Hounds

• Gold Top Dog

Hounds

How well would a hound do in an apartment? With daily run's and TONS of training?

I love hounds, Blueticks are probably my favorite. Close second is Redbone's and then Plott's(I looooove Plott hound markings).

When I move out, and probably after the apartment stage, I want to get a rescue, if at all possible, but I'd still need to know how well this breed would manage. I know they over-run with energy, but as puppies are highly train-able.

• Gold Top Dog

I would not advise it - hounds are VERY vocal....

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

I would not advise it - hounds are VERY vocal....

I know. =] I know I wouldn't mind - the neighbors might thou!

• Gold Top Dog

^ and that's the biggest problem. I would not adopt any of my houndy fosters to an apartment complex. It's just to fair to anyone.

• Gold Top Dog

I would never recommend a Hound for an apartment. My best friend had a Bluetick/Black & Tan mix and currently has a Redbone Coonhoud. Both of them are very vocal and a hound bay is worse than a normal bark.

• Gold Top Dog

Yep, but, as I said - it'd probably be after the whole apartment stage, when I'd **hopefully** be in a small house by myself(with Sam, of course) and possibly a BF or roomy if thats whats needed

• Gold Top Dog

Luvntzus

very vocal and a hound bay is worse than a normal bark.

It's not worse, IMO, a hounds brawl or bay is much easier to hear then a bark, musical even. Thou a heck of a lot louder then a bark(if thats what you ment)

• Gold Top Dog

I'm iffy about doing a Beagle in an apartment ... I've had two in an apartment, and the first one was more active, and just literally wasted away. That is a regret I carry to this day. She was completely unhappy with apartment life. The other Beag I had in an apartment handled it much better, had more exercise but still wasn't really ideal. I do sell pups to families in apartments, but have to look at it on a case by case basis - often the situation just isn't right, so I have to tuen them away :(

As for keeping a coonhound in an apartment, NEVER. Forget the baying, it would be torture to the dog! They are hunting hounds and need to be outside where they can stretch their legs and have a good run several times a day. I'd kill for a redbone or an English foxhound, but can't keep such a magnificent hunting breed in a small yard. The larger scenthound breeds are a lot of dog, and would be a challenge even with a good sized property. I seriously doubt one could ever be kept in an apartment ...

• Gold Top Dog

HoundMusic

The larger scenthound breeds are a lot of dog, and would be a challenge even with a good sized property. I seriously doubt one could ever be kept in an apartment ...

Thats what I figured - I was just hoping someone knew of a case where it worked. Oh well, I'll hold off on the hounds until I can own my own property away from the city, with some land. *sigh* Better to get this thru my head now, rather then later after I've made the poor thing suffer, right?

• Gold Top Dog

misstrouble
    How well would a hound do in an apartment? With daily run's and TONS of training?

Hounds...people always think scent...the WHIPPET is a hound and I think it would do wonderfully in an apt with proper exercise. As would a retired GH...which is also...a HOUND.

Think outside of scent HOUNDS and you have many good viable options for apt living...IMO.

• Gold Top Dog
    Based on my friend's beagle in their apartment, I'd say beagles are not generally a good choice for apartment living. Maybe it'd work if they actually cared about exercising their dog (she never gets out of the apartment) but the baying is just non-stop and she just really deserves better. It always makes me sad, but I can't go over there anymore because the beagle is so unruly it has literally injured me many times by being too wild. Now at the shelter we did have one beagle that I think would've made a good apartment pet. She was unusually quiet, a bit less hard headed than most beagles, and was older and not very active.
    • Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

Hounds...people always think scent...the WHIPPET is a hound and I think it would do wonderfully in an apt with proper exercise. As would a retired GH...which is also...a HOUND.

Think outside of scent HOUNDS and you have many good viable options for apt living...IMO.

True, but I'd be worried about a Whippet - they look so frail and breakable....personally, I like a dog that atleast **looks** like he/she could handle some rough housing. A retired GH is a good option too.....But they tend to need jackets(or so I've heard), and even thou it's not too cold in NC, I don't want to fuss with a jacket on my dog for a short walk.

Whippets and Greyhounds are super cool dogs, I just don't think they're right for me.

I'm still kinda flip-floping on *what* breed I want - I'll probably end up with a mutt of a mutt of a mutt that doesn't really look like any particular breed at all. But - one day, I **will** own a scent hound! I've kinda got my mind set on that much. LOL

• Gold Top Dog

Whippets are not fragile LOL. I have two in my neighborhood and they are tough looking athletic dogs...of a good size...true medium size. Maybe you're thinking of an Italian Greyhound. THOSE look frail to me.

If you like the look of a hound but the traits don't work you can consider other drop eared big eyed breeds...CKCS, Spaniels of various types, Gordon Setter, etc.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

Maybe you're thinking of an Italian Greyhound. THOSE look frail to me.

I actually forgot that they're seperate breeds! *duh* Maybe thats it.....hmmm

rwbeagles

If you like the look of a hound but the traits don't work you can consider other drop eared big eyed breeds...CKCS, Spaniels of various types, Gordon Setter, etc.

I like the look, but I also love true hounds. I had a Cocker as a kid - one the best dogs I ever had(well, my Mom's dog). CKCS are very cute, but they are small, I like big(er-ish) they look like mini-Cockers to me. I love IS's and other Setters too, yet another option.

• Gold Top Dog

Okay, all that stuff above? Very, very true. HOWEVER.... one of the benefits of rescue is that you CAN find that one dog that is atypical for the breed- the husky that won't pull, the BC that has no herding drive and is a couchslug, the lazy, lazy pointer - they're out there. If you really love hounds? Keep your eyes open and something may pop up in the shelters. I *would* get an older dog with a presumably lower energy level, and a known history of NOT being very vocal- but it might be do-able. (You might be looking for a very, very long time.) 

All that said, I've got a friend who has two PBGVs in an apartment and they do great!