Bullmastiff

• Gold Top Dog

Bullmastiff

I've started reading up on this breed and love the way they look.  But it seems like you can't have this type of dog with another dog is this really true?  I have a 1yr old female cockapoo and eventually wanted another dog.  Would having a femal mastiff cause a problem??

• Gold Top Dog

Mastiff's arnt typically DA. Where did you hear that from? Thats kinda odd, LOL.

Edited to say: If you curretnny have a female it would be best to get a male dog.

A good question to ask yourself is if you think this type of dog would fit your lifestyle?

• Gold Top Dog
    I think it would depend on the individual dogs personality. I love Mastiffs but they are not a breed for everyone, they need a strong leader and someone who is willing to work with them in training. They are not your happy-go-lucky-love-everyone kind of dog.

Sometiems same-gender pairings dont go so well, a neutured male might work better with another female but like I said it depends on the dogs individual personality.

• Gold Top Dog

AuroraLove

Mastiff's arnt typically DA. Where did you hear that from? Thats kinda odd, LOL.

A lot of the breeder sites in my area stated that and on one of the bull mastiff club page.  If I do get another dog, I don't want a male though; back to the drawing board LOL 

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

brandy76
    If I do get another dog, I don't want a male though

not sure what your reasons are but thought I'd say that I thought I wanted a female, fell in love with a male pup and honestly I don't think I'd have a female now (over 2.5 yrs later)

My understanding is that putting two females together is the hardest to get to work - not saying it doesn't and that everyone has problems but that is the toughest pairing from what I understand

Anyway good luck!

• Gold Top Dog

I think female to female problems are the hardest to solve and if theres a fight, it's NASTY.  It's not a given that there WILL be problems, as the 2 dogs would be very different in age, size and type.

Why do you not want a male? Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

Bullmastiffs are generally pretty submissive. I know this because (unfortionatly) my cousins are breeders.

They have many BM's and they all get along well =)
    I strongly suggest however that you either be sure to get him/her fixed, or there are rescues for mastiffs that you might want to look into =)

• Gold Top Dog

brandy76

I've started reading up on this breed and love the way they look.  But it seems like you can't have this type of dog with another dog is this really true?  I have a 1yr old female cockapoo and eventually wanted another dog.  Would having a femal mastiff cause a problem??

Being a owner of a Giant breed I would highly suggest you research this breed and hang out on the Mastiff dog forums.  You have no idea ..   there IS a big difference between having a Labrador, German Shepherd, Cockapoo and a Mastiff. A grown male often weighs about 200 lbs. It is not unusual for a male to weigh even more.

I am sure no one has ever bought a Mastiff without being impressed or attracted to the breeds size and massiveness. It is also a fact that large dogs eat more than small dogs. This means more money for dog food. Large dogs also need space and Mastiffs druel – big time, all the time and everywhere! Large dogs need to be trained, unless you want to live with the feeling of having no control when you walk the monster. Are you strong enough, or rather experienced enough, to train a fast growing giant pup? What about your car? How do you plan on bringing the dog with you? Do you have the room for him at all?

There are several things to consider when you're looking for a new dog, most of them apply whether you want to buy a puppy or a rescue dog. You can get some more input about this by reading the puppy-page at MASTIFF-WEB. You should also take the survey "Is the Mastiff the right breed for you" at MASTIFF-WEB, in order to get an idea of whether getting a pup is a good decision or not. GOOD LUCK!

• Silver

Bullmastiff's are a truly beautiful breed, and were actually one of the three breeds that we were very seriously considering.  Their wonderful around family, and children (provided there is supervision), and sometimes they get along wonderfully with other dogs and small pets:  However...

There are some issues concerning same sex parings.  Usually it's males who are unneutered that can have dog aggression, but other wise they're tolerant dogs, when properly socialized and trained**. They are a dominant breed, and with a stubborn attitude mixed in, you definitely need to have a firm (yet gentle) hand when training.

We had the pleasure of knowing a couple of BM, and both (males) had absolutely wonderful temperaments.  The one especially had a penchant for children and would have given his life for them.  He was tolerant of the neighbourhood children playing with him, as well as other dogs.  The owners also were well protected.  In the four + years that they so far had their BM, not once did they ever lock their front door. (Stick out tongue)  The other was owned by a police officer who had small children and needed a dog noted for it's gentleness.

**This is where finding a reputable breeder comes into play.  Some have never had any issues with aggression, others may have some who are more dominant, and need a more experienced handler.  Plus too, seeing as BM are prone to several health conditions, an experienced and knowledgeable breeder will have screened for the usual health suspects.

You mentioned that you have already been doing some research GeekedYes, but here's a site that really is loaded with info:

http://bullmastiffinfo.org/

Their beautiful dogs, and I wish you lotsa luck in your search!

Ashley

• Gold Top Dog

i was thinking mastiffs (english and bull) were used in packs? they were anti-poaching-theft-trespassing dogs...?

i'll tell you this based on MY experience.... if you got a female BM pup, get both dogs spayed. obedience train this pup a LOT. and keep to a solid functional routine. it really depends on your older dog's attitude. if she's still a puppy at heart and loves to play... then its likely when/if you get a BM pup they'll get along famously.

now i will ALSO tell you this from experience... when i lived at home we had three dogs. Doberman mix(m), Collie mix(f), and a JRT mix(f). the two girls got along because they had to. However Amber, the terrier, would aggressively guard her crate from the female, along with other toys and blankets. if Maggie, the collie, walked past those items the terrier got snarly. once i moved the crate to the bedroom the tension eased.... but only a little. there were a couple of fights between them because the terrier wanted to suddenly guard the toy EVERYONE was playing with. she never attacked the male dog... he could do no wrong! but Amber did NOT like Maggie. Maggie was non-confrontational. if Amber growled, Maggie would turn around and leave.

