct Corgi temperament, and physically, is 100% Corgi except for the coat.  One drawback - when she poops sometimes a tiny bit gets stuck in her skirt...  As the owner of an "original" Aussie, I can sympathize with not wanting a merle Golden Retriever!  So, perhaps it's best they aren't in the show ring, but then, I prefer function over fashion.

• Gold Top Dog

I know someone with a long-haired Malamute, too. She is drop-dead gorgeous, but her coat is a nightmare to maintain. It tangles if you look at it sideways. It is too fine and if she lived in the snow she'd struggle.

Incidentally, I've seen plenty of working BCs over here that have short coats, and seen some short-coated pets, too. There's lots of variation in coat length in that breed. 

There are a couple of people I know of with racing Sibes. There's a really strange dichotomy about Sibes and breed standards. The racing Sibes absolutely meet the standards and are registered and have long pedigrees and are carefully bred, but put them in a show ring and they'd come last. Or so I'm told. I feel bad for the racing Sibe people because should they turn up at a show with their dogs they get sneered at and show people give them a lot of crap. Not all show people, just some.