Do you see Great Dane in this dog?

• Gold Top Dog

Do you see Great Dane in this dog?

My latest foster that I picked up last night.  I need to change the boat scene in my sig.

My rescue org wants to list this guy named Sampson as a Lab Great Dane mix.  To me, he is pure black lab.  He weighs 82 pounds but is very boney to the touch so I guess his normal weight will be 100 pounds.  He stands about 26 inches to the shoulders.

What do you think?

• Gold Top Dog

100# is very large for a lab... I can maybe see a bit of dane in his head...not sure though. I wouldn't say he's pure lab though.

• Gold Top Dog

I see great dane in his face. One of my friend's aunt has a great dane boxer mix and she looks like your foster in the face. 

• Gold Top Dog

Seriously Dave,,,I see no Dane in the foster at all.  He looks pretty much like my brother in laws old dog, Max...a full blooded black lab.

For me....Danes have eyes that are unmistakenable ( ha..is there such a word??? ) and I don't see that in this dog.  I had a Shepherd/Dane years ago... and that was the one thing about her, her eyes did not look the same as a Shepherd...other then that she looked just like a tall one.  

Just my opinion!

• Gold Top Dog

Yes I see Dane...about the face, in the eyes, and most definitely in the length of leg to body ratio and body shape in general.

• Gold Top Dog

What a beautiful dog!!!!

I see some Dane in the legs because they seem so long. Defiantly looks like a Black Lab/Dan mix.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

Yes I see Dane...about the face, in the eyes, and most definitely in the length of leg to body ratio and body shape in general.

What she said.  His head shape, eyes and jowls are VERY reminiscent of one of the Danes I spend a few hours with every week.   

• Gold Top Dog

Sampson does look tall but that is because he is emaciated.  He is 26" and the standard is 24".  It is not uncommon for a lab to have a normal weight of 100lbs.

He looks just like the lab in this reference (page down) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever

I don't mean to oppose but I see Sampson and Petro side by side.  The head shape of Sampson does throw me though.  More flat and wider than a lab.

• Gold Top Dog

As a mix he would be between the two size wise...which he is. I also found quite a few look alikes on a Dane rescue page listed as "Dane Mixes". He does not look like an old dog either...how old is he? If he'd been fed and cared for properly beforehand he might've had quite a bit more height.

Is there any particular reason be cannot be a Dane/Lab mix? Would that be bad somehow or require a special permit or something?

ETA: Sans papers in hand...why would anyone say "pure" anything with a rescue dog? Or are you guys trying to get him placed with a breed rescue?

• Gold Top Dog

labs are supposed to be between 60-75 lbs - not 100. I see dane. Is there a reason why he cannot be listed as a dane mix?

ETA: I think he looks a lot like Bugsy - who is a lab/dane mix.

• Gold Top Dog

Upper end of breed standard for a male lab is 80 lbs...so while it might not be uncommon to see a 100 lb lab, that's not "normal" as such.  If I saw that dog at the park, Dane/Lab mix would be my very first thought. 

• Gold Top Dog

Oh no, no particular reason other than I want to be honest.  Without knowing the background for sure, we would never use the word PURE.  And as a matter of fact, any Dane mix would be very popular, maybe more popular than a Dane or a Lab.  Remember Essie the Weimer/Dane mix? 

I see tartar on his teeth but not much so his age is a minimum of 2 years old.

• Gold Top Dog

Ahh I see..honesty is good. Best of luck with finding him a home with folks who like a lot of dog! He looks like a sweet boy.

• Gold Top Dog

From Wikipedia,

Weight: 60–75 big males often 100 lb (27–34 kg)

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    He looks like a sweet boy.

He does.  If I were in the US I'd be tempted, looks like he'd be a nice playmate for Ben.