I dont like owning same sex dogs.. i really do prefer male/fem combinations because it just works better.... HOWEVER!! if the pups are fixed and raised together there isnt likely to be a problem. it also depends on breed! bulldog types tend to be a lot more aggressive towards their own gender. i own American Bulldogs and have seen this happen before. i was dog-sitting my cousins male bulldog and my own male bulldog just decided one day he didnt like Bo anymore. "Big dumb block head was moochin in on my treats and my people's petting!"  so while i was handing out treats .... Ben just nailed Bo... and poor Kaydee was right in the middle! she got flattened by these two hippos.. i was an idiot for doing it, but i had to reach in and grab one... the invisible fence line was only a few feet away.. once i crossed it Ben let go of his attitude. after that day i couldnt risk the two being together... thankfully Bo finally got to go home but yes.... forcing two adult dogs of the same gender together can be hazardous!!! especially the bull breeds.

and since you dont want a male, i may not be helping you decide on one, but listen... females are just as bad, if not worse..... it all boils down to the age of the pup, your dog's personality, and how much time you put into helping them get along...and yes, hormones!!

• Silver

DumDog

i was thinking mastiffs (english and bull) were used in packs? they were anti-poaching-theft-trespassing dogs...?

Mastiffs (English) were used for guarding castles and estates in Britain, while Bullmastiffs, were used to prevent poaching on estates.  That's where they developed the moniker "Gamekeepers Night Dog". 

Therefore, Mastiffs were more likely to be used in packs, to patrol the property, but Bullmastiffs had a more solitary purpose.  Often, poachers would have dogs of their own, which Bullmastiffs would have to contend with, along with the poacher.  Gamekeepers needed a dark colored dog (hence why brindle BM's are the preferred color) that was aloof to both strangers and other dogs.  It is because of this inherited trait, why some BM can have same sex dog aggression.

As a side note, even some Mastiffs can have dog agression, but it isn't as prevalient as it can be with BM's.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm definitely in the very beginning stages of getting another dog, so will read up on those great links posted.  I had a Golden growing up so know about the cost of food & obedience, but understand the mastiff is in a whole other category!!!

I love the female breed because, in my experience, their calmer.  I hate the whole marking thing that many of my friends deal with their male dogs (even the ones who are fixed).

My current cockapoo is 1yrs old (spayed) and very submissive. As soon as we enter the dog park and the dogs come around to smell her, she immediately goes on her back with legs open & tail wagging, letting them do whatever.  She is not aggressive at all & doesn't even know how to defend herself when the little dogs bark or nip at her, she just runs away (a very timid, scary dog around other dominant dogs).

Thanks again & now after reading everyone's posts will seriously consider this one!!

• Gold Top Dog

brandy76

I'm definitely in the very beginning stages of getting another dog, so will read up on those great links posted.  I had a Golden growing up so know about the cost of food & obedience, but understand the mastiff is in a whole other category!!!

I love the female breed because, in my experience, their calmer.  I hate the whole marking thing that many of my friends deal with their male dogs (even the ones who are fixed).

My current cockapoo is 1yrs old (spayed) and very submissive. As soon as we enter the dog park and the dogs come around to smell her, she immediately goes on her back with legs open & tail wagging, letting them do whatever.  She is not aggressive at all & doesn't even know how to defend herself when the little dogs bark or nip at her, she just runs away (a very timid, scary dog around other dominant dogs).

Thanks again & now after reading everyone's posts will seriously consider this one!!

I've met a lot of calm males and a lot of non-calm females.  It depends on the individual personality of the dog.  And my female dog marks by lifting her leg on things.  Gender does not guarantee anything but reproductive parts. 

• Gold Top Dog

swamper

I've met a lot of calm males and a lot of non-calm females.  It depends on the individual personality of the dog.  And my female dog marks by lifting her leg on things.  Gender does not guarantee anything but reproductive parts. 

Oh yes, I walk 2 female dogs (1 Lab, 1 Golden), both spayed, and both lift their legs to mark like a male!

• Gold Top Dog

BannedBreed Lover

DumDog

Mastiffs (English) were used for guarding castles and estates in Britain, while Bullmastiffs, were used to prevent poaching on estates.  That's where they developed the moniker "Gamekeepers Night Dog". 

Therefore, Mastiffs were more likely to be used in packs, to patrol the property, but Bullmastiffs had a more solitary purpose.  Often, poachers would have dogs of their own, which Bullmastiffs would have to contend with, along with the poacher.  Gamekeepers needed a dark colored dog (hence why brindle BM's are the preferred color) that was aloof to both strangers and other dogs.  It is because of this inherited trait, why some BM can have same sex dog aggression.

As a side note, even some Mastiffs can have dog agression, but it isn't as prevalient as it can be with BM's.

I think the job was for the dog to LIE ON the poacher, not attack them.  Just "hold" them until the gamekeeper got there.  Hence why they are rarely aggressive but they are a massive size.... and, as someone else said, aloof to stranger.  As I say, I THINK Smile