Hounds

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks Pwca - That's what I'd like to do, but, it will be many, many years before I can get another dog......I like shelter dogs alot, I've had both breeder dogs and shelter dogs - I can't say which is better, but I feel alot better about getting a shelter dog.

A lot of the Bluetick breeders websites I have been on have a "Rescues" section or a bunch of links to rescues. An older dog would probably suit me better - seeing as the largest hound I've ever had was a 20lb Beagle/Doxie mix =P LOL

• Gold Top Dog

We're pretty sure Apollo is part some type of hound. He's pretty loud (especially when excited). He has the deep, loud bay-ish bark that hits you in the chest like a bass. And he has extremely high endurance.

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

Luvntzus

very vocal and a hound bay is worse than a normal bark.

It's not worse, IMO, a hounds brawl or bay is much easier to hear then a bark, musical even. Thou a heck of a lot louder then a bark(if thats what you ment)

No, that's not what I meant. lol It's a matter of opinion, but I find Hound bays to be really annoying. I've heard other people say the same.

• Gold Top Dog

Luvntzus

misstrouble

Luvntzus

It's not worse, IMO, a hounds brawl or bay is much easier to hear then a bark, musical even. Thou a heck of a lot louder then a bark(if thats what you ment)

No, that's not what I meant. lol It's a matter of opinion, but I find Hound bays to be really annoying. I've heard other people say the same.

Thats true - opion. =] I know a lot of people around in my area who will *never* own a hound due to the bark/bay. Eh, more floppy-eared houndy-ness for me!! LOL!

• Gold Top Dog

Luvntzus

misstrouble

Luvntzus

I would tend to agree.  My friend rents property next to a family that has multiple coonhounds that they keep kenneled for hunting, and most of the sounds I've heard out of those dogs are a bit obnoxious..... 

• Gold Top Dog

sillysally

most of the sounds I've heard out of those dogs are a bit obnoxious..... 

Not to be rude - but do ya think it's because they're kenneled all the time?

I find Sam's wine's while he's in the kennel annoying, but he can make the same noise outside the kennel and it doesn't bother me.

Just a thought,

But I do understand not liking a certin type of dogs bark - I can't stand Chihuahua's just because of the dang yap.

• Gold Top Dog

EEeeep!!! Houndy dawg!!!

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12043869

I really like this guy. But, I must resist!! LOL, he's got the biggest ears! LOL

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

EEeeep!!! Houndy dawg!!!

I really like this guy. But, I must resist!! LOL, he's got the biggest ears! LOL

You could always foster Wink. I think fostering is a good way to learn about different dogs personality/breeds.

• Gold Top Dog

Sowilu

You could always foster Wink. I think fostering is a good way to learn about different dogs personality/breeds.

That I could(maybe), but I couldn't re-home a face like that! Unless it didn't work with Sam and Taz.

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble

Sowilu

That I could(maybe), but I couldn't re-home a face like that! Unless it didn't work with Sam and Taz.

Fostering has open the doors to realizing that dogs have different personalities just like people. It has also taught me lessons that I didn't know I could learned. I always say to my self no matter how cute an animal looks will he/she fitt? I don't care if somebody dumps me my dream dog (Rottie) but if things don't work out I will rehome. Do that with a hound. Find one in need of help and foster him. If you find him/she to be too much than you will know its not the time. Just don't rush into adopting an animal they will come to you, like I always tell one of my best friends "Give time its time".   

• Gold Top Dog

Sowilu

Fostering has open the doors to realizing that dogs have different personalities just like people. It has also taught me lessons that I didn't know I could learned. I always say to my self no matter how cute an animal looks will he/she fitt? I don't care if somebody dumps me my dream dog (Rottie) but if things don't work out I will rehome. Do that with a hound. Find one in need of help and foster him. If you find him/she to be too much than you will know its not the time. Just don't rush into adopting an animal they will come to you, like I always tell one of my best friends "Give time its time".   

I know - but on top of the fact that he's a hound, and he's a fairly large dog(at least he's tall). My parents have said no more animals. If I want to foster him, I'd have to get rid of another pet - probably that evil kitten.

• Gold Top Dog
    Sowilu

misstrouble

EEeeep!!! Houndy dawg!!!

I second that! That's what I plan on doing next fall with a Cane Corso. I wanna make sure they are the breed for me.

But I don't know of many fosters that would foster a dog out to an apt. -shrugs- They might, but nonaround me do.

• Gold Top Dog

I actually talked to my mom about fostering today. I got nowhere. Plus, little Mr. Ike(hound in the link) is 2+ hrs away. So, she said no to that althogther. She listened to me talking about fostering for about 20 mins before she changed the subject. Sad I told her next dog I find - I'm keeping. She said 'Says who?!'. So I can't foster a stray either. She's kind of old-fashioned about dogs. Dogs are mostly outdoors, you can adopt from the pound or buy one, and if they're in the pound and dont get adopted - oh well. Thats basicly her thinking. It makes me very sad.

Gina - your post about Greyhounds helped me a little thou. They're a Greyhound rescue here in NC! I saw a posting on CL TODAY!!! So, I thought of you, and your sugestion, and checked out the site! I saw a few dogs I really like, maybe I caould put the Greyhound on my list of 'Get to know them better'! But I noticed that most of them don't like kitties - and I have 2 of those monsters. I don't know if I'm going to keep the kitties, or if I'm keeping both.....I'm just not a 'cat person', as much as I like them, they just dont seem to fit here - althou the cats and dogs do like to play together.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, the majority of scenthounds have the tendancy to be vocal but that doesn't apply to all. With proper stimulation and training, hounds can easily learn when to bay and when not to. IMO, being able to keep a hound in an apartment has a lot more to do with the handler's commitment and consistency than a hound's tendancy to bay.

HoundMusic
    As for keeping a coonhound in an apartment, NEVER. Forget the baying, it would be torture to the dog! They are hunting hounds and need to be outside where they can stretch their legs and have a good run several times a day. I'd kill for a redbone or an English foxhound, but can't keep such a magnificent hunting breed in a small yard. The larger scenthound breeds are a lot of dog, and would be a challenge even with a good sized property. I seriously doubt one could ever be kept in an apartment ...

I am baffled by this.  Let's forget baying... What does the size of your home have to do with the stimulation you provide a large scenthound??? Does the size of your home somehow stop you from exercising and training your hound both inside and outside? What does a backyard have to do with anything?? Large scenthounds are A LOT of dog, NO DOUBT. They need to run/sniff for hours and get plenty of mental stimulation as well; a backyard or a mansion doesn't let a hound "stretch their legs" anymore than 200sq ft apartment... especially since in the world of large scenthounds, "stretching" their legs consists of running for miles upon miles.... Inside, most don't do anything more than hunt the couch (so long as their needs are met of course).

• Gold Top Dog

that may indeed be so. But...I cannot see why ANYONE would actually recommend a coonhound for indoor apt living. I really think there are a plethora of other breeds and mixes that would do better in that situation...than a breed made to run hours upon hours baying away. Regardless of how they are on their downtime...to me it is merely a matter of "why try to fit  a square peg into a round hole"...even a smaller scenthound would be a better choice than a large coondog.

I doubt many breeders etc would likewise...recommend their breed to apt dwellers...sometimes what is possible with diligence and training...doesn't outweigh the practicality of the situation.