Breed suggestions...

• Bronze

Why not a small beagle/beagle mix?  Pretty low maint, just brushing the coat but no real grooming.  Terriers are ok but many require some professional grooming as do many of the toys--unless a min pin or something of that nature.  Cockers can have some significant health problems (seizures, ear problems, cancer) and require grooming.   Beagles sometimes have ear problems but if she stays ahead of the game she could be ok. 

My personal fave for older people is the tibetan terrier if you don't mind taking them to the groomer once in a while.  I've met a lot of 50-somethings that have them and just adore them.  The dogs are just *full* of life and if you keep them in a puppy cut, they're adorable and fairly easy to manage.   I suspect I will have one someday. 

Go to a local dog show, see what is there, talk to people if you can.  You don't have to go through a breeder but that's the best place to talk to a lot of people.  *Sometimes* the people there will have an older show dog they're placing for whatever reason, you could get a nice trained dog fairly cheaply.

• Gold Top Dog

Definitely a senior dog for a senior just recovering, what wonderful thing for both the dog and grandma.

I say a pug would be a wonderful fit for a senior all they need is love, a lap and a place on the bed!  And they don't need a lot of exercise.

There is Dharma, 13 years old and Kenji 8 years old.

http://www.pugrescuenc.org/

• Gold Top Dog

I would avoid any toy breeds as they pose a major tripping hazard for the elderly. I suppose all dogs do to an extent, but the smaller the dog, the harder to see under your feet, and the dog could be seriously injured if stepped on etc. I know Jack Russells are very high energy for the most part but once they get older they do tend to settle down. My grandparents bred them and had many older dogs who were very calm and obedient. If you could evaluate the dog before adopting that's something to consider. Though they do shed quite a bit coat maint. is easy and they are sturdy little dogs. A senior beagle would probably be a good choice too. A cocker, maybe? Perhaps an all american heinz 57 from a local shelter!

• Gold Top Dog

I personally would suggest a little larger dog (not large, but maybe a little bigger than a Dach and other of the tinier breeds).  As others have said, they're much easier to trip over, which could hurt the dog and your grandma!  Just looking through petfinder around your area, I've found the following senior dogs available...

Beagle, Dachshund, Welsh Corgi, JRT - At Haven-Friends For Life in Raeford

This guy also seems promising - http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11504702  His adoption fee is only $25, and that includes his rabies vaccination.  And he's already neutered and ready to go!  St Pauls looks like its oly about 30 minutes away from you, so it would be worth checking out.

Now this guy is a little further away (over an hour I think), but he looks like a possiblity.  Not sure how often kids come over...?  http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12582300  He does have some medical issues, though, and his adoption fee is $150 (which is reasonable, considering they're just getting back money from his neuter, vaccines, meds, etc.)

• Gold Top Dog

honestly - I would stay away from a 'specific' breed. She knows what she's looking for - small, no grooming, not too young - just look around and keep your options open. Some dogs don't fit the breed 'standard' as far as behaviors. I've met some nice chis, and some really not-so-nice ones as well - it just depends.

We've got a 10 year old chi who is just the sweetest thing, such a lap dog and quiet. I think chis tend to get a bit of a bad rap sometimes, but not always!

• Gold Top Dog

Well I agree a mixed breed from the shelter, evaluated first would be a wonderful pet for a senior.  I suggested a pug because you asked for a breed.  My senior neighbor adopted a mix breed who at the time was 9 (the dog) and the owner around 58, she had to put her down at 15 years and now is thinking of an older senior pet again.  She really wants to give an older pet a good senior life that will in return add to her own quaility of life as she gets older. 

Good luck I am sure you will find grandma a great pet to keep her company and give her love.

• Gold Top Dog

Does she realize that Toy Poodles are just as yappy as Chihuahuas?

• Bronze

I was going to suggest a pug or pug mix too. They are very loyal, loving and make a great lap dog. However, they are just big enough you wont be tripping over them all the time.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks guys, I was asking for breeds to narrow it down more...ya know? Give me and her a general area to look.

The AC in her county always has tons of "beagles"(as in, walker/beagle/lab/all-american mutt....apparently the best "hunting" dogs, an thats why there all shelter dogs).....it's a small kill shelter, but they always have lots of nice dogs for such a rural area.

• Gold Top Dog

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12510887 < would definately have to do a name-change! My uncle's name is Terry! LOL! GOod, older, big boy......

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11865622 < I think that would be a good match. But, I'll have to talk to her....

• Gold Top Dog

Having worked with a lot of seniors and a lot of disabled people, I can tell you that an energetic toy dog might not be the best choice, especially if her illness is terminal.  She will eventually get weaker, and be unable to care for the dog or manage it.  Truly, a serene, quiet, affectionate dog is probably a better choice.  She may be grateful that her quiet dog can lay nicely on her bed for pats, or not tip over trays or medical equipment.  It sucks to have a dog that you love, and be unable to have it in your room because of things like that. 

Try a rescue group that can tell you how the dog acts in its foster home.  Be sure that the dog gets along with your own dogs (in case your cousin can't take it).  JMHO, having seen the sadder outcomes.  One of the best things about my Sioux was that she was well mannered and quiet enough to even visit in the hospital.

• Gold Top Dog

My 2 get along great with 'small' dogs....I've noticed that Sam is only agresive towards males, and dogs his size and larger. Taz is good with **everybody**, literally, he's cool with every dog he meets.

My grandma's cancer is termenial, but she doesn't have any equiptment in her home, and the kemo is going to shrink the few spots she has. I'm no Dr. but, I think the prognosese is years.

The last link is an older female beagle. I seriously think that would be the best bet for her....after we both go to meet the dog. If I can talk to my Grandma about it this week. I think I'm going to go hang out with her wed. thru thrus.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989
    just look around and keep your options open. Some dogs don't fit the breed 'standard' as far as behaviors.

Best advice ever! Not just for Misstrouble but for anyone looking to adopt.That being said.our shelter always has lots of Toy Fox Terriers.I owned one years ago and he was very nimble.Never got underfoot like our Westie did.Ours was very protective of our family and not great with other dogs though.The beagles that turn up at our shelter tend to be STRONG pullers so you may want to make sure the one you are considering is good on a leash.

Tena

• Gold Top Dog

4HAND

The beagles that turn up at our shelter tend to be STRONG pullers so you may want to make sure the one you are considering is good on a leash.

Ahh, crap. I forgot about the whole leashg deal. She doesnt have a fenced yard, so it deffiently needs to be a good on-leash dog.

Ok. Trying the search again.....*sigh*

• Gold Top Dog

How about an older Cocker Spaniel? Or a Pekingese, Whippet or Pug. There's also the going to the shelter route and finding a mixed breed dog that fits her criteria.