Breeds that have double dewclaws...? *pictures added-guess their breeds*

• Gold Top Dog

Breeds that have double dewclaws...? *pictures added-guess their breeds*

I know a few breeds (like Pyrs and Beauceron) that have them, but do you guys know more that commonly have double dewclaws?  Just curious...we got a litter in today at the HS and one of the pups has double dewclaws, but I highly doubt he's got any Pyr in him (doesn't seem big enough at 8 weeks, but I suppose the age could be wrong, as well...we never know).  I realize that it is a recessive gene and can be passed on even if neither the mom or dad had doubles, but I figure there's a pretty good chance that one of the parents had doubles, or at least a dog close up in the lines had them.  Thanks!  The reason I'm so interested is that I am considering adopting a female friend for Rafers  (lol)  but I'm being pretty picky.  And I definitely can't take on a Pyr sized dog at the moment...hehe!

Here are some photos of these guys...The top photo is the two males, and the black pup is the one with double dewclaws.  Any clues?

• Gold Top Dog
    Yes there are a other breeds that have double dewclaws including Lundehunds, Icelandic Sheepdog, Anatolians, Estrela Mountain Dog and more. Including other flock guardians.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Pirate had double dews on both BACK legs, and he's no more than 20 lbs. He's kind of a weird-o :)
    • Gold Top Dog

Now that is weird.  lol!  I just don't think these guys are any LG mixes, though I suppose it is a possibility.  They're all red and rust (like dobie pattern), except for one mostly black puppy with tan and white on the paws.  Two are fuzzy and the other two or short coated.  Any ideas?  I may be able to show you some pictures at some point (they should be up on petfinder soon).  I'm just not sure of what they could be because they're so young and we really don't know their ages for sure.  The color could come from something as big as a Dobe or as small as Dachie for all I know.  lol!

• Gold Top Dog

Added some photos.  Help me out here!  lol!  :)  I'm really curious as to what you think these guys are.  I know it is really difficult to tell.  More info at the top.  Oh and one of the females has a short tail...not like it was docked, but more like how a GSP or Weim's tail is docked.  It looks like it is natural, but I suppose it could have been docked or maybe crushed when she was just a few days old.  They estimate that they are 8 weeks, but I'm thinking that they may be as young as 6 weeks. 

• Gold Top Dog
    They look like Aussie mixes to me.
    • Gold Top Dog

They look a little like rotties to me so I did a quick google and got this:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/romanrottweiler.htm 

"Dewclaws may be cut, back dewclaws/double dewclaws are common at birth."

I know, not the most reliable or expert source of info, but heck, if Pirate can have double dewclaws, maybe they're not as unusual or unique as they say!  They sure are cute!

A few other references to rotties with double dewclaws.

From Yahoo

From Petfinder

Red the Rescue Rottie

• Silver

BCMixs

"Feet are somewhat longer than the front feet, turning neither in nor out, equally compact with well arched toes. Pads are thick and hard. Nails short, strong, and black. Dewclaws must be removed." American Rottweiler Standard, 1990 http://www.amrottclub.org/rottweiler_breed_standard.shtml

The standard (both Canadian or American) doesn't mention about rear back dewclaws, but I have heard/read of several breeders who mention the removal of dewclaws, specifically the rear ones.

The puppies to me don't look much like Rottie crosses, but more like Australian Shepherd x, or even Kelpie type mixes.

"Front dew claws may be removed. Feet are oval, compact with close knit, well arched toes. Pads are thick and resilient." United States Australian Shepherd Association.  This to me has an open interpretation, indicating that Aussies can/occasionally do have rear dew claws. http://www.australianshepherds.org/akcbreedstandard.html

• Gold Top Dog

i havent got time to read everyones replies but i had an AussieShepXPit/Doberman that had double dews on his hind legs.

and my mom's collie/sheltie had one itty bitty dew claw on hew hind leg.. the other leg had no dew claw.

and years ago a friend had a pup that was part collie/shepherd/chow/Xlab that had doubles..

i see a pattern lol 

• Gold Top Dog

I'm thinking Aussie/Aussie mix.

