Breed Question

• Bronze

Sorry to resurface this old thread. I just had a question:  For a sweeter and gentler temperment do you recommed a boy or girl?

Also, Liesje - I Pmed you a question about the breeder you mentioned.

Thanks all!!! 

• Gold Top Dog

For the sake of discussion I'll just answer here.  In general, I don't know that it really makes a difference one way or the other.  A good breeder will want to know what type of temperament you are looking for and will provide you with that dog, whether it's a girl or boy.  My first dog was the exact opposite of what I wanted (including gender), but was/is the right dog for me.

If you have other dogs, that changes things.  My alpha dog is a female so I went with a male puppy (especially considering this dog would not be spayed or neutered for several years, I did not want an assertive bitch and another intact bitch).

As far as this particular breeder, I have met two of each and cannot say there are really any noticable differences between the males and the females.  All were very sound, social, gentle, mellow dogs.  Of the four, the two males seemed slightly more up and energetic than the females, but compared to the drivey GSDs I'm used to, they are like zombies compared to my dogs (in a good way).

• Bronze

Thank you for the reply.  I'm waiting for her to get back from out of town and going to make my deposit for her next litter.  I'm so excited! 

Tonight walking out of Walmart there was a person from "Support the troops" with a Golden puppy that he was training.  The pup was 9 weeks old and she was a sweetheart.  It just confirmed that I'm ready to love another dog again after putting my dog down two years ago this May 14th.