Breed Question

• Bronze

Breed Question

You may have seen my previous post, asking about Golden Retrievers. I even found a sweet puppy that I was going to move forward on until talking to my vet and getting the ins & outs of particular local breeders. I want a sweet, loving, loyal dog but I don't want to support breeders who are in it only for the money aspect; not the care of their dogs. In todays economy, how come breeders have 4 litters at once; what happens to the puppys that don't sell? The vet gave me reputable breeders names for other breeds. I had my heart set on this pup though but he said get it with my head and not my heart. I don't want to support puppy-millish type breeders, you know? I googled "Best family dogs" and some were an Irish Setter, Lab or Westie. When thinking of getting a dog, I want to be fair to the dog too...we are gone at work during the day for near 5-6 hours. I know that we'll need a breed that will be ok with being alone that long. I'm really doing my homework and want to make the right decision for our family and for the dog. I'm going to contact the GRCV for Golden Retriever referrals; but if we move onto a different breed, is there one that you would suggest? Back ground info: There's 4 of us - Myself, husband, 2 kids (ages 12 & 15). We live on a 1 1/2 acre, unfenced yard. We have a pool so a dog that likes to swim would be really cool. We're loving people and want a dog that is loving back. Any thoughts?
    • Gold Top Dog

Have you looked into any retriever rescues in your area?  I would be shocked if there wasn't one close to you, since very popular breeds tends to equal a large amount of said breed that end up in rescue.  Typically a rescue will have lots of information on the dogs they have, especially if they foster them in volunteer homes.  They will be able to help you choose a particular individual dog that would suit your family.  Worth a quick google search, anyway.  Good luck!

• Gold Top Dog

Where do you live?  I know of a Golden Retriever breeder whose dogs are very loving, gentle, mellow temperament (much more calm than most retrievers).  Most have obedience and/or agility titles and several are therapy dogs.  So far I have not met one of her dogs I have not liked.  They are not the temperament and drive for me, but they are wonderful family dogs.  I think there is a litter right now, not sure how often they breed.  I can give you the info if you like.

• Bronze
    Thanks!! Actually I'm in Michigan too. Any information on your friend would be appreciated.
    • Bronze

Rescue is a great option. Another option would be for you to contact the parent club for breeder referrals (AKC's parent club for Golden Retrievers).

I agree, shop with your head, not your heart. A good breeder will screen their stock for all known genetic issues with that breed, and do their best to breed away from those issues. You will pay more for a dog like that initially, but generally you'll save yourself a lot of vet bills in the future by paying a little more now.

I think its great that you dont want to support back yard breeders/puppy mill situations! Being an educated consumer would help alot of dogs from making it in to the pound and rescue groups. Kudos to you!!

Just about all puppies are cute. Try to do as much research as you can before ever getting to the step of physically seeing the pups, it'll help out alot.

Take care!!

Kelley

• Gold Top Dog

I PMed you a link

• Bronze

Thank you!

• Gold Top Dog

There are many breeds that would fit your needs, and as long as you give them exercise, being gone at work for that long really isn't too bad.  Most people are gone for much longer!  I would definitely suggest a rescue or a local shelter.  The shelter/rescues can generally give you a fairly good idea about what the dog is like (and they do have puppies, too, although you won't be as informed about them).  Was your heart set on a puppy?  An older dog (even just 4-6 months old) will give you a better idea of how the dog will act and what it will look like. 

I will give a word of warning on Westies since they were listed.  They are great dogs and I think they are great family dogs, but we see SO many Westies in with health issues.  Lots of allergy problems with the breed, among other issues.  If you do go with a Westie, be SURE that you get a very, very good breeder or you may end up with lots of vet bills down the road. 

Some lines of Goldens have also been known to be aggressive, but if you're going with a good, reputable breeder then you shouldn't have a problem.  Goldens are great dogs and from what I've seen of them tend to be "grumbly" (they'll talk to you!).  Some people might mistake this for growling, so just warning you.  ;) 

I'm very proud that you decided not to go forward with this puppy and support bad breeding.  Yay!  :) 

• Gold Top Dog

I have had good experience with this Golden breeder (know people who have dogs from her, know her from shows) and have honestly never heard anything bad her. If you're too far or she doesn't have any upcoming litters, I'm sure she could give you names of other good breeders: http://gideongoldens.com/

• Gold Top Dog

BJW40
    Thanks!! Actually I'm in Michigan too. Any information on your friend would be appreciated.

There's a very good Labrador Rescue group in Michicgan- Central Michigan Labrador Rescue Network.  They might be able to help you.

http://www.cmlrn.com./

• Bronze
    Thanks Sue, Funny because I have previously looked at "Faith" the lab on petfinders and also at the rescue that you mentioned. I'm going to check her out again! By no means am I trying to offend breeders but even though our last dog was a rescue and my vet suggests getting a purebred from a good breeder so that we know the health history; I'm on the fence about getting another rescue dog because I'm having a hard time thinking of paying 800 - 1300 for a dog when there are so many others that need a home. Not that money is the issue, it's the thought of passing up the opportunity to save a life. Our rescue was only with us 2 years and it was hard; so a purebred by a breeder sounds good but so does saving a mixed dog. I'm undecided.
    • Gold Top Dog

Good luck on your search.

Also wanted to add that you ARE saving a life when you adopt from a rescue group, it frees up space in a foster home and the rescue can pull another dog from a kill shelter and place it in foster care.  Just saying.....

• Gold Top Dog

JackieG

Good luck on your search.

Also wanted to add that you ARE saving a life when you adopt from a rescue group, it frees up space in a foster home and the rescue can pull another dog from a kill shelter and place it in foster care.  Just saying.....

And you have the added benefit of knowing how the dog is with kids, cats, etc.  Whichever you choose, however, this is a breed that does have some significant health problems in the gene pool.  So, I would still opt for pet insurance regardless.  Even a great pup from two parents with excellent hips can turn out to have dysplasia.

• Gold Top Dog

Something else to consider - ask breeders about the potential of getting a rehome from them. Good breeders sometimes get dogs returned to them if they don't work out witht heir owners for whatever reason. Also breeders sometimes have older puppies or younger adults who didn't grow up to be show quality that they place in pet homes. Or breeders may have Champion dogs that for whatever reason, they place when they are done showing because they don't want to use them in their breeding program. Yet another option is to contact guide or service dog orgs and inquire about adopting a dog which did not make it as a service dog. All service dog orgs have a percentage of dogs, which for various reasons won't make a good service dog that they place into pet homes. These are ways you can have the benefit of a well bred purebred dog without the cost of purchasing a puppy. Also in some cases these dogs will already have some or all of their health testing done, so you will know the status of their hip, elbow and eye health before bringing the dog home.

Don't feel you must adopt a dog because someone put an idea in your head that adoption is some how better or "the right thing to do". There is nothing wrong with buying a well bred, purebred puppy. I'm not saying not to look at rescues or shelter but get another rescue or shelter dog only if that is what you really want and not because of some misplaced guilt that you "should" be giving a rescue dog a home.

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

Don't feel you must adopt a dog because someone put an idea in your head that adoption is some how better or "the right thing to do". There is nothing wrong with buying a well bred, purebred puppy. I'm not saying not to look at rescues or shelter but get another rescue or shelter dog only if that is what you really want and not because of some misplaced guilt that you "should" be giving a rescue dog a home.

I definitely agree with this.  *You* are going to be the one living with the dog for the remainder of it's life, so make sure that you are not allowing outside pressures to influence you.

Also, if you get pet insurance make sure that the company covers genetic comditions--not all of them do.