Breeds that have double dewclaws...? *pictures added-guess their breeds*

• Gold Top Dog

Laurelin_429

Spicy, now that you mention it in the shelter I work at we had this MASSIVE rottie in the other day.  I mean we had an English mastiff cross and it was much much bigger than her.  (You should've seen it's head!)  I thought it was so huge compared to the rotts my relatives had.  I didn't even know people were breeding them like that on purpose.

Yup some are breeding just for size. Inga talks about it on DF sometimes. Like how people do this with Pits also. They cross breed Pits with large guardian breeds. Who knows perhaps the Rott in there was a "Roman Rottweiler" Did he/she get adopted?

• Gold Top Dog
    Yeah he did pretty quick. I forget his name and how much he weighed. the mastiff x was 92 lbs and he was a lot bigger than her- and probably underweight actually. He was a big doofy kind of boy. Not the sharpest dog but really sweet. And boy could he drool! My uncle used to work rotts on his ranch as cattle dogs and the difference between him and my uncle's Hannah was astounding. Yet he still looked entirely rottweiler, just not correct. He's the only rott we've had so far that I know of.
    • Silver

I remember seeing a 'Roman' once who weighed in at 179 lbs.. This isn't a Rottweiler!!!  Max a male in good physical shape to me should be between 100-115 lbs., any more then that and the dog starts to loose it's working ability.  Rotties aren't bred to be giant lumbering hulks...aargh... So many of them are being bred with this giant gene and it opens up a flood gate of health problems; in specific hip dysplasia.

A friend of ours had a 150 lb. female Dobermann.  She was gorgeous, but had to be euthanized at the age of 5.  Why?  Because for the remaining 6 months or so of her life, she had to be carried up and down stairs by the wife.  She couldn't get up on a bed, nor could she run or jump.  Her hip dysplasia was so severe, that according to the vets it was too crippling to operate on, plus with her being an over sized Dobe, there was no point in surgery.  Her owner was devastated, and has not owned a Dobe since.

I'm so sorry for hijacking this thread.. Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Laurelin_429
    They look like Aussie mixes to me.

That's what I thought, too.