Many breeds can be born with the double dewclaws to. So it might not be a breed that is typically noted as having them.  

• Gold Top Dog

BannedBreed Lover

BCMixs

"Feet are somewhat longer than the front feet, turning neither in nor out, equally compact with well arched toes. Pads are thick and hard. Nails short, strong, and black. Dewclaws must be removed." American Rottweiler Standard, 1990 http://www.amrottclub.org/rottweiler_breed_standard.shtml

The standard (both Canadian or American) doesn't mention about rear back dewclaws, but I have heard/read of several breeders who mention the removal of dewclaws, specifically the rear ones.

The puppies to me don't look much like Rottie crosses, but more like Australian Shepherd x, or even Kelpie type mixes.

"Front dew claws may be removed. Feet are oval, compact with close knit, well arched toes. Pads are thick and resilient." United States Australian Shepherd Association.  This to me has an open interpretation, indicating that Aussies can/occasionally do have rear dew claws. http://www.australianshepherds.org/akcbreedstandard.html

Considering Roman Rottweilers are likely mixed with flock guardian breeds it would make sense that they might frequently have double dewclaws. I know some claim them to be simply large Rotts but there is reason to believe that they are actually mixed to achieve the size and temperament difference, as well as the different build. They don't look like simply a bigger Rottweiler to me but have a different conformation. Also if they were larger Rotts there would be no reason to try and get them recognized as a different breed. I think of them along the same lines as the King Shepherd.

• Silver

Spicy_Bulldog

Considering Roman Rottweilers are likely mixed with flock guardian breeds it would make sense that they might frequently have double dewclaws. I know some claim them to be simply large Rotts but there is reason to believe that they are actually mixed to achieve the size and temperament difference, as well as the different build. They don't look like simply a bigger Rottweiler to me but have a different conformation. Also if they were larger Rotts there would be no reason to try and get them recognized as a different breed. I think of them along the same lines as the King Shepherd.

Ok.. I try to keep atop of all the latest news that involves most breeds, especially Rotties, but you really threw me a curve ball when I read about 'Roman' RottweilersSurprise.  I had honestly never heard of this 'type' before.  So I did some sleuthing, and found that basically the type that I had been calling 'Mastiff like' is what they consider to be the Roman ones.  On several of the sites, it mentions that 'Roman' Rotties have a tendency to be born with double dewclaws, which as you mentioned, coming from flock guardian breeds.  Myself, I prefer the standard German type Rottie; I feel that the larger Roman/Mastiff Rotties are just too big in conformation, and they've lost those clean lines.

AshleyDog

• Gold Top Dog

BannedBreed Lover

Spicy_Bulldog

Ok.. I try to keep atop of all the latest news that involves most breeds, especially Rotties, but you really threw me a curve ball when I read about 'Roman' RottweilersSurprise.  I had honestly never heard of this 'type' before.  So I did some sleuthing, and found that basically the type that I had been calling 'Mastiff like' is what they consider to be the Roman ones.  On several of the sites, it mentions that 'Roman' Rotties have a tendency to be born with double dewclaws, which as you mentioned, coming from flock guardian breeds.  Myself, I prefer the standard German type Rottie; I feel that the larger Roman/Mastiff Rotties are just too big in conformation, and they've lost those clean lines.

AshleyDog

Yup I'm with you I prefer the correct Rottweilers. Even some people believe they need to breed those huge and then keep them 20lbs overweight so they can brag about it. Confused

Oh I like your signature btw. 

• Silver

Thanks.. I like yours too!

• Gold Top Dog

Spicy, now that you mention it in the shelter I work at we had this MASSIVE rottie in the other day.  I mean we had an English mastiff cross and it was much much bigger than her.  (You should've seen it's head!)  I thought it was so huge compared to the rotts my relatives had.  I didn't even know people were breeding them like that on purpose.